Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I know you were an early mask wearer, as was I. Right from the start, it was pretty clear that the virus was airborne, but for some reason it took an age for anyone to admit that fact. I can only think they were feeding lives to the virus in order to protect PPE supplies. I find it hard to believe that no one twigged that a mask helps. Surely they aren’t that stupid?

I generally take my lead from the HoC these days. By that I mean MPs have not returned, which tells me that infection levels are still so high that it makes it too risky to be indoors with people outside of your household. I knew that anyway.

I’ll probably go for the vaccine after the HoC has returned to normal business. Once that happens, it will be a good indication that MPs and the Cabinet have been vaccinated, it’s working and they aren’t aware of any adverse side affects which they’ve deliberately not disclosed to the public. It would be good leadership for all of the MPs, the senior leading medical figures, the Jockey & Bingo to go first.
Barry ,you might see it as semantics, but the CV19 virus infection is not usually airborne. .. Fortunately for us all that that is so. Had it been so, it would have have been pandemic global within a week of Wuhan. The first flight from Wuhan would have triggered it globally. The mode of transmission is by proximity, and intimate contact , including near field transmission of droplets. Now it can be aerosolised ..which was an unfortunate side effect of intubation and forced ventilation and caused greater death rates amongst ICU staff.
Masks always worked, even shoddy ones made from a cut pair of socks, and it is a real shame that these simple methods were not used immediately.
The rest of your post I agree

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Stinks to the very end:

(CNN)The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court.

The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.

The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation.
On an allied theme, CNN reports that the post election fund raising by Trump has raised 170 Million dollars to date.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
On an allied theme, CNN reports that the post election fund raising by Trump has raised 170 Million dollars to date.
If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I know you were an early mask wearer, as was I. Right from the start, it was pretty clear that the virus was airborne, but for some reason it took an age for anyone to admit that fact. I can only think they were feeding lives to the virus in order to protect PPE supplies. I find it hard to believe that no one twigged that a mask helps. Surely they aren’t that stupid?

I generally take my lead from the HoC these days. By that I mean MPs have not returned, which tells me that infection levels are still so high that it makes it too risky to be indoors with people outside of your household. I knew that anyway.

I’ll probably go for the vaccine after the HoC has returned to normal business. Once that happens, it will be a good indication that MPs and the Cabinet have been vaccinated, it’s working and they aren’t aware of any adverse side affects which they’ve deliberately not disclosed to the public. It would be good leadership for all of the MPs, the senior leading medical figures, the Jockey & Bingo to go first.
I'm expecting a run on bananas when the vaccine get's into full swing, it's derived from monkey's then genetically modified. Just to be clear the vaccine does not alter your DNA as has been suggested.

Reactions: POLLY

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Good grief, I’ve just seen a news report of fist fights taking place inside Debenhams as punters compete for perceived bargains at Phillip Green’s bankrupt in store concession outlets.

I’ve had enough, @wheeler, will you adopt me north of the border? I promise I’ll wear a skirt and all the trimmings.:D

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Why do they keep saying on every news bulletin that, “the vaccine is safe and no corners have been cut”?

What is the alternative position? The vaccine is unsafe and we have cut corners in its development? Why is it necessary to keep on saying that this is not the case?

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think he's been watching far too much Masterchef. Instead of cauliflower three ways, we are getting:

Hancock says vaccines will be delivered in three different ways: in hospitals, in vaccination centres and in the community.

Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Barry ,you might see it as semantics, but the CV19 virus infection is not usually airborne. .. Fortunately for us all that that is so. Had it been so, it would have have been pandemic global within a week of Wuhan. The first flight from Wuhan would have triggered it globally. The mode of transmission is by proximity, and intimate contact , including near field transmission of droplets. Now it can be aerosolised ..which was an unfortunate side effect of intubation and forced ventilation and caused greater death rates amongst ICU staff.
Masks always worked, even shoddy ones made from a cut pair of socks, and it is a real shame that these simple methods were not used immediately.
The rest of your post I agree
I still think there is a degree of airborne transmission. Infection seems to occur just by being in the proximity of an infected person in an environment offering poor ventilation. No requirement to touch surfaces or to be sneezed on seems to be necessary. There are reports of medical workers becoming infected by regularly walking along a corridor close to a Covid ward, but not actually going onto the ward. I think more will be revealed in the coming months.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are reports of medical workers becoming infected by regularly walking along a corridor close to a Covid ward, but not actually going onto the ward.
Many hospitals have powered ventilation systems though so that can still be breathed out micro-droplet transmission of the virus. I'm sure we've all felt the draught of an air conditioning system from time to time.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Why do they keep saying on every news bulletin that, “the vaccine is safe and no corners have been cut”?

What is the alternative position? The vaccine is unsafe and we have cut corners in its development? Why is it necessary to keep on saying that this is not the case?
The EU position is that they are scheduled for release by end of December .. by which time we will have maybe another 300,000 UK Guinea pigs tested for short term effects. Assuming that there is no adverse effects from the Oxford vaccine ..it will be a first win for Brexit. So sincere congratulations.
Incidentally the Oxford vaccine is mainly Irish the head of the Jenner, and the architect of this vaccine is a Dubliner ,and also some of the rest of the key staff in Prof Hills team.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Oh ye of little faith
(But considerable experience)
Remember by tongue in cheek comments about developing a vaccine that either cures you or kills you off if it can't? :D
Seriously the situation is that the vaccine is being released under EU rules that exist till January, no Brexit bonus there.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just learnt yesterday that garages are banned from using their car wash. I didn't know car wash machines can catch Covid-19 !

Seems especially unfair on my local one since that is a totally enclosed one, shutters coming down each end after driving in so no water is propelled outside.

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yep!. This is where being out of step hurts. Ireland has dropped down to Level 3 light on 1st December from our current Level 5 heavy . Restaurants open tomorrow... . But Northern Ireland is now on heavy lockdown or circuit breaker mode. So we can now expect car loads of thirsty covid ridden ????? ,from one of the worst affected zones in the UK, for the weekend

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

No corners have been cut, Moderna took two days to design their vaccine.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-11-30-20-intl/h_e33ae1918c88b1167f7f858cd728ae10

Then sell it for $35 a pop (30 micrograms).

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019

NLP

Advertisers