Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Happy App Day everyone.

Who’s downloaded the NHS Covid-19 App then? I suppose you can’t reply if you have because your phone battery will have been drained. It’s a bit like saying, put your hand up if you are not here.

I agree, it’s a very low key launch, hardly any publicity. Wonder why?
I've come up with:
  • Download capacity (surely not with Google & Apple stores being behind it?)
  • Fear of vast numbers of technical issues (causing problems to people's phones)
  • Fear of bad publicity
  • Embarrassment that it is so late
  • Virtually no testing between the NI and S apps and this E&W app.

I installed more or less at the time I posted. And it has used 6% of my battery already (iPhone 6s). Which works out around 16% over 24 hours. That is a serious additional load on the poor old phone. Without any other phones within range (at least, none with the app installed).

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fascinating
https://www.sustainweb.org/blogs/sep19_government_says_it_has_no_duty_to_secure_food_in_a_crisis/
Government says it has no duty to secure food supplies in a no-deal Brexit (nor any other crisis)
"Two official documents this week reveal that our Government feels no legal responsibility for securing our food supplies in an emergency – neither fire, flood, disease epidemic, conflict, supply chain disruption, nor no-deal Brexit.

In one of the documents (Defra’s answer to a Parliamentary Question), the Government places the main responsibility for securing our food supply in an emergency squarely with the commercial food industry. Yet the other document (Yellowhammer) clearly acknowledges that “Private sector companies’ behaviour will be governed by commercial considerations, unless influenced otherwise.” In a food crisis, we are caught between a rock and a very hard place."

Hmmm!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
very interesting article. It may show why eating junk food rich in linoleic acid may save the young from Covid's severity.
I couldn't decide whether greater or lesser linoleic acid consumption would be advantageous!

But it is soluble in ethanol so perhaps we should just go down the boozer? Or is that "shouldn't"?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Fascinating
https://www.sustainweb.org/blogs/sep19_government_says_it_has_no_duty_to_secure_food_in_a_crisis/
Government says it has no duty to secure food supplies in a no-deal Brexit (nor any other crisis)
"Two official documents this week reveal that our Government feels no legal responsibility for securing our food supplies in an emergency – neither fire, flood, disease epidemic, conflict, supply chain disruption, nor no-deal Brexit.

In one of the documents (Defra’s answer to a Parliamentary Question), the Government places the main responsibility for securing our food supply in an emergency squarely with the commercial food industry. Yet the other document (Yellowhammer) clearly acknowledges that “Private sector companies’ behaviour will be governed by commercial considerations, unless influenced otherwise.” In a food crisis, we are caught between a rock and a very hard place."

Hmmm!
I can think of one group of people that won’t be going hungry.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Nothing says Black Lives Matter like shooting random police officers who are just going about their duty.

It’s time this scum was washed down the drain and into the sewer where it belongs.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Fascinating

Hmmm!
Nothing changes .. That is exactly the same proud parliamentary position the same Westminster adopted in 1846 to 1850. Of course it has no duty . They make the laws . It is the distinction between responsibility ..moral and duty ... Legal.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Nothing says Black Lives Matter like shooting random police officers who are just going about their duty.

It’s time this scum was washed down the drain and into the sewer where it belongs.
Your outrage is very selective . In a day when 1000 US deaths are admitte due to CV19 and ongoing for months ,and 100 others die from gun violence in the USA, to home in on the regrettable deaths of two. Remind me of your posting when that 17 year old youth Kyle got driven 17 miles by his mother , so as to murder two black protesters , and wounded another, and was let go home by the local police.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Two official documents this week reveal that our Government feels no legal responsibility for securing our food supplies in an emergency
That would instantly change for a world war. WW2 immediately resulted in a coalition government and them taking total control of all food supplies, from production to rationing.

Once again illustrating conflict is all they care about.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I couldn't decide whether greater or lesser linoleic acid consumption would be advantageous!

But it is soluble in ethanol so perhaps we should just go down the boozer? Or is that "shouldn't"?
I did read the article that they published in the Science journal. Apparently, the researchers @ Bristol University discovered that the spikes on SARS COV2 have greasy tubes that trap linoleic acid. If you add linoleic acid to remdesivir as a treatment for Covid patients, you get synergy, you can reduce the dosage and secondary effects of remdesivir.
I reckon fish & chips, a slice of lemon and beer will be just as efficient at stopping Covid as anything.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
You really are good at completely misreading what is posted. At no point have I mentioned disability, nor have I make any mention of not caring for those born disabled. I'm merely promoting some rational thought rather than the all too common sole reliance on emotional reactions and the assumption that everyone wants to cling onto life or that it's always worthwhile.

I know how my mother's peaceful passing into death was stopped by a crash trolley team, only for her to die a truly terrible death three months later at 78 years old. At the time she was revived back to life she was furious, since she had known she was drifting into peaceful death and that is what she wanted.

I cared for my father through a three year extension to his life, with each of those years becoming increasingly insufferable for him. With his later hindsight he would have preferred to have died at 85 rather than suffering the extension to 88.

And I know my brother would have accepted his Covid mentioned death at 87 in May this year, since he'd already firmly stated he didn't want a replacement when his nine year previously replaced valve failed. He'd not only had that open heart surgery, shortly afterwards he went down with bowel cancer, followed by chemotherapy, radiotherapy, a string of less than successful operations and a compromised and very restricted life. Basically he'd had enough of medical skills and was ready to go at any time, so it didn't surprise me when he didn't respond to the hospital covid care.

Those who would protract life are all too often not just uncaring but evil, as witness them passing laws to prevent those desperate to die from seeking assistance to that end.
So what should happen to disabled & elderly disabled should their lives be prolonged in face of Covid? but only the elderly be expended? What is elderly 50?, 60? 70? 80? 90? 100? ? Am I at 57 with coranary risk factors similar to someone more in their 60s not elderly? When I worked on a care of elderly hospital ward we had people in 60s 70s+ and staff were often older than the patients!

Some patients made it clear they wanted to die, often at odds with expectations of next of kin. Some patients again wanted to die even though physically they were 'fine' but mentally had given up. Literally hid under bed covers and refused food and drink , another who removed 3 times his nasal gastric feeding tube who got his message across and another gent who simply pushed away food on his table. This was often distressing for relatives who couldn't comprehend what was happening - but we had to try. Most just wanted to get well and return to their familar homes and routine, and get a good nights sleep in their own beds.

Sounds like there was liitle or no discussion / communication with care team / docs on DNR. Look up Liverpool Care Pathway (LCP)

In my mum's situation I was able to clearly communicate with the docs to make her comfortable with morphine and move her to a side room when her congestive heart failure was causing her severe distress. Often this communication isn't possible as sometimes patients / relatives are understandably overwhelmed with the situation.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I did read the article that they published in the Science journal. Apparently, the researchers @ Bristol University discovered that the spikes on SARS COV2 have greasy tubes that trap linoleic acid. If you add linoleic acid to remdesivir as a treatment for Covid patients, you get synergy, you can reduce the dosage and secondary effects of remdesivir.
I reckon fish & chips, a slice of lemon and beer will be just as efficient at stopping Covid as anything.
Yes - I too went there and read. But other than acting as a way of drawing in another medicine, I was struggling to see what the effects of higher or lower linoleic acid, alone, might be.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes - I too went there and read. But other than acting as a way of drawing in another medicine, I was struggling to see what the effects of higher or lower linoleic acid, alone, might be.
basically, FFA (free fatty acids) compete with ACE2 in binding with the spikes. A higher concentration of LA will immobilize more RBDs.

quote:

In summary, we find four molecular features mediating LA binding to SARS-CoV-2, and potentially also SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV S proteins: a conserved hydrophobic pocket, a gating helix, amino acid residues pre-positioned to interact with the LA carboxy headgroup, and loosely packed RBDs in the “apo” form. In contrast, in each of the four common circulating HCoVs, it appears that one or more of these four architectural prerequisites are lacking in the S protein structures (Fig. 4 and figs. S11 and S12). LA binding to SARSCoV-2 S triggers a locking down of the hydrophilic anchor and a compaction of the RBD trimer (Fig. 3, C and D). In addition to stabilizing the closed conformation, this could also help stabilize the S1 region comprising the N-terminal domain and the RBD. The RBM, central to ACE2 binding, appears to be conformationally preorganized in our structure (Fig. 2C) indicating a generally more rigid RBD trimer when LA is bound. While direct crosstalk in between the LAbinding pocket and the RBM is not apparent from our structure (Fig. 2C), the conformational changes in the RBD trimer (Fig. 3) could impact ACE2 docking and infectivity as indicated by our SPR assays showing reduced levels of S binding in the presence of LA (Fig. 2D). The S protein’s tight binding of LA originates from a well-defined size and shape complementarity afforded by the pocket (Fig. 1, B and D). The LAbinding pocket thus presents a promising target for future development of small molecule inhibitors that, for example, could irreversibly lock S in the closed conformation and interfere with receptor interactions. It is noteworthy in this context that a fatty acid binding pocket was exploited previously to develop potent small molecule anti-viral drugs against rhinovirus, locking viral surface proteins in a conformation incompatible with receptor binding (29, 30). These anti-virals were successful in human clinical trials (31, 32). A recent proteomic and metabolomic study of COVID-19 patient sera showed continuous decrease of FFAs including LA (33). Lipid metabolome remodeling is a common element of viral infection (34, 35). For coronaviruses, the LA to arachidonic acid metabolic pathway was identified as central to lipid remodeling (10). We hypothesize that LA sequestration by SARS-CoV-2 could confer a tissue-independent mechanism by which pathogenic coronavirus infection may drive immune dysregulation and inflammation (35–37). Our findings provide a direct structural link between LA, COVID-19 pathology and the virus itself and suggest that both the LAbinding pocket within the S protein and the multi-nodal LA signaling axis, represent excellent therapeutic intervention points against SARS-CoV-2 infections.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In other words as I've been posting for a long time, just carry on with life as normal without worrying. That will protect us at least as well as hiding away and being scared of Covid.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
First shortcoming I’ve noticed with the App. Once you’ve set your location, it can’t be changed. The App says my area is Low, but if I go to Hull for example, the App will give me the risk level where I live, not Hull. That’s pretty useless, it’s almost like they’ve put a jockey in charge of setting this up.

Last edited:

Advertisers