Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I agree with you Oyster, that is a waste of resources. There is no problems if people in very small groups wander aimlessly around streets, country lanes, beach es, shopping malls in the open. I don't see why golf courses are not open.. not the bars or pro shop or showers but the pitch itself. The guys and gals could change their shoes in their cars. I am no fan of Golf, but in terms of an aimless occupation well away from others, it meets tge the criterion.
One problem with golf is if people use it as an opportunity to play with many different people and fail to abide by social distancing.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Thinking about things I googled 'dyson vacuum cleaner reliability'. The results were not that reassuring. A BBC hit (I think from a Which report) was from 2004 so maybe unfair to consider.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm Dyson 'ranks last in reliability'

From 2019 though that doesn't seem to have changed: https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-vacuums/dyson-stick-vacuums-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/
Dyson Stick Vacuums Lose CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues
Consumer survey reveals that nearly half of Dyson stick vacs develop problems within the first five years

I hope the current scare won't last that long but ... last thing IC units and their patients want is over-complex and unreliable key equipment.
True but we can hope that they are less likely to accumulate hair - human and cat - which seems to have the worst impact on ours. I have spent so many hours disassembling (and re-assembling - I'm helpful like that) the power heads it is crazy. Hair forms a solid ring of hard, charred keratin which is not easy to remove.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The EU has ceased to be - its dog eat dog out there,
Germany failing to give PPE equipment out to any other country - me first attitude.
Ireland having to send out its Aer Lingus planes to China for supplies

How on earth could some unaccountable shower in Brussels give a toss about anyone else??!
You have never understood how the EU works to come out with crap about them being unaccountable have you?
And you continue to show your ignorance.
Tommie, even for you that is a load of tripe and you know it, the EU has not ceased to be, but it appears your brain has ceased to function. The EU does not determine the action of individual states and never has.
Where does the "Dog eat dog come from?"
The German Government wasn't elected to look after you was it? of course it's first priority is looking after it's own citizens, rather than bowler hatted half wits in Northern Ireland.
They offered to help with buying ventilators and your idiot choice of Prime minister turned the offer down.
Rather than trying to score points against the EU that we are no longer members of, start looking at what our government isn't doing to protect our own people

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ventilator latest - was in our junk folder (or however you wish to interpet it):

No 10 in U-turn over EU-wide ventilator procurement scheme

Just as the press conference was about to start, Downing Street announced what amounts to a U-turn over participating in the EU-wide effort to procure ventilators and other medical equipment. A Downing Street spokesman said:

Owing to an initial communication problem, the UK did not receive an invitation in time to join in four joint procurements in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
As the commission has confirmed, we are eligible to participate in joint procurements during the transition period, following our departure from the EU earlier this year.
As those four initial procurement schemes had already gone out to tender we were unable to take part in these, but we will consider participating in future procurement schemes on the basis of public health requirements at the time.
We are working round the clock with industry, the NHS, social care providers and the army to ensure the supply of PPE over the coming weeks and months and will give our NHS and the social care sector everything they need to tackle this outbreak.

According to one government source, the UK did not participate in the first procurement schemes launched by the EU because the emails sent to the UK inviting it to take part were somehow missed. The source claims this was nothing to do with the government making some point about Brexit.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Thinking about things I googled 'dyson vacuum cleaner reliability'. The results were not that reassuring. A BBC hit (I think from a Which report) was from 2004 so maybe unfair to consider.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm Dyson 'ranks last in reliability'

From 2019 though that doesn't seem to have changed: https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-vacuums/dyson-stick-vacuums-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/
Dyson Stick Vacuums Lose CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues
Consumer survey reveals that nearly half of Dyson stick vacs develop problems within the first five years

I hope the current scare won't last that long but ... last thing IC units and their patients want is over-complex and unreliable key equipment.
We’ve got a V11 cordless vacuum cleaner. It’s very good and does away with the need for a corded machine, but it does require a lot of routine maintenance to keep it performing well. The main filter blocks easily, the brush head requires frequent dismantling and blowing clean with compressed air and the dust catcher needs emptying after every use, which involves removing the main suction tube. The main tube has electrical connections, which I wonder how will last with the constant cycle of making and breaking.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Ventilator latest - was in our junk folder (or however you wish to interpet it):

Just as the press conference was about to start, Downing Street announced what amounts to a U-turn over participating in the EU-wide effort to procure ventilators and other medical equipment. A Downing Street spokesman said:

According to one government source, the UK did not participate in the first procurement schemes launched by the EU because the emails sent to the UK inviting it to take part were somehow missed. The source claims this was nothing to do with the government making some point about Brexit.
That’s true. It was some idiot missing the email invitation to participate. I would say unbelievable, but.......

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Disappointing to hear, but sadly unsurprising.
Health is/ was one of the delegated authority activities to member states. At no stage had the EU assumed responsibility for it. At no stage were the member states willing to secede authority to the EU for it. Incidentally I don't remember any great rush by the UK to invite Italian patients four weeks ago, when British numbers were measured in tens . The Germans are treating Italian patients in their facilities at present.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I confidently expect both Italian and USA certified Covid Cases to topple the Chinese figures overnight. With the USA becoming the largest cluster.

• Agree

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
On second thoughts it might be better to be polite, how about

"Thank you officer for your sage advice, you can be sure I have taken every word to heart.
see you here same time tomorrow? :D
[/QUOTE]

Or "I hear what you say constable, but another two minutes in that house and I would've killed the bitch".

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One problem with golf is if people use it as an opportunity to play with many different people and fail to abide by social distancing.
Also potentially a problem with walking, cycling, ... Given the current guidelines I don't think many golfers would fail to abide by social distancing.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Halleluyah! and some fell upon stony ground and did not prosper...
Are we supposed to believe this?
Well at least they made me laugh. :cool:

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I have always had deep reservations about tasers, but some behaviour makes me think I would be the first to fire one, given the chance.
[/QUOTE]
If tasers bother you reversion to the alternative of lead poisoning, introduced by a double tap behind the ear, would be appropriate in this case.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Disappointing to hear, but sadly unsurprising.
BS from Tommie, but this is not
!
Boris Johnson’s team now blames ‘email error’ for not joining EU scheme for ventilators
After initially claiming it did not join an EU scheme for ventilators because of Brexit, it now blames an ‘email error’ for missing the invitation.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Also potentially a problem with walking, cycling, ... Given the current guidelines I don't think many golfers would fail to abide by social distancing.
Maybe, but they'd have to make sure they wipe their balls to avoid passing CV between players. IYSWIM.

• :D

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland

Aye, right.

Advertisers