May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Getting it is one thing, dieing of it is another. If the infection rate curve is integrated over a longer time, more people survive,as the medical facilities can more readily cope.
death rate seems to be based on age group. Those with underlying health conditions are most at risk. So if your government does more testing, that should give to the health professionals better grasp of the problem and better at reducing new infection rate. Reducing the infection rate is the key to flattening the kill curve.
Our government prefers doing as little and cheaply as possible, arguing that doing more would cause more disruption.
that prompts me to suspect that rationing testing is the key strategy here - they don't want to know the rate of community transmission. Or is it they don't want the public to know?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The (everywhere but Scotland) government's policy of continuing to allow big gatherings appears to be folding. If things like football shut up shop there will be considerably fewer big things happening in the first place.

Premier League prepares for suspension after Arteta tests positive for Covid-19
  • Brighton v Arsenal game on Saturday is postponed
  • Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi also tests positive
  • Premier League to hold emergency meeting on Friday
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/12/premier-league-plays-on-as-normal-while-other-top-leagues-cancel

Anyone got shares in Subbuteo?

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Wicky

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I noted on Question Time last night on the BBC the boss of Iceland frozen foods who is pro Brexit thought it would be sensible to pause the trade negotiations with the EU. He said both sides had currently so much to deal with, trying to cope with the virus.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I noted on Question Time last night on the BBC the boss of Iceland frozen foods who is pro Brexit thought it would be sensible to pause the trade negotiations with the EU. He said both sides had currently so much to deal with, trying to cope with the virus.
He seemed to be a surprisingly good contributor to the program. Very clearly confirmed he had not been approached by the government as they had claimed. And the idea that we can meaningfully negotiate trade deals in this situation is uttery fantasy.

Why, even literally signing deals could be a problem.

Meanwhile, Stephen Barclay was as confidence-inspiring and believable as ever.

Apparent he was head of Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions. Very odd. Why would anyone launder anti-money? Indeed, just what is anti-money? Did they mean antimony?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He seemed to be a surprsingly good contributor to the program. Very clearly confirmed he had not been approached by the government as they had claimed. And the idea that we can meaningfully negotiate trade deals in this situation is uttery fantasy.

Why, even literally signing deals could be a problem.

Meanwhile, Stephen Barclay was as confidence-inspiring and believable as ever.

Apparent he was head of Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions. Very odd. Why would anyone launder anti-money? Indeed, just what is anti-money? Did they mean antimony?
I think I understand the principle of "Anti money"

It's the Accountant's term for a way of declaring "non profit making" in diverse places simultaneously for tax avoidance purposes

I believe that Apple have several patents on it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Very clearly confirmed he had not been approached by the government as they had claimed.
perhaps it's enough talking to ex Waitrose's boss.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
death rate seems to be based on age group. Those with underlying health conditions are most at risk. So if your government does more testing, that should give to the health professionals better grasp of the problem and better at reducing new infection rate. Reducing the infection rate is the key to flattening the kill curve.
Our government prefers doing as little and cheaply as possible, arguing that doing more would cause more disruption.
that prompts me to suspect that rationing testing is the key strategy here - they don't want to know the rate of community transmission. Or is it they don't want the public to know?
It all sounds like “dither and delay” from Boris Johnson to me. But that accusation has already been deployed, by Boris Johnson against Labour.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Someone on QT brought up a good point last night. What about prisons and nut houses? When the virus takes hold in these places the consequences are going to be dire. What will the government do?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let’s hope that’s all it is, have a restful night my friend
Thanks OG. Looks like it's probably just a scare.

I slept ok and this morning the nose has largely stopped running and it seems like it's just a common cold as I suspected. I haven't had one of those for more than a decade so had almost forgotten what they are like.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will be able to report back on that. We have basically taken a lockdown strategy effective from 6:00 pm today. All Colleges and Schools closed, ,any indoor venue with 100 plus not allowed ,any outdoor venue 500 + .
It does not seem that it requires policing, as every public organisation, sporting body , yoga club etc has been busy saying they are closed for business until 29th. March .
What is more incredible is the solidarity across all the political parties . It looks as we will have a national government de facto, not de jure , as all the party keaders are working together.
I was thinking more in terms of real lockdown, curfew style. I agree with you that the sort of measures you mention are easily enforced.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was thinking more in terms of real lockdown, curfew style. I agree with you that the sort of measures you mention are easily enforced.
The next phase is being considered. There is almost certainly a UK equivalent, but the Irish 1947 Health Act does give extraordinary powers to the Local Public Health Director.. Obviously a medical civil servant, regarding forced detainment and quarantine. These are being discussed, and merely require a Ministerial Order.
But as I said, the level of compliance with the quasi voluntary pronouncements of yesterday is unprecedented. As the Taoiseach, Leo is currently in the USA, his deputy Simon Coveny was on our late night TV polical program last night. He attempts to be polite and inoffensive in any of his answers, but got caught out when asked about Cheltenham. He struggled inwardly for a few seconds before saying ." Well it would not have gone on in this country.".... Which is basically saying we are furious that such a wanton and potentially destructive activity ,which will put thousands more at risk was ever considered a good idea.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The head of HR at the Daily Mail has written to all staff saying that government advice is not adequate, and they will be going further than the official advice in order to protect their staff.

This government is completely out of its depth. They have packaged “let’s do nothing and hope it somehow pans out favourably” as official advice. They are rapidly losing the trust of the population and that’s the last thing we need right now.

That medical advisor who is constantly flanking Boris Johnson is being set up. He’s going to be the government scapegoat. I don’t know what they have promised him, but it must be something juicy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Interesting (scary, but probably not conspiracy theory) article brought to my notice by a colleague.
excellent write-up.
The distance between the peaks real contaminations (26-Jan) and apparent detections (5-Feb) is about 10 days. Between lockdown (23-Jan) to under control 11-Feb): 3 weeks.
That shows how our government is wrong not to start shutting down public gatherings.

This is what happened in Hubei, we can all learn from their experience:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers