Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
On the World Service this morning
The ICL have apparently mapped the usual deaths over a year and the virus follows the same, so they concluded that instead of the deaths being spread over time, they are all coming a little early, that's all.
So if you pay Universities enough money they will tell you what you want to hear, and even generate "facts" to back it up.
Nothing to see here move along... :cool:

It all sounds just a tad like an excuse to drop the lockdown for economic reasons.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Gove has, it seems, stopped total denial that it was ignored. Which strongly implies the evidence is stacked up high against him/them:

Reply from the government after offering to procure ventilators for the NHS.

An NHS supplier in Nantwich said that in the international market it had found 25,000 ventilators that it could have procured for the government.

However, the supplier said that having asked the government if it wanted the ventilators, it did not get a reply.

Gove told Marr:

I’m very sorry if that company says that it didn’t get a reply, I’ll investigate as soon as I’ve stopped talking to you [Andrew Marr].
It is the case that for companies that have got in touch with the government those offers of help have been forwarded to the relevant people in the NHS and in other aspects of government in order to make sure we secure those supplies.

If that company wants to get in touch directly with me, we’ll investigate, because there have been some cases where people had hoped they might be able to help, but in fact the material that they produce has not met the NHS specifications, it’s not what’s required in order to save lives, but we have been following up every single lead presented to us.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Gove has, it seems, stopped total denial that it was ignored. Which strongly implies the evidence is stacked up high against him/them:

Reply from the government after offering to procure ventilators for the NHS.

An NHS supplier in Nantwich said that in the international market it had found 25,000 ventilators that it could have procured for the government.

However, the supplier said that having asked the government if it wanted the ventilators, it did not get a reply.

Gove told Marr:

I’m very sorry if that company says that it didn’t get a reply, I’ll investigate as soon as I’ve stopped talking to you [Andrew Marr].
It is the case that for companies that have got in touch with the government those offers of help have been forwarded to the relevant people in the NHS and in other aspects of government in order to make sure we secure those supplies.

If that company wants to get in touch directly with me, we’ll investigate, because there have been some cases where people had hoped they might be able to help, but in fact the material that they produce has not met the NHS specifications, it’s not what’s required in order to save lives, but we have been following up every single lead presented to us.
This Conservative Government has to go, they are presiding over a disaster

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The ventilator situation is the biggest story in the Coronavirus crisis. Everything we are currently doing, social distancing, putting people out of work, closing businesses etc is because there are not enough ventilators if everyone becomes ill at the same time. At worst, there could be 30 people to one ventilator, the other 29 will be required to die in a bin around the back of the hospital.

With the above in mind, how the **** did these ***** manage to **** up the ventilator procurement process so comprehensively? That question need asking time and time again.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The ventilator situation is the biggest story in the Coronavirus crisis. Everything we are currently doing, social distancing, putting people out of work, closing businesses etc is because there are not enough ventilators if everyone becomes ill at the same time. At worst, there could be 30 people to one ventilator, the other 29 will be required to die in a bin around the back of the hospital.

With the above in mind, how the **** did these ***** manage to **** up the ventilator procurement process so comprehensively? That question need asking time and time again.
/in fact they need prosecuting and being replaced by people who can and will do the job.

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Back to brexit. Seems the figures are showing a substantial number who voted for brexit disagreeing with government no-delay.

Two-thirds of people in UK want Brexit transition extension - poll

Polling commissioned by the cross-party campaign group Best for Britain and anti-racism group Hope Not Hate has suggested that almost two-thirds of people in the UK want the government to request an extension to the Brexit transition period in order to focus on the coronavirus outbreak.
The Focaldata poll of 2,022 people showed 64% of people agreed with the statement “The government should request an extension to the transition period in order to focus properly on the coronavirus’, while 36% agreed with the statement “The Brexit transition period must end on 31 December whether a deal has been fixed or not”.
Best for Britain’s call for an extension to the transition period has been echoed by numerous bodies and pressure groups, including the Scottish and Welsh governments.
The same poll also found that 65% of people wished the government to seek membership of the EU early warning and response system for medical emergencies, amid reported reluctance within No 10 to remain a member.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/29/uk-coronavirus-live-mass-testing-lockdown-boris-johnson-covid-19-latest

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Back to brexit. Seems the figures are showing a substantial number who voted for brexit disagreeing with government no-delay.

Two-thirds of people in UK want Brexit transition extension - poll

Polling commissioned by the cross-party campaign group Best for Britain and anti-racism group Hope Not Hate has suggested that almost two-thirds of people in the UK want the government to request an extension to the Brexit transition period in order to focus on the coronavirus outbreak.
The Focaldata poll of 2,022 people showed 64% of people agreed with the statement “The government should request an extension to the transition period in order to focus properly on the coronavirus’, while 36% agreed with the statement “The Brexit transition period must end on 31 December whether a deal has been fixed or not”.
Best for Britain’s call for an extension to the transition period has been echoed by numerous bodies and pressure groups, including the Scottish and Welsh governments.
The same poll also found that 65% of people wished the government to seek membership of the EU early warning and response system for medical emergencies, amid reported reluctance within No 10 to remain a member.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/29/uk-coronavirus-live-mass-testing-lockdown-boris-johnson-covid-19-latest
Why is Brexit even still an issue, it needs binning.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's the Telegraphs turn to show it's arse to reality with this
Exclusive: Ministers were warned that the NHS could not cope with a pandemic three years ago but 'terrifying' results were kept secret
The NHS failed a major cross-government test of its ability to handle a severe pandemic but the “terrifying” results were kept secret from the public, the Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Ministers were informed three years ago that Britain would be quickly overwhelmed by a severe outbreak amid a shortage of critical care beds, morgue capacity and personal protective equipment (PPE), an investigation has discovered.

Codenamed Exercise Cygnus, the three-day dry run for a pandemic carried out in October 2016 tested how NHS hospitals and other services would cope in the event of a major flu outbreak with a similar mortality rate to Covid-19.

The report on Cygnus’s findings were deemed too sensitive by Whitehall officials to be made public

The bottom line is the Government failed utterly to take appropriate action, the NHS is in no position to do so, yet this paper fails to point out where liability lies

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

I partly agree. But it's more than a ventilator, it's an itu bed with all the skilled itu staff it takes to care for a patient in critical condition. And austerity and tory policy has (behind the bs in the media) cut nhs resources to the bone. It's been running at capacity for normal circumstance for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The despicable @michaelgove lays the responsibility of the UK not taking part in the EU ventilator scheme on... "..senior figures of the NHS." He then lies to you on the debunked 'excuse' that an email was sent/was not sent/was overlooked/was lost...
My response

The Dog ate our homework, did it Gove? then get rid of the dog, or is he the one that did a runner?

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Downing Street calls in election gurus to overhaul coronavirus comms So now we know where all those identifical Facebook posts “I didn’t vote for Boris.... but he’s doing a good job” come from. Taxpayer money to set up fake Facebook accounts to gull us https://campaignlive.co.uk/article/downing-street-calls-election-gurus-overhaul-coronavirus-comms/1678511?bulletin=campaign_agencies_bulletin

my response
It was obvious that the inflated figures of Boris's popularity were as bogus as he is, I wonder how much taxpayer's money has been "spaffed" on this campaign?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Let us see how this one pans out:

Ventilator Challenge UK to start production in Covid-19 fight

Consortium of British manufacturers called on to help produce 10,000 machines

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

Not quite sure those ventilators should be tossing their heads, but.. And they do need to get from the bay to the ward.

I'd like to think we will see actual details every day.

Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This dated March 26th

Here is the latest research on deaths from #coronavirus both in the UK and elsewhere. This is by statisticians including @TomPike00075908 of @imperialcollege who I have spoken to. The key figures are circled. UK deaths estimated to TOTAL 5,700. Peak day will be April 5th with 260

The trajectory for < 6000 had a peak of 260 deaths on April 5th. Sadly 260 was hit yesterday; there is no suggestion that this is likely to be the peak

My response

The only mathematician I have ever had a great respect for was Tom Lehrer

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Let us see how this one pans out:

Ventilator Challenge UK to start production in Covid-19 fight

Consortium of British manufacturers called on to help produce 10,000 machines

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

Not quite sure those ventilators should be tossing their heads, but.. And they do need to get from the bay to the ward.

I'd like to think we will see actual details every day.
More appropriate
The bee he is a busy soul
and has no time for birth control
and that is why in times like these

there are so many Tory Bees

This is dedicated to Boris.

Reactions: oyster

Advertisers