may be it's in the water.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
No one seems to point out the somewhat obvious flaw in the "Herd immunity Plan"
When the advice the population is to "Self isolate" and" avoid social contact"

What logical principle will induce "Acquired Herd immunity"
In an isolated individual?
There is no herd immunity plan. It’s incompetence by another name, or officially sanctioned incompetence. It’s going to create an unmanageable spike in cases. It’s like a WW1 plan to send a bunch of Tommies over the top to their doom. Spend lives to save face.

When this is over, they can say that they were successful in their ambitions to be incompetent (herd immunity). Why do you think they have stopped counting cases?

The WHO have busted their myth.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This will really upset Trump

"
Mexico is considering closing its border to stop Americans bringing coronavirus into its country

Ipso fatso (more or less) :cool:

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There is no herd immunity plan. It’s incompetence by another name, or officially sanctioned incompetence. It’s going to create an unmanageable spike in cases. It’s like a WW1 plan to send a bunch of Tommies over the top to their doom. Spend lives to save face.

When this is over, they can say that they were successful in their ambitions to be incompetent (herd immunity). Why do you think they have stopped counting cases?

CV has worse figures than WW1.

UK WWI casualties - 1.88% to 2.2%

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is no herd immunity plan. It’s incompetence by another name, or officially sanctioned incompetence. It’s going to create an unmanageable spike in cases.
the UK have done nothing worthwhile in Phase 2 containment.
Herd Immunity won't work for all the reasons given.
But nor will Containment which is no longer possible in today's UK.

Global research from Episerver, which surveyed more than 4,500 shoppers, found that 38% of UK consumers buy online at least once a week, more than any other world region surveyed. That will obviously increase as a defence against Covid-19.

I recently commented on a courier delivered online order where I was delivery number 122 out of 136 for that day in my high density area.

On each of the prior 121 deliveries the driver had met the customer face to face, handed over the box gadget and stencil for the customer to hold them and sign. He then took them, went back to the van and unable to wash his hands proceeded to complete the same with all the customers of the 136 drops.

That driver had far more very high risk transmissable each way contacts than if he'd gone as a spectator to any mass event of 500 to 2000 or more people. And that is every one of his working days ad infinitum.

Even in the delivery runs in low density areas including stretches of countryside, I know from those who've done these jobs that 40 to 60 or more drops is the norm with only groceries deliveries in smaller numbers per day.

Clearly these courier drivers will be a major vector in the viral transmission of Covid-19 if the expected spread is experienced.

This factor alone affecting two fifths of the UK and increasing, substantially and perhaps totally offsets any good from barring mass events where personal contact is more superficial.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
On each of the prior 121 deliveries the driver had met the customer face to face, handed over the box gadget and stencil for the customer to hold them and sign. He then took them, went back to the van and unable to wash his hands proceeded to complete the same with all the customers of the 136 drops.
Might not have much effect but we now have a stylus near the front door. Any signature device proferred gets a scrawl from that.

The driver does, at least in theory, have the option of a sanitiser wipe each time they return to the van. I suspect few, if any, are doing so and supplies of suitable sanitiser might be an issue. But that is something the companies could have helped with.

When it comes to big events, there are things which could make a big difference. Like someone checking every ticket as people come in - if done by hand. They could pass it on to everyone who comes through their gate. Like security friskers. I'm sure we could come up with many more.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At last someone has a cure....but don't all rush.... o_O

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-india-cow-urine-pa-idINKBN2110D5

Hindu group offers cow urine in a bid to ward off coronavirus
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A Hindu group hosted a cow urine drinking party on Saturday as they believe it wards off the coronavirus, as many Hindus consider the cow sacred and some drink cow urine believing it has medicinal properties.

Experts have repeatedly asserted that cow urine does not cure illnesses like cancer and there is no evidence that it can prevent coronavirus.

The “party,” hosted by a group called the Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha (All India Hindu Union) at its headquarters in the country’s capital, was attended by 200 people, and the organizers hoped to host similar events elsewhere in India.

“We have been drinking cow urine for 21 years, we also take bath in cow dung. We have never felt the need to consume English medicine,” said Om Prakash, a person who attended the party.

I think this is about as credible as anything Boris has proposed so far
ie: not

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

I think the last people who felt human sacrifice on this scale a good plan to combat a threat were the Aztecs

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Herd Immunity won't work for all the reasons given.
But nor will Containment which is no longer possible in today's UK.

Global research from Episerver, which surveyed more than 4,500 shoppers, found that 38% of UK consumers buy online at least once a week, more than any other world region surveyed. That will obviously increase as a defence against Covid-19.

I recently commented on a courier delivered online order where I was delivery number 122 out of 136 for that day in my high density area.

That driver had far more very high risk transmissable each way contacts than if he'd gone as a spectator to any mass event of 500 to 2000 or more people. And that is every one of his working days ad infinitum.

Even in the delivery runs in low density areas including stretches of countryside, I know from those who've done these jobs that 40 to 60 or more drops is the norm with only groceries deliveries in smaller numbers per day.

Clearly these courier drivers will be a major vector in the viral transmission of Covid-19 if the expected spread is experienced.

This factor alone affecting two fifths of the UK and increasing, substantially and perhaps totally offsets any good from barring mass events where personal contact is more superficial.
It is highly workable ,if the driver has disposable gloves.,and stays away from the recipient.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The driver does, at least in theory, have the option of a sanitiser wipe each time they return to the van. I suspect few, if any, are doing so and supplies of suitable sanitiser might be an issue. But that is something the companies could have helped with.
Hopeless though, a sanitiser wipe doesn't compare with a thorough hand wash which is the minimum necessary. And in any case these drivers are very pushed to do this large number of drops in a day so haven't the time for such niceties. My drop number 122 was at the end of the afternoon and he had 14 more drops to go to. In fact I remarked to him on the slave driving and gave him a three quid tip from sympathy.

He instructed God to bless me!

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hopeless though, a sanitiser wipe doesn't compare with a thorough hand wash which is the minimum necessary. And in any case these drivers are very pushed to do this large number of drops in a day so haven't the time for such niceties. My drop number 122 was at the end of the afternoon and he had 14 more drops to go to. In fact I remarked to him on the slave driving and gave him a three quid tip from sympathy.

He instructed God to bless me!
If it works at £3:00 it's certainly a better investment than membership of the Conservative Party! :cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is highly workable ,if the driver has disposable gloves.,and stays away from the recipient.
Nonsense, that is truly ridiculous. Take flats like mine with an external hall door handle to many flats which he has to use, so the glove would get contaminated unless he removed it with each of such common deliveries. The same goes for the many speakerphone access buttons and the microphone grill spoken to close up.

But in removing and replacing the glove repeatedly he'd contaminate his hands. And as remarked above, they simply don't have the time for such niceties.

As for staying distant, that's impossible for handing over sometimes heavy items and getting the signature, since he's then within a metre and breathing space.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Nonsense, that is truly ridiculous. Take flats like mine with an external hall door handle to many flats which he has to use, so the glove would get contaminated unless he removed it with each of such common deliveries. The same goes for the many speakerphone access buttons and the microphone grill spoken to close up.

But in removing and replacing the glove repeatedly he'd contaminate his hands. And as remarked above, they simply don't have the time for such niceties.

As for staying distant, that's impossible for handing over sometimes heavy items and getting the signature, since he's then within a metre and breathing space.
That is defeatist... A single pledge floor wipe with bleach,will last a block of flats. Dipping his gloved hand into a pocket containing the wipe..keeps everything sorted in that point. Even a plastic bag with soapy water will work... There is no point in being absolutist here, everything is about probabilities

• Disagree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I popped into town to pick up repeat prescription meds and stock up on coconut bubble bath & posh Imperial Leather soap. All seemed pretty normal.

Though unusually Far East Asian students from the local university were noticably masked up - less to do with reasons of infection control, more in defence of racist accusations I suspect.

At Boots a sweet lttle white haired granny at the till had to do the walk of shame to return to the shelves all the tissues & disinfectant wipes in her basket, apart from the two packets allowed, she was attempting to buy.

Rest of world is turning on its head with Mexico considering closing the border with US...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Though unusually Far East Asian students from the local university were noticably masked up - less to do with reasons of infection control, more in defence of racist accusations I suspect.
That is not that unusual here (Winchester) even without the outbreak. I think the reason is more that they are used to it at home as fairly common. There was always a significant number of people wearing masks in the streets of Beijing for various reasons (mainly pollution).

It was similar for us 40 years ago when we got used to wearing bike helmets in California. When we returned we continued to do so (mostly, not always) even though it was then unusual here; it didn't feel odd because we were accustomed.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

I had an argument with oh about this earlier. She made me buy surgical masks online. I said that in reality, with her fiddling with it (as she will), touching it, other surfaces, also when outside, on the tube, etc - I am not at all convinced of its actual protection. I can imagine social distancing and physically avoiding areas (eg not using tube at all for next month) might

• Agree

Advertisers