Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Have to say, I'd be distinctly unhappy if a doctor arrested on suspicion of rape were left to continue seeing patients.

Are people expected to continue visiting (virtually or otherwise) MP surgeries with this member? Discussing sometimes very private issues.

Can an MP under such suspicion really represent their constituents?

Difficult questions, yes. Hard for the individual, yes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have to say, I'd be distinctly unhappy if a doctor arrested on suspicion of rape were left to continue seeing patients.
Of course they should be suspended by their professional body the BMA when notified confidentially by the police, but that doesn't mean it has to be publicised. They and MPs can merely be "indisposed" to use a discreet Victorian expression.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd be interested to see, say, People's Daily Online (in China) being successfully sanctioned.
The editor or a journalist coud be arrested if they visited, depending on how much embarrassment we wished to cause. But of course such sanctions are imperfect, but that doesn't mean they should never be used. Setting an example of someone can have a widespread deterrent effect.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
The editor or a journalist coud be arrested if they visited, depending on how much embarrassment we wished to cause. But of course such sanctions are imperfect, but that doesn't mean they should never be used. Setting an example of someone can have a widespread deterrent effect.
We had somebody make up a fake account on facebook (John Jones) he/she then named all the local drug dealers on a community page and asked how they were getting away with it....They did 5 days of "Riddle me this" articles then disappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh Dear Johnson's WA deal had some small print no one read to him
BRITAIN is facing a £160billion EU loans bill after Brexit — four times the size of the “divorce” settlement.

Boris Johnson’s Withdrawal Agreement keeps the UK hooked to payments issued by EU agencies.

:D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Oh Dear Johnson's WA deal had some small print no one read to him
BRITAIN is facing a £160billion EU loans bill after Brexit — four times the size of the “divorce” settlement.

Boris Johnson’s Withdrawal Agreement keeps the UK hooked to payments issued by EU agencies.

:D
That this has only just received this publicity says so much about the whole sorry mess.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Of course they should be suspended by their professional body the BMA when notified confidentially by the police, but that doesn't mean it has to be publicised. They and MPs can merely be "indisposed" to use a discreet Victorian expression.
Afraid that if there were, say, ten possibilities and nine continued to be visible in many ways (e.g. holding surgeries, writing articles, even saying that it isn't them), it rather identifies who it is by elimination.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Afraid that if there were, say, ten possibilities and nine continued to be visible in many ways (e.g. holding surgeries, writing articles, even saying that it isn't them), it rather identifies who it is by elimination.
The ordinary members of the public aren't going to do this. It's the sort of thing the media would, but if they or anyone else for that matter are prevented in law from publishing or publicising in any way, so what.

As I said before, just making an example of someone breaching this law in any way would have a salutary deterrent effect.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The ordinary members of the public aren't going to do this. It's the sort of thing the media would, but if they or anyone else for that matter are prevented in law from publishing or publicising in any way, so what.

As I said before, just making an example of someone breaching this law in any way would have a salutary deterrent effect.
I know of a public conversation which is doing exactly this. (Not a UK site but readily accessible without any need to sign up or any such issues.) I have no reason to think the posters are anything other than ordinary members of the public, though some might not be in the UK.

No individual is privy to anything, but they have listed all tory MPs who are 50, and have been ministers. Then removed some on various grounds (such as public knowledge of their location while the person was under arrest and being questioned), considered their likelihood based on other aspects. And so the list shortens.

Some are pointing at specific individuals.

I am being very careful not to say anything other than mentioning the logic and some very widely reported information. I have no desire to affect the case in any way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they have listed all tory MPs who are 50, and have been ministers. Then removed some on various grounds (such as public knowledge of their location while the person was under arrest and being questioned), considered their likelihood based on other aspects. And so the list shortens.

Some are pointing at specific individuals.
Yes, the problem of the internet and nothing is perfect of course.

But as I said, that doesn't make it not worth trying. We can certainly do far better than we have in the past.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
On Twitter some people are naming names then saying ' of course it's not them' thereby sowing the seed as it were,
shortlisted to just a handful now.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
It seems a certain MP has deleted his Facebook & Twitter Acc. and is being fingered by the foreign press as the 'guilty' party ... Google is your friend ;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, the problem of the internet and nothing is perfect of course.

But as I said, that doesn't make it not worth trying. We can certainly do far better than we have in the past.
I seem to remember a saying
"The effect of fingering them all is hang the lot and let God sort them out" :cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We are World beaters!

Alas!
We aren't quite as world-beating as that implies, it leaves out Belgium; they beat us by 85 to 68.
(of course the figures are all somewhat incomparable because of different rules and testing regimes)
Spain is also missing, with their rather odd stats (fewer total deaths now then there had been on May 24).

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and Nev

Advertisers