Brexit, for once some facts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
some twat on a road bike crashed in to me crossing the road as had shitty v brakes and could not stop and i had nowhere to go lol.

my visor cut a slice in his head and grazed his hand and arm as just bounced of me in to a pile in the middle of the road and bent his front wheel.

i told him to get a fkn helmet and get some fkn decent brakes and get some stickers from the doctors round the corner.

i think im going to have to go in to icu now :p
DSC_0203_02.JPG

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
some twat on a road bike crashed in to me crossing the road as had shitty v brakes and could not stop and i had nowhere to go lol.

my visor cut a slice in his head and grazed his hand and arm as just bounced of me in to a pile in the middle of the road and bent his front wheel.

i told him to get a fkn helmet and get some fkn decent brakes and get some stickers from the doctors round the corner.

i think im going to have to go in to icu now :p
View attachment 34660
As my old mother used to say when I frequently injured myself.

"You'll die afterwards!" :cool:

And of course glad you're OK

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's extra important while they are working from home that their duck houses are in good shape.
I had to look "Duck Houses" up in case it was a new idiom for "Knocking shops" and I wasn't "in the loop"as they say.

• :D
Reactions: oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Give it to NHS front line staff and exempt them from tax and NI until this is over. They can put my tax up to pay for it. These NHS workers are putting in proper grafting shifts at the moment. The useless ***** in Westminster aren’t fit to lick shite off the soles of their shoes. *****!
the great British electorate are a fickle, thick bunch of self serving twats. once the crisis is over it will be back to corporate tax cuts, below inflation salary increases for nhs and admiration for the likes of mogg. covid 19 wont make a dent, it will take a Stalingrad sized crisis to change our strange insincere narcissistic culture.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Give it to NHS front line staff and exempt them from tax and NI until this is over.
They are literally putting their lives on the line, but exempting them from tax and NI creates a number of future problems with records, pension entitlements etc, once this crisis is long past.

A better solution would perhaps be a single lump sum bonus to each and every one of 30% of their annual salary. Financially the effect would be similar to no tax and NI, but a whole years worth plus 10% extra.

And in that lump sum form it would be more useful to them to make their lives better than a monthly dribble.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So he's out of ICU.

Just wondering, will the PM be able to claim £10,000 for working from Downing Street, when he gets back?

Reactions: Nev

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
From BBC News

Also similar from same report at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-keep-at-least-10m-away-if-running-behind-someone-to-avoid-infection-say and other places.

Presumably the cycling distance of 20m is for following, not passing sideways distance.

Runners should be 10m away, says research

Anna Holligan
BBC News reporter cycling in The Hague
With the gyms closed and public transport to be avoided, many of us are running or cycling or simply walking to keep fit, commute or just catch a breath of fresh air. But a group of scientists is warning we should perhaps beware.
While the standard social distancing rule between one to two metres may be effective when you are standing still inside, a new study says people who are in motion should be given a wider berth to avoid transmission of the coronavirus.
When a cyclist or pedestrian sneezes, coughs or even just exhales, the saliva particles are left behind in the air. Which means the person coming up behind them passes through this cloud of droplets.
By using methods used to enhance athletes' performances, the teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University found the greatest risk of infection existed in the slipstream.
On the basis of these results, the scientists advise that those on the move should be given more of a social distance. Walkers should get at least four metres, runners 10 metres and cyclists at least 20 metres.
Jogging during the day has already been banned in Paris, and this study may encourage governments to revise the rules to ensure those who do go out are getting a healthy breath of fresh air - rather than one that might include a stranger's saliva particles.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So he's out of ICU.

Just wondering, will the PM be able to claim £10,000 for working from Downing Street, when he gets back?
Looking forward his being well enough to correspond with the public.
With a letter of resignation.
After all if he can't be trusted not to ignore scientific advice and invite the infection by grandstanding and boasting he had shaken the hands of Coronavirus just to show off, he simply can't be trusted in any position of authority ever again.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
From BBC News

Also similar from same report at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-keep-at-least-10m-away-if-running-behind-someone-to-avoid-infection-say and other places.

Presumably the cycling distance of 20m is for following, not passing sideways distance.

Runners should be 10m away, says research

Anna Holligan
BBC News reporter cycling in The Hague
With the gyms closed and public transport to be avoided, many of us are running or cycling or simply walking to keep fit, commute or just catch a breath of fresh air. But a group of scientists is warning we should perhaps beware.
While the standard social distancing rule between one to two metres may be effective when you are standing still inside, a new study says people who are in motion should be given a wider berth to avoid transmission of the coronavirus.
When a cyclist or pedestrian sneezes, coughs or even just exhales, the saliva particles are left behind in the air. Which means the person coming up behind them passes through this cloud of droplets.
By using methods used to enhance athletes' performances, the teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University found the greatest risk of infection existed in the slipstream.
On the basis of these results, the scientists advise that those on the move should be given more of a social distance. Walkers should get at least four metres, runners 10 metres and cyclists at least 20 metres.
Jogging during the day has already been banned in Paris, and this study may encourage governments to revise the rules to ensure those who do go out are getting a healthy breath of fresh air - rather than one that might include a stranger's saliva particles.
Am happy if they keep 10 metres away from me. :)

But they don't. They want to keep running regardless - and seem to expect me/us to move out of their way. Maybe I exaggerate but they certainly don't expect to stop to ensure an adequate gap.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
True or False?

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

fuller analysis of leaked recordings obtained by Byline Times reveals that the Government remains committed to the idea that the vast majority of the UK population will contract COVID-19, making a minimum number of deaths inevitable, albeit over a longer period of time.

Using the Government’s own lowest estimate of a fatality rate at around 0.5%, this confirms that it has resigned itself to the expectation that some 264,000 Britons will inevitably die in ensuing months and years from the disease.

Surely this cannot be true

Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
True or False?

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

fuller analysis of leaked recordings obtained by Byline Times reveals that the Government remains committed to the idea that the vast majority of the UK population will contract COVID-19, making a minimum number of deaths inevitable, albeit over a longer period of time.

Using the Government’s own lowest estimate of a fatality rate at around 0.5%, this confirms that it has resigned itself to the expectation that some 264,000 Britons will inevitably die in ensuing months and years from the disease.

0.5% of the population is, I think, nearer 333,250.

From your link: Our best estimate of the infection fatality rate is in the range of 0.5% to 1%, ranging from 0.01% in the under 20s to 8% in the over 80s.

Which could be up to 666,500.

I find it very concerning that we could be going down this path before various things we already know of have even been properly tested. For example, IL-6 inhibitors. Or, at least in time, a vaccine. Or, whilst I don't really expect "herbal" medicine to be the answer, diammonium glycirhizinate (liquorice based)!

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is why I criticised the way the government kept stressing the two metres, since they've given the public the impresssion that at two metres they are safe, which is far from true.
As I've previously posted, the statement should have been:

"Try to keep as apart as possible from others at all times, and never closer than a minimum of 2 metres".

"Also stay in your home area and inside your own home as much as possible, never mixing with other households or travelling to other's areas".

And as I also posted, that is all that needed saying.

All the additional talk about not driving, only buying essentials, closing parks, not sunbathing etc only served to muddy the message, making for confusion and annoying the public unnecessarily.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want a lock down where i live it is not going to happen.

they will have to either put them all in prison or shoot them fines wont work because they have no jobs or money and dont give a crap anyway.

every one i talk to thinks this is a blip and it will all go back to normal when lock down is lifted.

not going to happen!

you cant keep pumping money in to a system that is fooked anyway and this will be what brakes it totally as it is a bubble that has blown its final hole and will come crashing down.

just ask one question where has all this money come from and how is it going to be paid back?

we paid off ww2 in 2006

Even at the end of the war Britain needed American financial assistance, and in 1945 Britain took a loan for $586 million (about £145 million at 1945 exchange rates), and in addition a further $3.7 billion line of credit (about £930m at 1945 exchange rates).

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
True or False?

Seems to depend on the veracity of the 'leaked call' - bit vague in sharing if it was overheard and leaked / gossip/ rumour , a crossed line or if he has an actual recording which would definately be a quite a explosive scoop.

Still its early days and learning on the hoof while getting data in and watching how effectively different countries strategies are working or not. Politicians have to be a bit like plate spinners.... hoping trying to keep things spinning without things falling out of control.

Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
just ask one question where has all this money come from and how is it going to be paid back?
Good question

It will take a while for it be paid back, if at all - depends as you say how low things will go with a sizable depression to face. Things will not be the same as they were, even compared to the worst case scenarios that Brexit on its own would have bought.

What about some farm work young SW - young folk not afraid of hard work are in especially high demand.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1030690.jpg

1000g @ £10 per gram =10k tax free money does grow on trees :p

Advertisers