Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What has happened in some parts of Wales is that people are coming and going to shops - and buying up stock that is in short supply.

The rules have not been well written and explained - and some might not be justified in terms of science or evidence. But stay at home except <list of exceptions> is pretty clear and, I suggest, does not include driving for an hour even if there were no intention of getting out of the vehicle.

By the way, are open-top cars acceptable?
They could make a rule that you have to paint your backside blue too, and there would be Torys who complied because it was the right colour.
I prefer rules that are logical and not just for the sake of exercising power over people.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Gove said this
We can best honour healthcare professionals we've lost to Covid-19 by listening to and obeying government advice - Michael Gove

Shame they didn't take advice themselves from the WHO

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Todays stats

The problem is that the results come in from all directions after a considerable time lag
From the Guardian

"On 30 March, NHS England reported 159 deaths in the 24 hours to 5pm on Sunday 29 March. However, the actual number of people who died in that 24-hour period was revised up to 401 in Thursday’s report and again to 463 on Friday as more deaths which occurred on that date were reported. And this figure could be revised up again as more deaths come to light. "

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Also noticed in local news a noticeable increase in crime targetiing Industrial estates / business burglaries.
and that’s only going to increase when a fresh load of scum is released early onto our streets from the prisons. Just to add a bit more misery to businesses trying to survive.

They should have extended their sentences to keep them locked up until the virus emergency is over. We don’t need this scum working against us.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
These criminals have demonstrated a disregard for rules and for them to end up in prison, this will be a long term persistent pattern of rule breaking. They aren’t going to isolate, think of others and act responsibly. They will revert to type and spread the disease. That’s why they must remain in a prison and face whatever is coming their way. We should not concern ourselves with them.
Isnt that a bit puritanical (for a tory who voted for brexit and boris and cummings, who are, against all odds, not in prison)?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
But why?

Cars don't carry viruses so long as drivers remain within them. What about all the other traffic, vans, buses, long distance trucks, police cars even.
There's no reason, it's government policy, and what has reason ever had to do with that?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
By the way, are open-top cars acceptable?
I didn't see that many cars on my exercise ride today, but a much higher proportion of them than usual was open topped. That might well just be a normal seasonal weekend trend?

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Is it though? At 15.23 it's unlikely he was heading into the country to walk etc., more likely just out driving for the change in scenery with perhaps no intention of getting out of the car.

I think this whole issue of driving is being dealt with far too heavy handedly by the police. They can find far more serious breaches right under their noses close to their police stations, such as people from different households meeting up in pairs or groups and strangers making no effort to maintain 2 metres separation, or any separation at all. I see all those near to my doorstep.

It's motorist bashing again, a favourite sport with the police.
I haven't been aware of Police Scotland acting in this manner. Almost all of the FPNs issued have been as a result of groupings or house parties where the attenders were told to go home but then failed the attitude test.
It was certainly stated to be policy in Scotland to explain to people why they shouldn't be out and tell them to go home immediately. Only after a refusal to comply would a FPN be issued.

I'm not convinced that the risk involved in leaving the house for a drive and staying the car is greater than the risk to mental and physical health of imprisonment.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I suggest confiscation of vehicle should be standard in egregious cases - like this appears to be:

15:23
Porsche driver stopped about an hour from home

North Wales Police say a motorist from Shropshire faces court after he was stopped in his Porsche by police in Bala.

The force says he has been reported under the coronavirus legislation and will be dealt with by the court.
"An hour from home", that wasn't far at all in some of the clunkers I've owned over the years.

Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What has happened in some parts of Wales is that people are coming and going to shops - and buying up stock that is in short supply.
Of course that is wrong since it disobeys the rules on spreading the virus by proximity. But driving a car for a change of view after being trapped indoors does not, it is not even illegal, and it's what I'm defending.

But stay at home except <list of exceptions> is pretty clear
No it is not. At no time have the government instructions said someone cannot drive their car in connection with the permitted activities. Quite the opposite they have repeatedly used the words "Try to" and the words "as far as possible".

The problem is that some police don't want to listen or read, instead replacing the government's words with such as "Strictly" and "Must". It's their little dictator nature and why many of them join the police in the first instance.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not convinced that the risk involved in leaving the house for a drive and staying the car is greater than the risk to mental and physical health of imprisonment.
That is exactly my point, imprisoning people in their homes for long periods is a dangerous and foolish policy. It could lead to both mental illness and domestic assaults of all kinds.

And driving in car is the safest of all ways of leaving a home for avoiding viral spread.

The great majority of the population are perfectly capable of adapting the government guidelines safely for their own circumstances.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My twitter comment
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Rats used to bring the plague
This time plague brought the rats

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-moggs-investment-firm-21814351?f

Jacob Rees Mogg's investment firm set to make fortune from the coronavirus crisis
EXCLUSIVE: Somerset Capital Management, which the MP co-founded, says market volatility offers a “once or twice in a generation” opportunity to make “super normal returns”

Vermin!

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Advertisers