Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Explaining time dilation to disinterested students years later only added to the mystery.
(I should add trying to explain, it's inexplicable)
the main difficulty in explaining this phenomenon is because often people don't remember that time dilation is directional, so all they remember is silly apparent padadoxes like one of the two twins decides to take a flight at near speed of light and comes back in 20 years, which one will look older? rather than sticking to basic geometry of how light moves as seen by each observer.
GPS relativistic time correction is a good example to get people to understand time dilation.

• :D
Reactions: oyster and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interesting, I'll be over Tesco's in a few hours time so I'll report back. I'll be going alone so no problem there, I always wear gloves so sanitizer not needed. Queuing is unlikely as my local store is bigger than a footie pitch although they do count you in & out to keep to a set number of shoppers.
I never queue anyway, I just tell them at the door I'm from Special Branch and they think that means head office so in I'll stroll. I'll also get a 15% discount too because I'm a crafty old fox that knows every trick in the book ;)
A little more now we are back.

They fitted green/red lights a few weeks back - never seen them red. Today, two "security" people. And a queue. Which is fun in the wind and rain.

Everyone being told to use hand sanitiser - probably including those who wear gloves. Before that point I had returned to car.

Our shop is huge - probably wanted space for simultaneous football and rugby. :) Inside, fairly empty. No problem with tills at all.

The trip back takes us past Morrisons - who had tightened up the other day. No idea about the others.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tory Proverb time

Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day.
But give him one eighth of a fish, and you can keep the rest of the fish yourself.

- Ancient Tory Proverb

Presumably the inspiration for the School Meals :cool:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
A little more now we are back.

They fitted green/red lights a few weeks back - never seen them red. Today, two "security" people. And a queue. Which is fun in the wind and rain.

Everyone being told to use hand sanitiser - probably including those who wear gloves. Before that point I had returned to car.

Our shop is huge - probably wanted space for simultaneous football and rugby. :) Inside, fairly empty. No problem with tills at all.

The trip back takes us past Morrisons - who had tightened up the other day. No idea about the others.
If they hand me a bottle of sanitizer at the door I'll take it and tell them I'll keep it for later. I've seen those traffic lights set up but nobody takes any notice of them anyway round here.
Generally in my area on the coast it's business as usual, people walk around like they always did and a local school is sort of half open for some kids. Just about every shop is open because owners have twigged how to get round restrictions and there's a large retail park close to me where everything there is as normal.
When I go over Tesco's in a while I'll bet 1 in 5 wont be wearing a mask and they wont get pulled up about it either, they never do. I have noticed that ethnic minority groups, Black Asians etc rarely wear masks and I'd guess staff are reluctant to intervene the way things are these days. People are now fatigued by the whole covid thing I'm finding and just want to get on with it.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Was the 20 years according to the flying twin or the one who remains here? :)

And did you see that the DNA of twins differs by more than had previously been realised?
No good came of physics post Newton.
Newtonian gave us Spitfires, Merlin Engines, motor bikes,steam engines and windsurfing.
Between Einstein and Bolean algebra giving us atom bombs, computers and twitter, is that progress. Success would have been time travel and limit less free energy by now. Modern science... Big failure..
Pasteur and Jenner would have got this covid vaccine without knowing about time dilatation.
About all Quantum physics has given us is capability of USAF to put a bomb down our chip shop chimney without them leaving Kansas. Has that bloody great big round magnet in Switzerland actually paid for itself yet.
Newton had it right. Physics should have said we know enough now and shut up shop in about 1938.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
If they hand me a bottle of sanitizer at the door I'll take it and tell them I'll keep it for later. I've seen those traffic lights set up but nobody takes any notice of them anyway round here.
Generally in my area on the coast it's business as usual, people walk around like they always did and a local school is sort of half open for some kids. Just about every shop is open because owners have twigged how to get round restrictions and there's a large retail park close to me where everything there is as normal.
When I go over Tesco's in a while I'll bet 1 in 5 wont be wearing a mask and they wont get pulled up about it either, they never do. I have noticed that ethnic minority groups, Black Asians etc rarely wear masks and I'd guess staff are reluctant to intervene the way things are these days. People are now fatigued by the whole covid thing I'm finding and just want to get on with it.
I’m not sure that it’s fair to ask staff to enforce mask wearing in supermarkets. People can be aggressive when approached. This is where the police should be deployed. We are told that a supermarket is a setting where high rates of virus transmission occurs, so police intervention could make a difference here. Sadly, they seem to direct their efforts towards chasing people in the countryside. Perhaps this is because people out walking are likely to be more compliant than an aggressive anti-masker inside a supermarket. Police doing easy again.

I’ve noticed that the BLAME community around here rarely wear a face covering and tend to cluster in larger groups, but that could be because they have a large number in their households.

Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We definitely need the second shots on time
Initial data from Israel’s vaccination campaign shows that Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine curbs infections by some 50 percent 14 days after the first of two shots is administered,
Are you reversing the direction of the arrow of time?

Albert Einstein (/ˈaɪnstaɪn/ EYEN-styne;[4] 14 March 1879 – 18 April 1955)
George Boole (/buːl/; 2 November 1815 – 8 December 1864)
See! it's started already!.................. o_O

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
it does not matter whose clock, the main thing is the one who flew out and back will be affected by gravity and time dilation, and remain younger.

by 1938, quantum theory has been well developed.

On a practical level without relativistic clock correction, GPS wouldn't work.
The position given by your GPS would drift 2km a day.

https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/Relativistic_Clock_Correction

Magnetism is also a relativistic effect. Without it, no electric motor.
Yep, I realise that (GPS) hence USAF being able to hit chip shop chimney..
With regards emotor, we didn't need to understand that magnetism being a relativistic force to build a starter motor for a Spitfire.
And yes, Einstein had, more or less arrived at most of his understandings around relativity by 1938 but the science world were very sceptical. Took quite a while and many experiments through 50s and well into to 60s for his theories to be accepted on a large scale. He was viewed by many as an eccentric with outlandish theories.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yep, I realise that (GPS) hence USAF being able to hit chip shop chimney..
With regards emotor, we didn't need to understand that magnetism being a relativistic force to build a starter motor for a Spitfire.
And yes, Einstein had, more or less arrived at most of his understandings around relativity by 1938 but the science world were very sceptical. Took quite a while and many experiments through 50s and well into to 60s for his theories to be accepted on a large scale. He was viewed by many as an eccentric with outlandish theories.
That last sentence is true for many of us!

Reactions: Zlatan

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
We definitely need the second shots on time
Initial data from Israel’s vaccination campaign shows that Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine curbs infections by some 50 percent 14 days after the first of two shots is administered,

See! it's started already!.................. o_O
I agree, the second dose should be admitted as per the manufacturer’s guidelines. However, I believe there is a massive reduction in the need for hospitalisation after just one dose.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The virus is now demanding payment for Christmas. It’s charged 1564 lives today and it’s still adding on interest. No option to switch this debt to interest free plastic.

I wonder if the families of the dead think the price of a “normal Christmas “ was worth it?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
it's peaked today - won't be so bad next week.
Let's hope so. Infections have certainly dropped (last 3 days all under 50k) and hospital admissions have levelled..

Reading other day that as average age of ICU patient is 62 its going to take a long time for those to ve brought down.. Folk are spending an average of 3 weeks in there.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I wouldn’t bet on it. Christmas Day infection deaths are just starting to kick in. A lot of people had a cheeky couple of extra days tagged on too (it won’t hurt), so that needs paying for. The New Year account will be due for settlement in about 10 days time as well.

It’s a grim outlook for a few weeks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My normal source certainly shows it has peaked, even with 7 day smoothing.

It also shows quite a few similar looking peaks that turned out just to be local maxima. Obviously deaths will follow behind, so even if the peak in cases is real, deaths (and as Zlatan says ICU cases) are not peaked yet.

Very much fingers crossed time ...

Advertisers