Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Incidentally the Oxford vaccine is mainly Irish the head of the Jenner, and the architect of this vaccine is a Dubliner ,and also some of the rest of the key staff in Prof Hills team.
I prefer the view that the vaccine(s) are a triumph for the endeavours of the whole of the global scientific community. What has been achieved in such a short period of time is remarkable. If ever there was a combined human effort this is it.

To single out one person and thereby claim that the vaccine is Irish is immature, but alas the source of such an outrageous claim is entirely predictable. The only thing that I am surprised about is that you did not claim to have created a vaccine single handed yourself.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
. If ever there was a combined human effort this is it.
it seems to me that the competition to bring out the vaccines is at least curious.
There are about 400 vaccines in the running, a dozen have already reached the goalpost, many more to follow. The Moderna vaccine was prepared just 2 days after the Chinese authorities published the virus's genome and hole in one, their vaccine is 95% efficacious, a world record from a company not known for making drugs.
I wonder if vfr knows where they got the recipe from.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
it seems to me that the competition to bring out the vaccines is at least curious.
There are about 400 vaccines in the running, a dozen have already reached the goalpost, many more to follow. The Moderna vaccine was prepared just 2 days after the Chinese authorities published the virus's genome.
Nigella?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Do they serves drinks in chalices?

Transformed by the holy spirit? The bar pretending to be a church to beat Covid rules
A tequila bar in Nottingham has plans to get around tier 3 by registering itself as the Church of 400 Rabbits and claiming it is a place of worship. It’s not the only establishment trying to find loopholes
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/transformed-by-the-holy-spirit-the-bar-pretending-to-be-a-church-to-beat-covid-rules
I believe I may have mentioned it once before on here but many years ago there was a shop not too far from where I was living that sold men's clothes. Sunday trading laws in full swing back then prevented the store from opening up so to get round it they started selling Heinz beans for £50 a tin and threw in a "free" pair of Levis jeans .. the local council soon nipped that in the bud :(

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
There are about 400 vaccines in the running, a dozen have already reached the goalpost, many more to follow. The Moderna vaccine was prepared just 2 days after the Chinese authorities published the virus's genome and hole in one, their vaccine is 95% efficacious, a world record from a company not known for making drugs.
I'm not surprised China was ahead of the vaccine game. Those dirty little fuckers created the disease in the first place.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Moderna vaccine was prepared just 2 days after the Chinese authorities published the virus's genome and hole in one
I found this from July

"As the virus spread in January and February, about 100 employees at Moderna, about one-tenth of the company's workforce, worked around-the-clock to develop a coronavirus vaccine. ...

Moderna shipped the first batches of a vaccine to the NIH on February 24, just 42 days after it received the virus' genetic sequence. It will take at least 12 to 18 months to know if Moderna's vaccine — or any others — is safe and effective, though Moderna is working to compress that timeline as much as it can."

"The first clinical batch of mRNA-1273 was completed, a total of 25 days from sequence selection to vaccine manufacture. The batch then proceeded to analytical testing for release."

How was mRNA-1273 able to move so quickly?

mRNA is an information molecule and we design our mRNA vaccines using the sequence of the virus, not by working on the virus itself. Our mRNA platform provides significant advantages in speed and efficiency, across basic science, manufacturing, and clinical development.

Moderna currently has 9 development candidates in its prophylactic vaccines modality. To date, Moderna has demonstrated positive Phase 1 data readouts for 6 prophylactic vaccines (H10N8, H7N9, RSV, chikungunya virus, hMPV/PIV3 and CMV).

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'd not trust Trump in any way, about anything, so even if Biden is not going to roll over and give us a generous deal, this might end up being understandable and possibly even good news.

Britain’s hopes of securing an early trade deal with the US have been dashed by a warning from Joe Biden, the president-elect, that America will not sign a trade deal with anyone until the US has sorted out its competitiveness.

Britain had been closing in on a trade deal with the administration of Donald Trump, a fierce opponent of the European Union, but Biden has said in a New York Times interview that his priorities will be to improve investment in US manufacturing and the protection of American workers.

“I’m not going to enter any new trade agreement with anybody until we have made major investments here at home and in our workers and in education,” he said.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I prefer the view that the vaccine(s) are a triumph for the endeavours of the whole of the global scientific community. What has been achieved in such a short period of time is remarkable. If ever there was a combined human effort this is it.

To single out one person and thereby claim that the vaccine is Irish is immature, but alas the source of such an outrageous claim is entirely predictable. The only thing that I am surprised about is that you did not claim to have created a vaccine single handed yourself.
Naaa!. I am not A Biologist. But. It might be instructive to actually read his Bio... .
The creation of the vaccines is a monumental achievement. And it is very much a case of sitting on the shoulders of giants.. Without Crick and Watson , there would not have been any basis, without the electronics industry there would not have been the IT for sequencing, without the millennium genome project ..and without the 47 million from the UK state, the Jenner would not have been able to develop it.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Many years ago, I remember the Duke of Edinburgh examining a ropey looking electrical distribution board and saying, “this looks like it was wired up by an Indian.”

Today I’ve had a new electric roller shutter garage door fitted. Two Indians turned up to do the work. Now I know exactly what the D of E meant. I’ve at least a days labour reworking what they’ve done to an acceptable level.

Their standard of workmanship is actually comical. Thankfully they’ve not damage the door and all the heavy lifting had been done. It’s easier to do the work myself than to produce a snag list and risk the same pair rolling up again. Shocking.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I’m not convinced about the UK‘s plans to fast track the banning of gas boilers in favour of heat pumps. I can’t see it happening within the proposed time scale. I think this is yet another over promise which will result in under delivery.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I believe that China and Russia have been using a COVID-19 vaccine for some time. Very little is published regarding how it’s working. Do they have the COVID free return to normality that Johnson is promising us?

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Mrs Beeton's of course... :cool:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I believe that China and Russia have been using a COVID-19 vaccine for some time. Very little is published regarding how it’s working. Do they have the COVID free return to normality that Johnson is promising us?
It was only yesterday, or the day before, that Putin launched their major vaccination campaign. Or announced it - which might be somewhat different.

Pure guesswork - they might have had some but not in the volume required for countrywide use. Probably health sector and military use initially. And political bods, of course.

Reactions: POLLY

Advertisers