Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Your are lucky. I don't think we will be as lucky here in the UK.

At the top, we have people in key roles who are incapable of looking after themselves (Johnson PM, Hancock Health Secretary, Dorries Under Secretary of State for Health & Patient Safety, Whitty Chief Medical Officer). All such massive idiots that they have caught Coronavirus. I know anyone is susceptible, but it is possible to put layers of protection around people and that should have happened. We are now heading into the storm and the Captain and all of his officers are on sick leave.

They clearly have not understood or appreciated how serious this situation is. They have effectively lost February by ******* about. Wankers doesn't even begin to describe them.
Even worse are the blithering idiots among the public who think they are doing a good job!

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I've been in a few but didn't notice cages with cats in them stacked on top of cages with fish in, stacked on top of cages containing badgers, which were on top of cages containing something resembling a hedgehog and a cage of bats on top of that, all topped off with dead snakes draped over.

These people are animals themselves and are a global health hazard.
Go to Suffolk ;-)

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Yes we were lucky... And now I am in a quandary. My daughter is currently commuting to a relatively inaccessible place in NI, where she is in the QC lab of a major pharmaceutical company. The train service is scaled back ,but she can get to work on time.. we drop her at local station, 40 minute train and 40 minute walk. But effective Monday, she cannot get back with train restrictions. Up to now it was possible to pick her up 30 minutes away,..we did that for the last two weeks with their modified timetable. now I will have a 1.5 hour commute each way. Whether I am even legal is debatable, as She not I am the essential worker!.
thats a tricky one these days..
possibly coming back, Bus (62) from Portadown to Banbridge, either lift her there (should be nice straight road for you).... or then Express to Newry then Newry-Dundalk. Either way nothing easy

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
to be fair, in our own ways I suspect all of us feel superior. I remember as a wide eyed 20 year old part-time sous chef in London years ago being told to pick up a wiener schnitzel that had slided and rolled with almost deliberate slow conviction over a kitchen floor covered in a veneer of oil and slimy bacterial muck that would put an alien movie to shame and return it to a plate going out to a customer. It's one of those moments that stick in ones memory. I guess were in reality like rats, quite resistant to bacteria (if not viruses).
A bit of muck doesn’t do any harm, in fact I don’t think kids get enough crud these days. However, that Chinese market was disgusting.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes we were lucky... And now I am in a quandary. My daughter is currently commuting to a relatively inaccessible place in NI, where she is in the QC lab of a major pharmaceutical company. The train service is scaled back ,but she can get to work on time.. we drop her at local station, 40 minute train and 40 minute walk. But effective Monday, she cannot get back with train restrictions. Up to now it was possible to pick her up 30 minutes away,..we did that for the last two weeks with their modified timetable. now I will have a 1.5 hour commute each way. Whether I am even legal is debatable, as She not I am the essential worker!.
That is indeed a quandary and one which I hope you can resolve without too much difficulty.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Despite everything, there are some, shall we say, interesting stories:

A medical fetish site says it has donated its entire stock of disposable scrubs to an NHS hospital that was “desperate” for supplies.

In a thread posted on Twitter, MedFetUK wrote:

We have been contacted this week by representatives of NHS procurement all over the country, trying to source basic protective equipment and clothing.
When we, a tiny company set up to serve a small section of the kink community, find ourselves being sought out as a last-resort supplier to our National Health Service in a time of crisis, something is seriously wrong. In fact, it’s scandalous.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whether I am even legal is debatable, as She not I am the essential worker!.
But you are providing transport for an essential worker to avoid their having a markedly higher risk of infection, arguably making that transport at least highly desirable and possibly essential.

Buses that Tommie drew attention to as an alternative are a quite high risk way of travelling where Covid-19 is concerned. Close seating, handrails not sterilised during journeys, probably for an entire shift or even whole day.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit of muck doesn’t do any harm, in fact I don’t think kids get enough crud these days. However, that Chinese market was disgusting.
Indeed, the prevalence of allergies in the West is blamed on our excessive cleanliness and hygiene phobia preventing the development of immunities.

What you call disgusting in that Chinese market and many other parts of their environment has probably helped in their getting control of Covid-19 so quickly. They've had a succession of these widely spreading viruses for over a century now since Spanish flu and have always lived in the "disgusting" way, so their levels of immunity and tolerance will be many times higher than ours.

So we have a choice of which is better. Our high hygene way which has been proven to fail since the bugs will always evolve to win. Or their way which allows them to win more?

Somewhere in between is probably optimal.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think I have a very different way of assessing what doing well means. And they have already failed:

Powis says that if the government can keep deaths below 20,000 during this epidemic, they will have done well.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think I have a very different way of assessing what doing well means. And they have already failed:

Powis says that if the government can keep deaths below 20,000 during this epidemic, they will have done well.
I think they should be prosecuted for criminal negligence

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Could this be true?
Derek James
There is increasing evidence that the UK Government is recording #Coronavirus deaths as pneumonia. If this is the case, it's a scandal!
Could be an own goal. If they are doing that, then many will simply add pneumonia and covid-19 deaths together and assume that all pneumonia deaths are coronavirus - even if they are not.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see no need for this:
Labour asked leadership rivals to pre-record victory speeches

Winner will be revealed by email on 4 April as special conference is abandoned

Candidates for the roles of Labour leader and deputy leader reacted with disbelief after being told they all had to pre-record their own victory statements before the result is announced next weekend.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson 'leading response from the front'

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is showing mild symptoms of the coronavirus but is "absolutely leading the response from the front", Business Secretary Alok Sharma says.

"He continues to lead the government's effort in combating Covid-19. This morning he held a video conference , Mr Sharma said.

I'd like to see Johnson in a cavalry charge - as at Omdurman.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see no need for this:
Labour asked leadership rivals to pre-record victory speeches

Winner will be revealed by email on 4 April as special conference is abandoned

Candidates for the roles of Labour leader and deputy leader reacted with disbelief after being told they all had to pre-record their own victory statements before the result is announced next weekend.
Ok here is what would be my reply in their situation

Thank you for the confidence you have placed in me, but if Boris has actually become more popular despite or because of his incompetence, lies and bungling of the Corona Virus, and that fact that he was unable to protect himself from it, I really can't be naffed to be used for target practice by the Press, while trying to help a voting public that is already getting the government it deserves.

Have a nice Pandemic

Yours etc, etc.
p.s. Ask JC if he's still free.

Advertisers