Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And there is more

Graham Davis @AgendaForReform
· 14h
#Dyson didn't work through the night to design a new ventilator as announced by @BBCHughPym it was designed by The Technology Partnership #TTP in South Cambridge and given to Dyson to manufacture.

Thoughts on this Dyson person
Recently I bought a new rechargeable vacuum cleaner, and the choice was between a Dyson and a Vaxx
The ridiculously over complex cluster of mini cyclones in the Dyson were obviously going to suffer major clogging problems so I went for the much more logically but less glamorous Vax
I was right the Vax will still work even with a full dust chamber, a friends Dyson clogs far too easily.
It is a device where style has overtaken function, and overpriced too.
Not impress with this guy or his so called designs, or are they his?
Ditto, fully agree and much more happy with the Vax than the Dyson my brother had.

Dyson is full of BS, and I wasn't impressed by his moving production to China but retaining UK manufactured retail prices.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Why invent a new machine at a time like this and try to develop it and roll it out in a crisis.
Basically I agree. There is one possible reason; it may be that the known machines are difficult to manufacture in a plant designed to manufacture something else. Changing the design may be quicker than changing the plant. Especially for small design changes that don't significantly affect the overall function; but I don't think any of us would call that inventing a new machine.

From what I have read the work of the group at Oxford and other places is much more along the lines of tried and trusted but with a few design tweaks.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
A group of youths spat in the face of an RSPCA officer and shouted “have corona bitch”, as she tried to rescue a swan, the animal charity have said.

I have always had deep reservations about tasers, but some behaviour makes me think I would be the first to fire one, given the chance.
Local moron here thought it would be fun to do similar over a police officer.... GBH charge awaits and hopefully the magistrate will give him 6 months to think about doing it again.

PSNI says a 39-year-old man who claimed to have Covid-19 deliberately coughed over 2 officers called to a domestic incident at a house in north Belfast. He has been charged with attempting to commit grievous bodily harm.
9:29 AM · Mar 26, 2020·Twitter Web App

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
An ex colleague who now lives in the south of France tells me that before going out, he had to download a form, tick the boxes, from six available options which describe the reason for his outing, sign it and carry it with him for inspection. He says the police do stop people and ask to see the form.

I think those measures are necessary, particularly here in the U.K. where most people are idiots. Yesterday was like a Bank Holiday. They can’t be trusted to act responsibly and need locking down by force and fear.
Yes the French form is printed in the daily newspapers .. basically self certification .
Obvious reasons. Food, medicine, daily excercise, caring for elderly listed essential work. In general people on this side of the Irish sea, North and South are behaving well. We had one highly publised incident where a couple ..man and wife ..aged 40 plus ran up behind our Minister for Health and coughed in his face and ran away. On national television the Minister..who has health problems , coeliac I think, accurately referred to it as gobshitery !.
There is uproar about it .. not the language, which is fully acceptable here but the crass ungratefulness of the lout.
Our Government and particularly Simon Harris, this minister are doing tremendous work in a calm controlled manner.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No10 confirms that UK is not taking part in EU initiative to bulk buy ventilators and other equipment needed to tackle coronavirus. Asked why, Boris Johnson’s spokesman says: “We are not a member of the EU.”

Boris and co have to go, they are a real and present danger with this mad Brexit Fetish.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
No10 confirms that UK is not taking part in EU initiative to bulk buy ventilators and other equipment needed to tackle coronavirus. Asked why, Boris Johnson’s spokesman says: “We are not a member of the EU.”

Boris and co have to go, they are a real and present danger with this mad Brexit Fetish.
That’s plain stupid. They know there aren’t enough ventilators and it’s been known for weeks that lack of them will be the biggest killer. Worst case scenario is 30 patients to one ventilator, 29 are going to be disappointed then, but still, they won’t be able to complain.

I bet Boris & Co wouldn’t find themselves any further down the queue than Number 1. It’s easy for these clowns to take this sort of decision when they are totally shielded from the consequences. They need to have skin in the game, find themselves or their family suffering as a result of poor decisions. That might focus them a bit more.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Local moron here thought it would be fun to do similar over a police officer.... GBH charge awaits and hopefully the magistrate will give him 6 months to think about doing it again.
Would be appropriate for that to be served in a coronavirus-ridden penal establishment.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Which is potentially stupid since it creates additional contacts, putting the officers and drivers at risk.
Done properly and if it stops unnecessary journeys and personal contact, it’s a very good thing. Unfortunately, this won’t be being done properly, it will be the usual half-arsed window dressing by the police chiefs. Create the illusion that they are policing the movement restriction and all will be well.

What if you are stopped and say, “ My journey is of vital importance , I am en-route to procure sustenance for my spouse and off-spring.” Then what? Are they going to check yours and every other person’s story? Find corroboration? Are they ****. Complete waste of everyone’s time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Done properly and if it stops unnecessary journeys and personal contact, it’s a very good thing. Unfortunately, this won’t be being done properly, it will be the usual half-arsed window dressing by the police chiefs. Create the illusion that they are policing the movement restriction and all will be well.

What if you are stopped and say, “ My journey is of vital importance , I am en-route to procure sustenance for my spouse and off-spring.” Then what? Are they going to check yours and every other person’s story? Find corroboration? Are they ****. Complete waste of everyone’s time.
But that was my point, it cannot be done properly since checking every story isn't possible. Therefore it shouldn't be done at all since all it does is increase transmission opportunities, rather than reducing them.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Things sound grim in London’s hospitals. They are now at full capacity and the rate of new cases requiring hospital intervention is increasing. In some hospitals, up to 50% of doctors and nurses are either off sick with the virus, or are self isolating, often unnecessarily due to Prince Charles using up all the testing kits.

I heard a nurse on the radio yesterday, in tears, saying she has no PPE. She had bought additional uniform out of her wages to try and avoid taking the virus home and been to Screwfix to buy eye protection and face dust masks, because there was literally nothing at work to protect her.

It’s ok for Johno to keep making big promises at these daily news briefing, time to deliver on them is long over due. All eyes are on Boris. He can’t hide from this one and brush it off with a bit of Latin and buffoonery, he will be judged on body bags alone, that’s going to be the leveller. We are going to see what he’s made of. I fear it’s brown, sticky and smelly.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
From what I have read the work of the group at Oxford and other places is much more along the lines of tried and trusted but with a few design tweaks.
Following up on that: see for example

We have designed a simple and robust ventilator which will serve the specific task of managing the very sickest patients during this crisis

They don't say on that page that it is based on older (simpler) designs; I think I read that elsewhere but may have got myself confused between different projects.

Also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52021757 After the Dyson hype:
Engineers, anaesthetists and surgeons from the University of Oxford and King's College London are working on another new type of ventilator. It is less advanced than existing commercial models, but benefits from being relatively quick to construct.

"Creating new designs which can complement existing models might help meet demand," commented Dr Federico Formenti, who is part of the OxVent team.
"Companies can't switch overnight - you can't put a Formula One component into a ventilator, it will take time."
The project is still waiting to hear back from the government.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

They had better get this effing right. This is a serious gamble with people’s lives. I hope the country makes a note of this moment and refer back to it in the future.

From the BBC:

The UK government is being accused of putting "Brexit before breathing" by not taking part in an EU scheme to provide ventilators to member states.

Despite the UK leaving the bloc in January, the EU invited the country to join in with the project.

But a No 10 spokesman today said the UK was "making [its] own efforts".

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thinking about things I googled 'dyson vacuum cleaner reliability'. The results were not that reassuring. A BBC hit (I think from a Which report) was from 2004 so maybe unfair to consider.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm Dyson 'ranks last in reliability'

From 2019 though that doesn't seem to have changed: https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-vacuums/dyson-stick-vacuums-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/
Dyson Stick Vacuums Lose CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues
Consumer survey reveals that nearly half of Dyson stick vacs develop problems within the first five years

I hope the current scare won't last that long but ... last thing IC units and their patients want is over-complex and unreliable key equipment.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers