Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
There's the Sun Newspaper for you. Wonder how SC managed to come off of his bike, he's often seen on various machines you would think he was a fairly adept cyclist.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
In case anyone is interested the remote Temp probe outside my flat has just bleeped for the first time ever ... it's set to sound at 40c = 104f. Very hot on the south coast ATM.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
And didn't stop the people of the UK electing his party.
That’s a measure of just how dire the alternative was. Jo Swindon or Jez Corbyn or a lying cowardly yellow streak of pi$$. The streak of pi$$ just edges it for many people.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It seems Simon Cowell has come off of his E-bike and broke his back, thankfully his bike is alright.
This is a photo of his squeeze riding her bike with the caption ...

On the go: That day his girlfriend Lauren Silverman was seen riding her non-electric bicycle down a sunny street in MalibuView attachment 37613
Does this mean that there will be no more X-Factor and Britain’s got Talent? It’s time to put down both of those shows, their back legs went ages ago.

• Agree

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I've never seen any of those shows I must admit, there again nor have I seen Star Wars - Lord of the Rings - I'm a Celeb - Strictly or any popular mainstream entertainment productions.
I'm an odd-bod to be sure, I only watch B/W films Jack Hawkins, Stanley Baker etc. more atmosphere when there's no colour. Bit of a Tony Hancock buff too, I actually own more of his recordings than the BBC.
They came after me once asking If I would like to repatriate some of them .. they got no reply :)

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I've never seen any of those shows I must admit, there again nor have I seen Star Wars - Lord of the Rings - I'm a Celeb - Strictly
You are a lucky man. I’ve never seen Star Wars. I hate SciFi, it’s a load of crap.

Must admit, most of my viewing recently has been via Netflix.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You are a lucky man. I’ve never seen Star Wars. I hate SciFi, it’s a load of crap.

Must admit, most of my viewing recently has been via Netflix.
Well, I did go to see the original Star Wars back in the day ..80s? .. not overly impressed. Once I went to a Lord of the Rings film and a Harry Potter within the same week. They were oceans apart.. the LoRs was all huge set pieces huge budget and utterly devoid of humanity. .. essentially boring. The HP was altogether a different proposition ..looked as if were done on a shoe string ,but the characters were believable!!, And humanity showed. In a nutshell it was the difference between UK and USA ..and the UK won.
Currently I am watching a Channel 4 Sci Fi series on Netflix called Humans.. and it is like Westworld ,..the USA series about Robots , but much more clever and shows how real people would react .

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Well, I did go to see the original Star Wars back in the day ..80s? .. not overly impressed. Once I went to a Lord of the Rings film and a Harry Potter within the same week. They were oceans apart.. the LoRs was all huge set pieces huge budget and utterly devoid of humanity. .. essentially boring. The HP was altogether a different proposition ..looked as if were done on a shoe string ,but the characters were believable!!, And humanity showed. In a nutshell it was the difference between UK and USA ..and the UK won.
Currently I am watching a Channel 4 Sci Fi series on Netflix called Humans.. and it is like Westworld ,..the USA series about Robots , but much more clever and shows how real people would react .
I was with you (lor is devoid of humanity) up to hp, which I found contrived and phoney. I like science fiction more when it's like the Russian Solaris or original blade runner gritty and existential.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I must admit to straying into colour when it comes to Sci Fi, remember " David Vincent's seen them, now he has to convince a disbelieving world " it's like the Cummings thing.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I must admit to straying into colour when it comes to Sci Fi, remember " David Vincent's seen them, now he has to convince a disbelieving world " it's like the Cummings thing.
Ah, the invaders. I love good scifi (and brexit, to remain on topic, makes me love it more as it provides a fantasy of a parallel reality one could escape into). I watched humans - like blade runner it's about the meaning of consciousness, whether machines can become conscious (both based on phillip k dick's do androids dream of electric sheep). I liked humans until it became happy ending sentimental.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ah, the invaders. I love good scifi (and brexit, to remain on topic, makes me love it more as it provides a fantasy of a parallel reality one could escape into). I watched humans - like blade runner it's about the meaning of consciousness, whether machines can become conscious (both based on phillip k dick's do androids dream of electric sheep). I liked humans until it became happy ending sentimental.
...well in Humans I have not yet got to the end... So I cannot complain about sentiment..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was with you (lor is devoid of humanity) up to hp, which I found contrived and phoney. I like science fiction more when it's like the Russian Solaris or original blade runner gritty and existential.
...well of course the HP was contrived, but it had humour,and quality acting from the main adult actors

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Think I am stuck in history as well - I really appreciated some S/F films like Dark Star and the weirdly serious spoof Tremors.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Arithmetic is not a strength of this government:

Meanwhile, care minister Helen Whateley is on Sky, Radio 4 and others this morning promoting the government’s £172m plan to fund 2,000 new nursing apprenticeships annually for the next four years.

The pledge reflects the government’s election promise to have “50,000 more nurses” by the end of this parliament.
That could, just about, be 8,000 over the four years (ignoring the time it takes to complete the apprenticeships). Then subtract the ones who retire, resign, are sacked, die or otherwise leave the profession in the same time window.

(Old data, I'm afraid:
Almost 10,000 nurses retire each year.
https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/nurses-over-50-options-decisions-and-outcomes )

• Informative

Advertisers