Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Infections up by 845 but "the government again today said it would not reveal the death toll". Isnt it great to live in a country where Hancock decide how much we are allowed to know about the deadliest pandemic in living memory.

Edit - govt reversed decision this evening, 83 deaths up from 53 last Thursday- hours after boris said "the uk has made massive progress cutting coronavirus deaths". Comical Ali has nothing on this bunch of twats

Further edit - yesterday ONS in mirror online said 83 deaths. Now most local publications say 38 deaths. I guess 50 deaths one way or another are irrelevant, it's hardly as much as a 7/7 bombing
Was that a U-turn? Or a handbrake turn?

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
The blond bawbag's branch manager in Scotland has resigned.

Who on here can name him without googling.

Could be Ruth the mooth comes back on an interim basis.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Douglas Ross poised to become leader of Scottish Conservatives
Party plans to appoint MP for Moray quickly to reverse steep fall in popularity in Scotland

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Douglas Ross poised to become leader of Scottish Conservatives
Party plans to appoint MP for Moray quickly to reverse steep fall in popularity in Scotland
This is the man described by Westminster as "a nobody" after he resigned in protest to Cummings' eye test.
If he does become Boris' heid bummer in Scotland I suspect Westminster's attitude will remain the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Infections up by 845 but "the government again today said it would not reveal the death toll". Isnt it great to live in a country where Hancock decide how much we are allowed to know about the deadliest pandemic in living memory.

Edit - govt reversed decision this evening, 83 deaths up from 53 last Thursday- hours after boris said "the uk has made massive progress cutting coronavirus deaths". Comical Ali has nothing on this bunch of twats

Further edit - yesterday ONS in mirror online said 83 deaths. Now most local publications say 38 deaths. I guess 50 deaths one way or another are irrelevant, it's hardly as much as a 7/7 bombing
Ok, apologies if this is becoming obsessional. But wikipedia say 83 people died from covid in the uk yesterday. Am I the only one who find these kind of discrepancies disturbing and suspicious? It's the kind of disinformation trump or Kim would use to obfuscate and cover their tracks. Aside from the fact that 50 deaths used to be an issue (in the good old days of terror attacks and wars).

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok, apologies if this is becoming obsessional. But wikipedia say 83 people died from covid in the uk yesterday. Am I the only one who find these kind of discrepancies disturbing and suspicious? It's the kind of disinformation trump or Kim would use to obfuscate and cover their tracks. Aside from the fact that 50 deaths used to be an issue (in the good old days of terror attacks and wars).
Possibly not though. The official graphs have two bands near the end since the deaths from the days just before are often incomplete and waiting much of the final feedback from care homes and lesser hospitals, and even certification of cause. So for the most recent two or three days there's a definite smaller figure which grows as the returns arrive but a provisional much larger figure in parallel.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Possibly not though. The official graphs have two bands near the end since the deaths from the days just before are often incomplete and waiting much of the final feedback from care homes and lesser hospitals, and even certification of cause. So for the most recent two or three days there's a definite smaller figure which grows as the returns arrive but a provisional much larger figure in parallel.
I rather like the notion of "incomplete deaths" well done flecc, I suspect it's a fitting description for most contributors to this thread! (us included) :cool:

Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Perhaps, but the sun (which I usually avoid at all cost) say "that the daily publication of deaths has been suspended again today pending an urgent review" whereas the Express (which I usually avoid even more) say there "has been a large jump and 120 deaths today". I've a hunch this is about more than statistical methods
Edit - I see the sun's editor got that email from Cummings and now say 119 deaths as well as no stats because of review 2 hours ago

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I rather like the notion of "incomplete deaths" well done flecc, I suspect it's a fitting description for most contributors to this thread! (us included) :cool:
And far more people than that. Medically we start to die at around 28 years old, the start point being when the number of vital cells routinely replaced falls below the number that have died.

Year by year from then on the disparity grows and if disease doesn't kill us first, we continuously shrink until eventually life is no longer sustained. And why I'm over four inches shorter than I once was, inches that those thieving years have taken from me.

Fat doesn't count of course, that's just luggage.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And far more people than that. Medically we start to die at around 28 years old, the start point being when the number of vital cells routinely replaced falls below the number that have died.

Year by year from then on the disparity grows and if disease doesn't kill us first, we continuously shrink until eventually life is no longer sustained. And why I'm over four inches shorter than I once was, inches that those thieving years have taken from me.

Fat doesn't count of course, that's just luggage.
Yes, though I'm also four inches happier, youth is highly overrated. But Hancock trying to hide facts and leaving the vulnerable dying without care sours that a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's truly amazing how some tragedies make virtually no impression on the media as an example

Dementia truly for my poor wife "incomplete death"

It killed according to the stats 69,478 in the UK in 2018
No major effort to raise charitable funds for research
No support or even willingness to discuss the problem at GP level.
We are faced with a blank wall of indifference to the fate of those affected , and those who try to care for them.
Because I thought my wife was having a stroke I took her recently into hospital and she was given a CT scan
End result no evidence of stroke, progressive damage to the right hand frontal lobes of the brain worse than the last scan two years ago
Suggested action
None
Suggested help to support her?
None
Advice offered to me how to care for her
None.
Recommendation to the GP from the Hospital
None

Where is the plan we were promised into care for the vulnerable elderly?
As far as I can see, the government are doing a "cull"

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's truly amazing how some tragedies make virtually no impression on the media as an example

Dementia truly for my poor wife "incomplete death"

It killed according to the stats 69,478 in the UK in 2018
No major effort to raise charitable funds for research
No support or even willingness to discuss the problem at GP level.
We are faced with a blank wall of indifference to the fate of those affected , and those who try to care for them.
Because I thought my wife was having a stroke I took her recently into hospital and she was given a CT scan
End result no evidence of stroke, progressive damage to the right hand frontal lobes of the brain worse than the last scan two years ago
Suggested action
None
Suggested help to support her?
None
Advice offered to me how to care for her
None.
Recommendation to the GP from the Hospital
None

Where is the plan we were promised into care for the vulnerable elderly?
As far as I can see, the government are doing a "cull"
Something like thirty years ago, my step father died of Alzheimer's. My mother had looked after him as long as she could, then he was admitted to a hospital, which was unusual. For much of the time since, then, she put lots of effort into various ways of getting funding to Alzheimer's Association. But at some point, they decided that local fund raising didn't amount to anything. The local group more or less disbanded and really didn't feel in the least wanted.

When my mother started to go downhill with dementia, there was still just about nothing available. They'd do a mental test and say she has problems. But they really didn't help at all. She ended up spending her last year in a private nursing home at the extreme other end of GB to me.

What changed things for her was a genuine physical disease - a liver abscess. That was treated, and she was expected (by them) to go home and look after herself. Utterly impossible. We arranged what used to be meals on wheels. Diabolical service - things like simply not turning up at all. The angst that caused was awful. She had, basically, nothing by way of help. That was why we had no choice but to get her into a home.

That is not meant as poor me - my problems are long gone. But to say that I understand something, as it related to my family, and to lament that lack of progress over the decades.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont

I could name him without googling. I could even post some of the names we call him. ;)

Maybe I'd best not though. :)

BTW, Ruth the mooth is getting a peerage. You couldn't make it up.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I could name him without googling. I could even post some of the names we call him. ;)

Maybe I'd best not though. :)

BTW, Ruth the mooth is getting a peerage. You couldn't make it up.
Good man, go to the top of the class, leave yer books, you'll no be there long. ;)

If Ross does get the job he'd better learn a bit of buffalo riding and tank driving if he wants to fill Ruth's shoes.

Reactions: Jimod and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I suppose no-one in the UK cares about this minor news item:

Friday July 31, 2020 10:59 am PDT by Juli Clover
Google today announced that the Exposure Notification API that it designed in partnership with Apple has received some improvements to make it more useful to public health authorities.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/31/apple-and-google-update-exposure-notification-api/

Oh! Except NI. Of course. And thank goodness they've improved interoperability between countries. That will really help us.

Advertisers