Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Even worse, we have no way of knowing whether presence of those antibodies really does indicate immunity after months/years.
I was listening to some broadcast from some place recently with my little ear, where the speaker suggested it could well be 10 years before we have a effective vaccination or even as much as a whole generation could pass by until that becomes a reality. Football fields will become meadows full of wild flowers ... Good !

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"A stitch in time saves nine."

So glad our so-called PM said that. I hadn't realised...

(And I had to stop watching because I can't stand watching his hands. Funny how that also applies to Trump.)

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Would this include the UK? I can certainly hope so:

Facebook says it may quit Europe over ban on sharing data with US
EU court in July ruled there were insufficient safeguards against snooping by US intelligence agencies
I think the UK would NOT be included in EU safeguards. Facebook has its European Headquarters in Dublin.. something about the EU. I for one these social media platforms sas utter parasites

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the UK would NOT be included in EU safeguards. Facebook has its European Headquarters in Dublin.. something about the EU. I for one these social media platforms sas utter parasites
On the basis that we do really need data transfer between us and the EU, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see agreement to implement EU safeguards as part of any trade agreement - eventually. That is, even if we go no-deal to begin with.

Could NI be subject to EU safeguards even if the rest of the UK isn't?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Come off it Gove - that's all project fear, isn't it? Reloaded? With a Vengeance? The Next Level? Or the rather amusingly neat Part Deux?

Exporters to the EU face 7,000-truck-long queues in Kent and two-day delays to trade after the Brexit transition period ends, the government has warned.

Imports will also be disrupted in January, according to a letter from cabinet minister Michael Gove to the freight industry, seen by BBC News.

It also raises the prospect of a winter spike in Covid-19 leading to absences of port and border staff.

The transition period is due to expire at the end of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
When is Johnson sending the Army onto the streets to fight off Coronavirus? Is the announcement regarding using the Army instead of, or to supplement, the Corona-Sheriffs? Or have they abandoned the idea of using powerless, unpaid and unprotected volunteers?

Can‘t wait to see the first pictures of “Mummy’s little angel” with their face squashes between the the sole of an army boot and the pavement, for being twat.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When is Johnson sending the Army onto the streets to fight off Coronavirus? Is the announcement regarding using the Army instead of, or to supplement, the Corona-Sheriffs? Or have they abandoned the idea of using powerless, unpaid and unprotected volunteers?

Can‘t wait to see the first pictures of “Mummy’s little angel” with their face squashes between the the sole of an army boot and the pavement, for being twat.
Is the government wondering if cutting the army to the smallest numbers since 1790 was such an excellent plan? Even if you include reserves, you can go back to the 1830s.

Aha! Re-introduce National Service. They can all go into barracks for a few weeks to ensure optimal cross-infection and heightened herd immunity before being available for the streets.

Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I hadn’t realised that when the boozer shuts at 10:00pm, people only need to wait 7 hours before the pubs reopen at 5:00am! Then, they can then get stuck into another 17 hour session of fags and ale. We’ve got the Coronavirus thing beaten in this country. EU, watch & learn.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He did it again
King Midas in Reverse

"
Brexit Ferry Firm Hired By Chris Grayling Despite Having No Ships Goes Bust, Owing £2m
Seaborne Freight was infamously given a £13.8m contract to run ferry services by the then-transport secretary.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Gove in optimistic mood.

Gove letter to industry warning of queues of 7,000 trucks in worst case reasonable scenario

"The British people have had enough of Exports" :D

I'm struggling with "worst case reasonable scenario"
And previous claims about "Project Fear"

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Army at least here in Colchester has been quiet over the spring / summer as they've been on furlough - though they flew some out and dropped them close to Crimea in case Putin makes a grab for a Ukrainian dam / canal system under cover of soon to be held Russian military excercise.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Come off it Gove - that's all project fear, isn't it? Reloaded? With a Vengeance? The Next Level? Or the rather amusingly neat Part Deux?
The haulage industry think they are being fitted up by Gove so that if it all goes wrong come January and there are massive hold ups at the borders then they can take all of the blame and the government can hold up their hands and say its not our fault. This government are very good at deflecting blame onto other people and organisations for their failings. They have got most of the press in their pocket so they will usually go along with anything the government tells them. So come early next year and there might be shortages of fresh produce in shops etc. its the poor old lorry drivers who will be blamed for not sorting out the paper work in time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Could this be a significant contribution to managing Covid-9? Or just a minor bit-player with no measurable impact?

A company in Japan has launched an ultraviolet lamp that can kill the coronavirus without damaging people’s eyes or skin, and is expected to be used to disinfect busy spaces such as train carriages, lifts and waiting rooms.

The Care 222 is the first of its kind, according to Ushio, a lighting electronics manufacturer based in Tokyo.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting tweet
richard horton@richardhorton1
·
1h

The COVID-19 narrative promoted by Carl Heneghan and the Today programme that we should be transitioning to a Sweden-style response is dangerous and wrong. Look at the data. Deaths/100000: UK=62.9, Sweden=57.6, Canada=25.0, Germany=11.3, Denmark=11.0. Sweden is no exemplar."

Quite!

But from the Tory point of view
Their approach is more profitable
And it reduces the care bill as to them "Elderly lives Don't Matter"

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Could this be a significant contribution to managing Covid-9? Or just a minor bit-player with no measurable impact?
I have it! it came in a blinding flash of UV!!!
We need UV light emitting pills
Two so you can push one up each side of your nose.
(Easy to sneeze out to change the batteries)
And one on a string you can fasten to a tooth so you can swallow the pill and haul it back up for the same reason.

No more test and trace required
great for battery sales

World beating innovation
I'm a genius in my own imagination
I'm only asking for a few million to get set up
:cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Gove in optimistic mood.

Gove letter to industry warning of queues of 7,000 trucks in worst case reasonable scenario

"The British people have had enough of Exports" :D

I'm struggling with "worst case reasonable scenario"
And previous claims about "Project Fear"
Mr Gove, in his letter, says the government will introduce a "Smart Freight" IT service to enable drivers and hauliers to complete a border readiness check.

Another 'world beating' project to delegate Dido to manage....

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But from the Tory point of view
Their approach is more profitable
And it reduces the care bill as to them "Elderly lives Don't Matter"
agreed.
but they don't have much else to offer.
Test and trace after 50,000 new cases a day is nigh impossible without a compulsory app.
Transmission at workplace is my biggest worry.
I have now closed my shop to callers and prepare to switch to shifts like we did during lockdown to reduce Covid risk.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Mr Gove, in his letter, says the government will introduce a "Smart Freight" IT service to enable drivers and hauliers to complete a border readiness check.

Another 'world beating' project to delegate Dido to manage....
I suspect that the existing SmartFreight® Group might have something to say about this. Quite possibly in the courts.

This website is owned and operated by the SmartFreight® Group, its ultimate Holding Company, IFS Holdings Pty Ltd (ABN 159 679 311) and operate by its various subsidiaries and Authorised Distributors.
https://smartfreight.com/terms-and-conditions/

I think there must be a stuck key/auto-spelling correction. "World-beaten" is what they mean. Surely?

Advertisers