Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Zinc plated best of all if they were made, zinc oxide is the active bacteria zapping constituent in adhesive plasters.
Can't remember ever using zinc cutlery. :) (Mind, some kitchen devices have bits made of zinc.)

Last house had a galvanised water tank. (Replaced it just before it rotted through. Thankfully.) Wonder whether that had any effect whatsoever?

Is zinc a good antiviral?

Copper compounds are also pretty good. Again, can't remember copper cutlery - though there is bronze which I have very occasionally used.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I took a short walk out yesterday to feed the foxes in a den I discovered a while ago, they're getting to know me now.
I was surprised to see everybody whether on a bus, driving or just walking down the street were wearing a masks which made me feel odd because I wasn't. I really did not see a single person uncovered, first time I've ever seen that.
I'm finding it odd the way some people are behaving like the friends and relatives I have in the retail trade for example. Until recently they just carried on regardless those that could work did and just got on with it, now I'm seeing changes. Many I know are feeling anxious and scared, they really don't want to go to work surrounded by people and even wearing a mask gives no comfort. Going through a checkout at Tesco's recently the girl at the till suddenly went crazy shouting to get her off quick as she couldn't handle it anymore, I found myself cracking jokes to try and calm her down a bit until they could replace her which itself was turning out to be a problem.
Personally working with people up close and personal at a time like this is not something I could do.

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I thought what Chris Whitty had to say yesterday was interesting. He said that we are right on the cusp of what we can open and there was not much slack left if any. I thought at the time, what is going to happen when Schools, Colleges and Unis open in September, would that mean that some things will have to close.

It appears that Sage advisors are already thinking that Pubs may have to close if we want to re open schools. I don't see that going down to well with 'Fat Brexit Dad' (Trade Mark B.S.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I thought what Chris Whitty had to say yesterday was interesting. He said that we are right on the cusp of what we can open and there was not much slack left if any. I thought at the time, what is going to happen when Schools, Colleges and Unis open in September, would that mean that some things will have to close.

It appears that Sage advisors are already thinking that Pubs may have to close if we want to re open schools. I don't see that going down to well with 'Fat Brexit Dad' (Trade Mark B.S.)
Fat-necked Brexit Dad is currently heading along the A30 in his 09 plate Audi Q7. On his way to take a dump in a polyethylene bag on Fistral Beach.

He won’t be aware of the news regarding pubs, because news is of no interest to him.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Perhaps schools should apply for alcohol licences?:D
Perhaps the government should smash the tourism industry with an iron fist. Some companies are behaving appallingly.

I have a cottage booked in Cornwall for October for two weeks. I booked it in 2019, long before Coronavirus appeared on the radar. We go every October.

I don't really feel as though we should travel there. The letting company is refusing all refunds, even if government restrictions on travel apply. They were stealing people's money at the peak of lockdown and the practice is very widespread. It's not restricted to a rogue few.

I am starting to lean towards just going there in October, regardless of advice, instructions and restrictions. I will be able to by-pass any travel ban, no problem at all.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Perhaps the government should smash the tourism industry with an iron fist. Some companies are behaving appallingly.

I have a cottage booked in Cornwall for October for two weeks. I booked it in 2019, long before Coronavirus appeared on the radar. We go every October.

I don't really feel as though we should travel there. The letting company is refusing all refunds, even if government restrictions on travel apply. They were stealing people's money at the peak of lockdown and the practice is very widespread. It's not restricted to a rogue few.

I am starting to lean towards just going there in October, regardless of advice, instructions and restrictions. I will be able to by-pass any travel ban, no problem at all.
If there is a government ban, I don't think they have any right to refuse a refund. But best of luck arguing it through - and taking them to court.

M4 through to Carmarthen and beyond was pretty darned busy earlier. Am hoping the majority are going to Tenby, south Pembrokeshire. As individual people, they are probably mostly perfectly pleasant and decent folk. As a mass coming down and filling the roads, beaches, shops, etc., no thank you. If it carries on like this, I can imagine every weekend being dire right into the winter.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If there is a government ban, I don't think they have any right to refuse a refund. But best of luck arguing it through - and taking them to court.

M4 through to Carmarthen and beyond was pretty darned busy earlier. Am hoping the majority are going to Tenby, south Pembrokeshire. As individual people, they are probably mostly perfectly pleasant and decent folk. As a mass coming down and filling the roads, beaches, shops, etc., no thank you. If it carries on like this, I can imagine every weekend being dire right into the winter.
I have used courts before and been very satisfied with the outcome. It’s 60% about how you present yourself and 40% about how you present the case.

I agree with you, think I’d probably struggle with a claim against the letting company, so on that basis I’d refer it to the higher court of Barry Shittpeas. I’m not satisfied until the defendant is not satisfied.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I have a friend who owns a hotel over the IOW, I took a look at his web site a couple of months back and it said more or less business as usual. However he did advise taking out insurance on the booking although he didn't say exactly why you should but I suppose the answer's obvious but he didn't want to spell it out.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have a friend who owns a hotel over the IOW, I took a look at his web site a couple of months back and it said more or less business as usual. However he did advise taking out insurance on the booking although he didn't say exactly why you should but I suppose the answer's obvious but he didn't want to spell it out.
But there surely isn't a hope in hell of being able to both find and afford insurance that would cover any such situation. Is there?

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It's simple. If they don't have a product to sell, they can't sell it and should not charge people. One day, this will be over and I hope everyone ***** off abroad on holiday and drives these ***** to the wall.

Reactions: oldgroaner

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
But there surely isn't a hope in hell of being able to both find and afford insurance that would cover any such situation. Is there?
I'm guessing the insurance just standard should you need to cancel kind of cover rather than in case the UK suffers a " Tunguska Event " or such like.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I'm guessing the insurance just standard should you need to cancel kind of cover rather than in case the UK suffers a " Tunguska Event " or such like.
Insurance companies won’t pay if a U.K. holiday becomes impossible due to government lock-down measures. They say that the U.K. letting agent / Owners must provide a refund under consumer law. The letting agents / owners are sticking two fingers up to the law and trousering the money AND claiming government business support grants.

I‘m afraid Cornwall and other places like it are going to experience a surge in Coronavirus.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Insurance companies won’t pay if a U.K. holiday becomes impossible due to government lock-down measures. They say that the U.K. letting agent / Owners must provide a refund under consumer law. The letting agents / owners are sticking two fingers up to the law and trousering the money AND claiming government business support grants.

I‘m afraid Cornwall and other places like it are going to experience a surge in Coronavirus.
This may be a simplistic answer, but I'd join WHICH legal, the last time I calculated it saved me between 5 and 10k a year (for its subscription of something like 60 quid) by providing solid irrefutable legal advice that made me come out on top in various scraps with energy providers, water companies, insurance providers, even sellers on amazon and ebay.

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Advertisers