Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This afternoon BA will inform all the pilots who are losing their jobs over the Covid crisis.

At the same time they will require all the longing serving pilots who they are not sacking to sign new contracts with massive drops in pay.

I wonder how many other companies will follow suit as the government 80% furlough comes to an end?

I can see this ending as the biggest drop in working people's standard of living in the living history of the majority.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It's just been announced that those recently arrived have been detained in asylum centres and will be flown back to France and Germany next week in accordance with EU rules that they should have sought asylum in those countries or the first EU country they arrived in.
Can that be brought forwards to later on this afternoon?

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This afternoon BA will inform all the pilots who are losing their jobs over the Covid crisis.

At the same time they will require all the longing serving pilots who they are not sacking to sign new contracts with massive drops in pay.

I wonder how many other companies will follow suit as the government 80% furlough comes to an end?

I can see this ending as the biggest drop in working people's standard of living in the living history of the majority.
It's part of the government's 'flatten down' policy.

• Agree

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
On another note a company based in Portsmouth Docks has applied for a licence to store Ammonium Nitrate in it's warehouses, it seems this will be granted.

Have you got a light boy .. have you got a light ... :eek:

• :D
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
On another note a company based in Portsmouth Docks has applied for a licence to store Ammonium Nitrate in it's warehouses, it seems this will be granted.

Have you got a light boy .. have you got a light ... :eek:
This will be all part of this red tape stuff. If we get rid red tape, we can have fun and a big fireworks display like Beirut. Red tape spoils everything. Down with red tape.

• :D
Reactions: sjpt and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

This sort of thing has been happening for the past 20 years. My wife was sacked by her local authority employer and offered a new contract on much less favourable terms. UNISON were pissing about with anti-fracking politics and couldn’t care less.

BA is the thin edge of the wedge. Businesses are going to use Coronavirus to rinse their employees. Unions are now so weak and so distracted by non union business, they may as well not exist.

I wonder what those pilots will do. Aeroplane driving is a strange business. The personality traits of pilots isn’t necessarily something that would be an asset to other industries.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

It IS funny to hear the head of BoE saying all will be well, furlough can end in October, the hit to the economy wont be as bad as feared. While daily infections increase from circa 600 to 1000 in the uk over the past week and similarly in Europe. He must have access to the same high grade stash of halucinogenics as boris and hancock

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder what those pilots will do. Aeroplane driving is a strange business. The personality traits of pilots isn’t necessarily something that would be an asset to other industries.
Indeed, and the business itself has a strangely old fashioned side for one so modern. Maybe a revolutionary new approach is a called for.

We can fly drones from thousands of miles away with enough pinpoint accuracy to assassinate an individual, and we invented automatic landing long ago. Therefore why not run even cheaper air services to holiday destinations etc than RyanAir, without any pilots or air stewards and just one armed security man on board to keep the passengers in line.

The youngsters who McDonalds are laying off could be taken on to fly the drone passenger aircraft since with all their electronic games experience they are ideally suited and would be happy to work for McDonalds level pay.

For passengers with enough money who don't like flying that way, also run some of the best planes fully crewed with the highly paid best staff and a luxury service at Concorde level fares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Indeed, and the business itself has a strangly old fashioned side for one so modern. Maybe a revolutionary new approach is a called for.

We can fly drones from thousands of miles away with enough pinpoint accuracy to assassinate an individual, and we invented automatic landing long ago. Therefore why not run even cheaper air services to holiday destinations etc than RyanAir, without any pilots or air stewards and just one armed security man on board to keep the passengers in line.

The youngsters who McDonalds are laying off could be taken on to fly the drone passenger aircraft since with all their electronic games experience they are ideally suited and would be happy to work for McDonalds level pay.

For passengers with enough money who don't like flying that way, also run some of the best planes fully crewed with the highly paid best staff and a luxury service at Concorde level fares.
Pilots haven’t been needed on passenger aircraft for years. They might even be safer without them because humans make mistakes when they think they know better than the machine. There are a few exceptions where the lantern jawed hero pilot has saved the day, The Hudson River landing brings one. But generally, humans cause more crashes than they save.

Not sure about the one armed security guy being on board. Might be better to have a person with two arms.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yet more utter, total surprises re testing:

Revealed: UK's rapid Covid test not yet approved by regulators
Exclusive: no data on accuracy of this and other test bought by government has been published
Jon Deeks, professor of biostatistics at Birmingham University who is conducting an evaluation of such tests, said he had not come across either of them when the government announcement was made.

“It looks like a decision that was raced through. They are making decisions before anybody knows the results as to how well they work,” said Deeks. “They are not making clear comparisons with the alternatives, which means that British people might not get the best tests.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/07/revealed-uk-rapid-covid-test-not-yet-approved-by-regulators

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Express is basically lying through it teeth again
"
Coronavirus SHAMBLES: Boris making progress in England while Sturgeon going BACKWARDS
BORIS JOHNSON is continuing to win the battle to curb the spread of coronavirus in England, but Nicola Sturgeon is struggling to beat the pandemic, with new infections surging in Scotland.

The bigger the lie the better eh?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's just been announced that those recently arrived have been detained in asylum centres and will be flown back to France and Germany next week in accordance with EU rules that they should have sought asylum in those countries or the first EU country they arrived in.
This is known as urinating on someone's bonfire! :D

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
That arrangement will end at the end of the Brexit transition period - next January....

Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
This passage from a report in the Guardian, got me thinking that I don't really know much about the ANPR system.

{She said: “Obviously PCCs can’t get involved in operational matters but, if I was Clare and Dave Edwards’ elected representative I would wholeheartedly support their request to review ANPR [automatic number plate recognition] data for that weekend to settle the matter once and for all.”}

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions.

1. How long does the ANPR system store the information gathered on its data bases?

2. Who has access to this data?

3. Now obviously Police forces have access but who in each force is allowed to use the data base, would it only be senior officers or could say Sergeant level be able to search it?

4. I would imagine Security Forces have access to the data base, wouldn't they already know if Cummings is telling the truth about not doing a second trip up North. If he is lying then that would be powerful information they would hold over him and also therefore Boris, wouldn't this info already have leaked out to the press by now though?

5. Is it likely that if this information did at one time exist, then DC and Cummings are powerful enough to have it deleted by the people in charge of the ANPR system?

Here is a link to the complete article from which the passage came from.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
This passage from a report in the Guardian, got me thinking that I don't really know much about the ANPR system.

{She said: “Obviously PCCs can’t get involved in operational matters but, if I was Clare and Dave Edwards’ elected representative I would wholeheartedly support their request to review ANPR [automatic number plate recognition] data for that weekend to settle the matter once and for all.”}

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions.

1. How long does the ANPR system store the information gathered on its data bases?

2. Who has access to this data?

3. Now obviously Police forces have access but who in each force is allowed to use the data base, would it only be senior officers or could say Sergeant level be able to search it?

4. I would imagine Security Forces have access to the data base, wouldn't they already know if Cummings is telling the truth about not doing a second trip up North. If he is lying then that would be powerful information they would hold over him and also therefore Boris, wouldn't this info already have leaked out to the press by now though?

5. Is it likely that if this information did at one time exist, then DC and Cummings are powerful enough to have it deleted by the people in charge of the ANPR system?

Here is a link to the complete article from which the passage came from.

It depends if your job needs access to ANPR. Searches of the database are usually carried out by civilian clerks employed for the task. There will be quite a few PCs with access too. I doubt anyone above Sgt rank would get involved with carry out searches.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I doubt anyone above Sgt rank would get involved with carry out searches.
So would you say that its very likely several newspaper reporters (they will already know DCs car number plate) will have already bribed people to interrogate the data base, and as nothing has been reported then there is no evidence of him making the second trip North?

Wouldn't foreign security services such as the Russians consider doing the same thing to get some kompromat on an important person like Cumming, it might pay off very handsomely in years to come. In a similar fashion to what Putin has possible got on Trump.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wouldn't foreign security services such as the Russians consider doing the same thing to get some kompromat on an important person like Cumming, it might pay off very handsomely in years to come. In a similar fashion to what Putin has possible got on Trump.
Not at all, Cummings isn't an important person in that sense, he's just an advisor so not even a political figure. This silly story has no value to anyone.

This whole matter is, as I've previously posted, a storm in a teacup and it should have been dropped long ago instead of being used for some supposed political advantage. I'm generally supportive of Labour and the Guardian but this petty campaign just discredits them

If the offence was committed it was a petty one that only merited an on the spot fine.

No one is ever convicted of anything serious solely on witness evidence of a sighting since the unreliability of that was well established very long ago. There always has to be strong supporting evidence since we all have doppelgängers, apparently a 1 in 135 chance of a near perfect one and many more chances of a near enough one to fool many.

I imagine that Cummings with his logical mind is secretly amused at the way this silly campaign is driving his accusers further up the wall with frustration.

Reactions: daveboy

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
This silly story has no value to anyone.
So when he said live to everyone in the garden press conference that he did not make the second trip up North then it does not matter if it could be proved he was lying?

I think if it could be proved ie with something like the ANPR evidence then he would have to resign, and BJ who has backed him and said he has seen evidence that DC did not make a second trip would be under tremendous pressure to go too.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think if it could be proved ie with something like the ANPR evidence then he would have to resign, and BJ who has backed him and said he has seen evidence that DC did not make a second trip would be under tremendous pressure to go too.
BTW I don't think this evidence exists as mentioned earlier I think it would have been leaked by now. It may possibly have existed at one time, but this government is more than capable of making the evidence disappear.

Advertisers