Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Since 2011 the price of copper has dropped around 30% ($4.50/lb to $3.20/lb).

It's obviously not in demand like it was.

This whole idea is totally counterintuitive - but the fact is as the price of something goes up - we tend to be able to find more of the stuff - not just extract it better.

Copper though is an example of this in the other direction - the price is dropping - which indicates it is not so scarce right now.
For many reasons, much copper is recycled which keeps any requirement for "new" copper down.

I think I remember that things like reduced water pipe thickness meant less demand for copper than would otherwise have been the case - even ignoring the poly-whatever pipes.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and OxygenJames

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Where's vfr? - I haven't had my daily dose of conspiracy theories.

I need to know I am being manipulated by forces beyond my control.
I was still in my bed this morning and hadn't floated to the ceiling. Therefore I have proof I am being manipulated by the mysterious force of gravity.

Magnetism hasn't affected me yet - but I can see it working on lots of things round me.

• :D
Reactions: Nev and OxygenJames

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hey - vfr - I found a great article all about your 'Great Reset' conspiracy theory. Saying it's a load of ******* (no surprises there then).

That great scholar Gareth Icke (son of David) thinks it's true (as well as Russia Today) - so you're standing with some quality people here huh?

You don't need to read it of course because I know you don't care about opinions if they don't agree with your own - and it's more than one paragraph long so it must be false anyway.

But for everybody else - here it is:

"The Great Reset is the latest conspiracy fantasy – it will not be the last

The Great Reset is the latest conspiracy fantasy – it will not be the last

If you were running a shady cabal dedicated to controlling the world, it’s unlikely you’d advertise it on a website.

But perhaps that’s just me: according to a loose assemblage of anti-vaccine campaigners and conspiracy theorists, and given a platform by Russian state propaganda, that’s exactly what’s happening.

Their strain of thinking alleges that the global pandemic is a ruse to mould society to a set of restrictions and goals, and that the plan was hatched long before a novel coronavirus (supposing it exists at all) emerged in Wuhan.

The agents of this conspiracy may surprise you: they are the World Economic Forum (WEF), based in Switzerland.

The WEF is a global NGO established nearly 50 years ago by Klaus Schwab, a business academic, who chairs the organisation. The 1970s were an era when Western society appeared to some critics to be ungovernable, buffeted by oil price shocks, high inflation, trade union militancy and Soviet aggression. It made a sort of sense for global decision makers to meet outside the normal avenues of diplomacy to discuss these pathologies and problems.

The WEF has since become synonymous with its annual meetings in Davos in Switzerland, which are often mocked for conspicuous consumption. These summits do no harm and sometimes, merely by putting people together to discuss issues (such as climate change and vaccination) that can only be resolved by coordinated policy, have a modest benefit.

Or so you’d think. The WEF issued a call in May, gaining the support of Prince Charles, for a summit of world leaders to discuss the twin challenges of climate change and economic recovery from the global pandemic. It did so under the label of the Great Reset.

The noun phrase is an essentially empty slogan that anyone can interpret to their taste, but it conveys the essential message that the world was unprepared for the current crisis and needs to become more resilient to external shocks. In a broadcast this week, it was used by Justin Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister, as a call for action.

And then it took off. To those who see global policymakers as malign and scheming rather than basically well-intentioned, it was a sign that the whole experience of lockdown had been long planned. The propaganda apparatus of the Putin regime has for many months published wild allegations from obscure bloggers that the Great Reset is code for oligarchs to amass wealth and control populations.

As one of them wrote last month for Russia Today: “The production and supply of goods will be coordinated by a central directorate, led not by elected representatives (whose roles, where they exist, will be nominal anyway) but by technocrat factotums.”

There is, of course, no evidence whatever for any of this, but watch how the Great Reset is suddenly gaining traction in the discourse of paranoia.

Gareth Icke, son of the notorious conspiracy theorist David Icke, posted an article yesterday setting out the purported elements of the Great Reset, “which is a global agenda to monitor and control the world through global surveillance. You’ll be tied to it through an electronic ID linked to your bank account and health records and a social credit ID that will end up dictating every facet of your life.”

This farrago of nonsense may be risible, but it’s not funny. The alleged conspiracy mounted by the WEF is a new manifestation of a hoary fantasy. Ever since the French Revolution, political reactionaries have imagined that secret societies – historically, the Illuminati or the Freemasons – are the hidden hand behind world events. In the modern era, this prejudice has been transferred to innocuous and well-meaning NGOs, such as the Council on Foreign Relations, which – by having internationalist ideals – are automatically suspected of having nefarious goals.

The historian Richard Hofstadter identified this strain of thinking in American public life in a classic essay titled ‘The Paranoid Style in American Politics’ in 1964. He showed that the fevered allegations of McCarthyism, which were then a recent aberration in US politics, had a historical lineage. American society, he said, “has served again and again as an arena for uncommonly angry minds”.

In the digital age, a global platform for such movements exists, and it does real harm. Icke himself was banned from Twitter this month – belatedly and correctly – for spreading disinformation concerning the coronavirus, and remedial measures against it, that is a direct threat to public health.

Imagining that world events are the outcome of conspiratorial plotting is not just a factual error; it has catastrophic consequences. In his new book The Hitler Conspiracies: The Third Reich and the Paranoid Imagination, the historian Sir Richard Evans discusses the infamous fabrication The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, and observes that “few people [in Nazi Germany] could have made sense of its contents, and what it needed in any case was for the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century conspiratorial fantasies it contained to be transcribed into terms that were relevant to a twentieth-century readership”.

Making conspiracy theories relevant to today’s events is what fringe figures on the far-right and far-left are doing, amplified by the propaganda organs of despotic states. The Great Reset is the latest fantasy. It will not be the last.

By Oliver Kamm @OliverKamm at CapX

Click here to subscribe to our daily briefing – the best pieces from CapX and across the web.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Looks like it's just you and me Oyster. This is about the sanest this list has been for a long long time.

It won't last of course but enjoy the moment I say.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Does Trump have any critical faculties? That is, can he make any assessments of the "information" swirling round him?

Conservative media, Trump fooled by parody account of his sister
So-called 'Betty Trump' is homophobic, transphobic, foul-mouthed and drinks Natty Daddy.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/trump-fooled-sister-parody-twitter/

But bizarre that this account's reveal says "stand with you and love you Mr President".

Reactions: Wicky

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Social media giants have such control!

Twitter says it’s handing @POTUS account over to Joe Biden on Inauguration Day

Twitter announced it will hand the @POTUS account over to President-elect Biden on Inauguration Day — even if President Trump refuses to concede.

“Twitter is actively preparing to support the transition of White House institutional Twitter accounts on Jan. 20, 2021,” a Twitter spokesman told The Post on Friday.

“As we did for the presidential transition in 2017, this process is being done in close consultation with the National Archives and Records Administration,” the spokesman added.

Other government accounts such as @VP, @FLOTUS, @whitehouse will also be handed over to the Biden administration.

The existing tweets from the Trump administration will be archived by the NARA.
https://nypost.com/2020/11/20/twitter-to-transfer-potus-account-to-joe-biden-on-inauguration-day/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh has a bit of a victim mentality going on - ie the victim is always right and whoever they blame for their woes (the bad guy) is always wrong.

Rather than seeing that a vast number of so-called 'victims' bring it upon themselves by their own behaviour and attitude.

Where I worked I had a manager who was a brilliant guy - but he would not tolerate fools - it was always the fools who claimed to have been bullied by him.
In my late 20s, I was taken to the employment tribunal for unfair dismissal by one employee. The case was quickly resolved with me accepting being in the wrong. The experience taught me a good lesson.
You cannot shout at an employee in the presence of another person. It is undermining the employee, he can quit and sue you. It's as simple as that.
PP did not have to worry about industrial/employment tribunals, that's why she didn't think.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yesterday's "apology" from PP was worded precisely as it shouldn't have been. "I'm sorry if ..."

There simply is no justification for making the apology conditional. It is clear that had no-one felt bullied there would have been no complaint.

Did she go through the apology with someone to get it right before delivering in public?

If so, not only she but whoever went through it with her got it very wrong.

PS Isn't avoiding conditional apologies something that is drummed into primary school children?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hey - vfr - I found a great article all about your 'Great Reset' conspiracy theory. Saying it's a load of ******* (no surprises there then).

That great scholar Gareth Icke (son of David) thinks it's true (as well as Russia Today) - so you're standing with some quality people here huh?

You don't need to read it of course because I know you don't care about opinions if they don't agree with your own - and it's more than one paragraph long so it must be false anyway.

But for everybody else - here it is:

"The Great Reset is the latest conspiracy fantasy – it will not be the last

The Great Reset is the latest conspiracy fantasy – it will not be the last

If you were running a shady cabal dedicated to controlling the world, it’s unlikely you’d advertise it on a website.

But perhaps that’s just me: according to a loose assemblage of anti-vaccine campaigners and conspiracy theorists, and given a platform by Russian state propaganda, that’s exactly what’s happening.

Their strain of thinking alleges that the global pandemic is a ruse to mould society to a set of restrictions and goals, and that the plan was hatched long before a novel coronavirus (supposing it exists at all) emerged in Wuhan.

The agents of this conspiracy may surprise you: they are the World Economic Forum (WEF), based in Switzerland.

The WEF is a global NGO established nearly 50 years ago by Klaus Schwab, a business academic, who chairs the organisation. The 1970s were an era when Western society appeared to some critics to be ungovernable, buffeted by oil price shocks, high inflation, trade union militancy and Soviet aggression. It made a sort of sense for global decision makers to meet outside the normal avenues of diplomacy to discuss these pathologies and problems.

The WEF has since become synonymous with its annual meetings in Davos in Switzerland, which are often mocked for conspicuous consumption. These summits do no harm and sometimes, merely by putting people together to discuss issues (such as climate change and vaccination) that can only be resolved by coordinated policy, have a modest benefit.

Or so you’d think. The WEF issued a call in May, gaining the support of Prince Charles, for a summit of world leaders to discuss the twin challenges of climate change and economic recovery from the global pandemic. It did so under the label of the Great Reset.

The noun phrase is an essentially empty slogan that anyone can interpret to their taste, but it conveys the essential message that the world was unprepared for the current crisis and needs to become more resilient to external shocks. In a broadcast this week, it was used by Justin Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister, as a call for action.

And then it took off. To those who see global policymakers as malign and scheming rather than basically well-intentioned, it was a sign that the whole experience of lockdown had been long planned. The propaganda apparatus of the Putin regime has for many months published wild allegations from obscure bloggers that the Great Reset is code for oligarchs to amass wealth and control populations.

As one of them wrote last month for Russia Today: “The production and supply of goods will be coordinated by a central directorate, led not by elected representatives (whose roles, where they exist, will be nominal anyway) but by technocrat factotums.”

There is, of course, no evidence whatever for any of this, but watch how the Great Reset is suddenly gaining traction in the discourse of paranoia.

Gareth Icke, son of the notorious conspiracy theorist David Icke, posted an article yesterday setting out the purported elements of the Great Reset, “which is a global agenda to monitor and control the world through global surveillance. You’ll be tied to it through an electronic ID linked to your bank account and health records and a social credit ID that will end up dictating every facet of your life.”

This farrago of nonsense may be risible, but it’s not funny. The alleged conspiracy mounted by the WEF is a new manifestation of a hoary fantasy. Ever since the French Revolution, political reactionaries have imagined that secret societies – historically, the Illuminati or the Freemasons – are the hidden hand behind world events. In the modern era, this prejudice has been transferred to innocuous and well-meaning NGOs, such as the Council on Foreign Relations, which – by having internationalist ideals – are automatically suspected of having nefarious goals.

The historian Richard Hofstadter identified this strain of thinking in American public life in a classic essay titled ‘The Paranoid Style in American Politics’ in 1964. He showed that the fevered allegations of McCarthyism, which were then a recent aberration in US politics, had a historical lineage. American society, he said, “has served again and again as an arena for uncommonly angry minds”.

In the digital age, a global platform for such movements exists, and it does real harm. Icke himself was banned from Twitter this month – belatedly and correctly – for spreading disinformation concerning the coronavirus, and remedial measures against it, that is a direct threat to public health.

Imagining that world events are the outcome of conspiratorial plotting is not just a factual error; it has catastrophic consequences. In his new book The Hitler Conspiracies: The Third Reich and the Paranoid Imagination, the historian Sir Richard Evans discusses the infamous fabrication The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, and observes that “few people [in Nazi Germany] could have made sense of its contents, and what it needed in any case was for the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century conspiratorial fantasies it contained to be transcribed into terms that were relevant to a twentieth-century readership”.

Making conspiracy theories relevant to today’s events is what fringe figures on the far-right and far-left are doing, amplified by the propaganda organs of despotic states. The Great Reset is the latest fantasy. It will not be the last.

By Oliver Kamm @OliverKamm at CapX

Click here to subscribe to our daily briefing – the best pieces from CapX and across the web.
I think all those who promote conspiracy theories are out to get me. :)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson really impresses Ken Clarke:

Ken Clarke joins criticism of Boris Johnson's refusal to sack Priti Patel
Ex-home secretary says he is particularly concerned by resignation of PM’s ethics adviser over issue
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/21/ken-clarke-joins-criticism-of-boris-johnsons-refusal-to-sack-priti-patel

The article includes:
Some Conservatives rallied around Johnson and Patel on Saturday, however, with the Berwick-upon-Tweed MP Anne-Marie Trevelyan saying that it was the responsibility of junior staff members to complain or ask the home secretary to change her behaviour.​

Blame the bullied. That sounds right. Can't you just see some junior saying: Please Home Secretary, would you please, very kindly, stop swearing and shouting at me.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I've worked in plenty of big firms - and found most of the managers who were called 'bullies' were called bullies by people who were weak and largely incompetent.
I’ve seen several cases that have been claimed to be bullying. I’d say 80% of the claimed bullying was due to the “victim” not being very good at their job and the manager attempting to develop the “Victim” in a professional and appropriate manner. The other 20% I thought was real bullying and was due to the manager being of low intelligence, totally inept and blaming everyone around him for his own failures. I suspect, but don’t know, that Fat-Arse falls into the latter category.

Fat-Arse comes across as being very stupid with a forced plumby accent that often slips when she’s speakin’. That and a person suddenly starting to write with a fountain pen immediately upon promotion are very dangerous signs. I kid you not, I’ve seen it so many times and it’s essential to get some shite on the person and destroy them ASAP.

The way Fat-Arse behaves & speaks, the report findings from a credible man, and now we learn that Boris Johnson interfered with the enquiry and ask for the report to be toned down, to me, these things point to Fat-Arse being guilty of bullying.

Boris Johnson is so flawed, so compromised and has such a well established reputation for dishonesty, he could not sack her if he wanted to. I find it all quite funny.

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
In my late 20s, I was taken to the employment tribunal for unfair dismissal by one employee. The case was quickly resolved with me accepting being in the wrong. The experience taught me a good lesson.
You cannot shout at an employee in the presence of another person. It is undermining the employee, he can quit and sue you. It's as simple as that.
PP did not have to worry about industrial/employment tribunals, that's why she didn't think.
I'd like to hear the average football coach/manager on this topic.

Imagine managing a football team and it was against the law to shout at the team!

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hey. Who knows. Maybe you weren't 'wrong'. Maybe shouting was just the vehicle to get the point over in the least time. I don't know. Sometimes shouting is a perfectly good way to communicate to somebody. Some people it's the only way to get a message through to them. I don't know in your case. Just putting it out there.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I’ve seen several cases that have been claimed to be bullying. I’d say 80% of the claimed bullying was due to the “victim” not being very good at their job and the manager attempting to develop the “Victim” in a professional and appropriate manner. The other 20% I thought was real bullying and was due to the manager being of low intelligence, totally inept and blaming everyone around him for his own failures. I suspect, but don’t know, that Fat-Arse falls into the latter category.

Fat-Arse comes across as being very stupid with a forced plumby accent that often slips when she’s speakin’. That and a person suddenly starting to write with a fountain pen immediately upon promotion are very dangerous signs. I kid you not, I’ve seen it so many times and it’s essential to get some shite on the person and destroy them ASAP.

The way Fat-Arse behaves & speaks, the report findings from a credible man, and now we learn that Boris Johnson interfered with the enquiry and ask for the report to be toned down, to me, these things point to Fat-Arse being guilty of bullying.

Boris Johnson is so flawed, so compromised and has such a well established reputation for dishonesty, he could not sack her if he wanted to. I find it all quite funny.
Well I guess we're all entitled to our opinion.

She is also an excellent debater - in the house she's superbly accurate when debating Labour on a variety of issues.

Again - we're all entitled to our opinion eh Barry?

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Why call her 'fat-arse' though? So rude. What school did you go to - we were taught never to pick on somebody just because of their physical appearance.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I've worked in plenty of big firms - and found most of the managers who were called 'bullies' were called bullies by people who were weak and largely incompetent.
Hope you haven't any elderly relatives in a care home where bullying takes place...

Thankfully I rarely saw bullying in care settings I've worked in - worse was the owner of a home for people with learning difficulties who routinely bullied clients, smashing up their rooms as reprisals for their behaviour to 'teach them a lesson', and even throwing chairs at staff. Soon left that place and wrote a long whistle-blowing letter to Social Services.

Even General George Patton in WW2 was sidelined for a while as a result of his bullying. The slapping incidents had only further confirmed to Eisenhower that Patton lacked the ability to exercise discipline and self-control at such a command level. Much the same applies to Patel.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Advertisers