Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Flecc.. where are you getting your statistics ?.
My figures read
UK DE
895K 450K certified infections
21K 12.6K new certified infections yesterday
102 44 new deaths yesterday
662 121 deaths per 100K
68M 83M population.
367 deaths today, highest since may, so much for hancock's "we know better how to deal with it this time"

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My figures read
UK DE
662 121 deaths per 100K
68M 83M population.
I haven't quoted any numbers, I'm speaking of the respective rates of increases in infections.

And I haven't mentioned the UK, only my area of South London.

I got my facts from BBC radio and I'm sure Angela Merkel knows whats happening in Germany currently.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Where the hell did you get that from? Have you been reading the Guardian or something?
It's true he has a different personality because he doesn't come from a political background, but everything he's done has been for the good of the American people. He cut taxes and made all the working and middle classes better off; brought troops home from wars they shouldn't be fighting; brokered a massive peace deal in the middle east; shored up the military and defences; sorted out NATO; increased employment, particularly for black, Hispanic, Asian and women and young people; reduced poverty; reduced the cost of drugs; got the economy booming; brought back manufacturing from China and Mexico; reduced illegal migration; cut out critical race theory from state organisations; and he's started draining the swamp.

As a citizen, what would be on your list of things to improve?

That's quite a lot in 4 years while fighting off impeachment and Covid, and at the same time having to deal with biased and crooked media.

What did Obama achieve in 8 years? What has Boris achieved? What's his plans for the future that we can look forward to, other than him quitting ? What has Macron achieved? What has Trudeau achieved?
I do love satire
Jolly well done! ;)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
My figures read
UK DE
662 121 deaths per 100K
68M 83M population.
Thanks Danny. Could you send in a link to your source please? That's very clear information and I'd like to track that kind of stuff for myself. If you can.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One good source is https://ourworldindata.org
e.g.

They have lots of graphs on deaths and cases, with the data behind them, including useful 3 day and 7 day smoothed data, and a big choice of countries/regions.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks Danny. Could you send in a link to your source please? That's very clear information and I'd like to track that kind of stuff for myself. If you can.
The Covidworldometer web site they use the Hopkins University data set anf have what I believe is the most consistent set of data

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He cut taxes and made all the working and middle classes better off;
his administration borrows $4 trillions in less than 4 years.
that's nearly $13,000 per US citizen.
Trump borrows to give tax cuts.

Who is going to pay that back?

for your reference:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A chunk of the responsibility for that death toll belongs to the public. People have been acting like twats and not looking after themselves.
But that doesn't match the facts. I'll keep the emotive local case out of it and use another country as an example.

Italy as you will know was the first country in Europe to be very hard by it and were the first to have a national lockdown. The infection rate and deaths scared the Italians so much they were terrified into strict obedience to the lockdown rules, even going beyond what was necessary to comply and they've stayed that way.

Yet now they have been sliding very steeply into a new infection wave and the Italian government is stuck for what to do since their economy has been so terribly damaged it can't take any more, ruling out even harsher measures.

We've seen parallels here in Britain, areas who were praised for their response to the virus and its apparent success, now suffering infection rates hurtling skywards. The same has happened elsewhere in the world, those seemingly the most successful at first by obeying the rules suddenly suffering big setbacks with new infection waves.

Meanwhile, other areas like mine, justly criticised for not bothering with the rules and having very high rates early in the pandemic, are now often in the lowest infection positions despite still being as cavalier about the rules.

If you believe what officialdom and science are saying about Covid-19 these defy logic, but I don't believe them. What I do believe and have long been preaching is that this virulent disease is unavoidable since no precautions can cover all situations and short of an effective vaccine, we will all get it in the end.

What is happening so far and currently, backs that to the hilt. Those areas or individual communities who suffered a big hit early are benefitting now with lower rates, those who largely got away with it first time round are being hit hard now.

Although infection rates are often very high now, the death rate is very low in comparison so the choice that's always been open is still there. Take it on the chin and get it over with, or duck and dive with every avoidance possible until it finally catches up with you as it inevitably will if without a vaccine.

If you are in reasonably good health, take the first option for a more pleasant life, since you'll shrug it off. If in poor health and compromised, suffer the inconveniences of the second option and pray a vaccine will get to you before Covid-19 does.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
his administration borrows $4 trillions in less than 4 years.
that's nearly $13,000 per US citizen.
Trump borrows to give tax cuts.

Who is going to pay that back?

for your reference:
Just like the US, the UK has it's own national debt. More or less every year through my life, it's gone up. I can't remember ever paying anyone back. When do you think that will start? Will it be in my lifetime?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't remember ever paying anyone back. When do you think that will start? Will it be in my lifetime?
John Major had a couple of years in surplus. He didn't have to sell national assets and left Blair with a very good base.
Blair did not borrow much and spent money on improving public services.
Those two are definitely good house keepers.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
John Major had a couple of years in surplus. He didn't have to sell national assets and left Blair with a very good base.
Blair did not borrow much and spent money on improving public services.
Those two are definitely good house keepers.
I think you avoided the questions there, Tony.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think you avoided the questions there, Tony.
borrowing goes on, we accept that.
But borrowing to fund tax cut is immoral, especially to give bigger tax cuts to the rich.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Just like the US, the UK has it's own national debt. More or less every year through my life, it's gone up. I can't remember ever paying anyone back. When do you think that will start? Will it be in my lifetime?
It's become mainly from BoE, which can undermine central bank independence and trigger inflation. Thatcher type housing bubble collapse can most definitely happen again. Which will be fine by me, but will probably upset many traditional conservative voters.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Found this and thought it interesting:

Ten key facts everyone should know before discussing debt issues in the UK:

A quarter of UK government debt is owed to the UK government itself

2. Four-fifths of UK government debt is owed to people and institutions in the UK

3. Of G7 economies, only Germany has a lower government debt (as a proportion of GDP) than the UK

4. The UK government can currently borrow at the cheapest interest rates in its history

5. The UK government is paying virtually the lowest amount of interest on its debt in recorded history, as a proportion of GDP

6. UK government tax revenue (as a proportion of GDP) is the third lowest of G7 countries, and well behind other European countries

7. The debt of the UK’s private sector is more than four times as big as that of the government

8. Unsecured personal debt in the UK is rising rapidly

9. The UK economy has the largest deficit with the rest of the world of any rich country

10. The UK’s finance sector is the most exposed to a crisis of any G7 economy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our government owes about £500 billions to foreigners as of the beginning of this year.
Covid causes about £400 billions worth of damage to be added to this year's structural deficit.
You can see clearly that Cameron, May and Johnson are all at it.
This red curve is going to change drastically in a few months:

Advertisers