Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I remember reading a SF book many years ago (can't remember the title or much of the details) but what I do remember was that earth could no longer put satellites into space because of all the space junk up there. I think Elon Musk has plans to put hundreds (perhaps thousands) of mini satellites up there, several other companies are planning the same thing.

There is a base somewhere in the USA that tracks all the various stuff in orbit around us and warns satellite operators when there is likely to be a collision. The thing is they can only track items over a certain size, so the more stuff that's put up there the more chance of collisions and if there is a collision, hundreds or thousands of new dangerous items are created. The amount of items they keep a check on is increasing as a phenomenal rate.

Many people don't realise that a fleck of paint traveling at orbital speed can do as much or more damage as a bullet from a gun. I don't know how many years it will take, but if we carry on at our current rate of putting things into space then the chances of what I read in that SF book all those years ago coming to pass are extremely likely.
I’ve heard this too. Fortunately, most of it is traveling in the same direction at similar velocity. But as you say, there is a lot of energy in an orbital object and under certain circumstances it can prove catastrophic. There’s a lot of room for separation up there.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Just heard a mentally ill lady on the radio saying that 20 million people in the U.K. are in poverty and require extra benefits. 1 in 3 people? I don’t think so, how do these idiots find there way onto the wireless?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
one jab is better than none but there is a danger that people may be lulled into false sense of security. On the face of it: the AZ vaccine offers already less protection than the Pfizer vaccine, one dose instead of two halves that, you get close to the usual level of risk of no vaccine - 30%-40% of hospitalisation risk. Those admitted to hospital has 25% chance of death, more than 50% chance of long Covid.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
one jab is better than none but there is a danger that people may be lulled into false sense of security. On the face of it: the AZ vaccine offers already less protection than the Pfizer vaccine, one dose instead of two halves that, you get close to the usual level of risk of no vaccine - 30%-40% of hospitalisation risk. Those admitted to hospital has 25% chance of death, more than 50% chance of long Covid.
I believe that one dose of AZ vaccine reduces the likelihood of hospitalisation by 90%

At this stage, the focus is on taking pressure of the NHS so that it can look after those requiring hospital treatment properly. That’s not happening at the moment so something immediate has to be done.

With time, we will start to get the second doses rolled out. It’s not an ideal situation and I’m not keen on the strategy, but I can see the logic.

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I believe that one dose of AZ vaccine reduces the likelihood of hospitalisation by 90%
Yes I think it might even be higher than 90%. The last thing I read about the AZ trials in this country was that no one ended up in hospital who had been given the vaccine. Some people still caught the virus, but the vaccine mitigated the effects of the virus to such an extent that no body needed hospital treatment.

I have not seen anything that has changed this (perhaps there is now some latest data out that I have not seen). What we don't know is how long the vaccine will give protection for, or how long we can safely extend the gap between the first and second vaccine.

As most of you will know I am not a fan of BJ or this government, but I think they were correct to extend the gap between the first and second vaccine, however I do not think the gap should extend beyond the 12 week level.

What might have been wise though, was to give a second dose to all the people who had been given the first dose and a date for the second one. It caused a lot of confusion for people who were suddenly told not to turn up for the arranged second dose, and that they will be called in some time in the future.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The last thing I read about the AZ trials in this country was that no one ended up in hospital who had been given the vaccine.
My guess is if a few people get hospitalised after their first jab, then the government would stop extending the wait for the second jab.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not a good word for any one involved in getting that shot in your arm.
Frankly I'm far from impressed, it seems to be a shambles like everything else with this government. They've announced they are starting the over 70s now while admitting that all the over 80s haven't had their first vaccination, yet we know that many over 70s have already had theirs weeks ago and in quite few cases both first and second jabs. Considering their insistence that they would stick to the announced priority groups in order, clearly they haven't done anything like that.

My own local case illustrates that. Since my over 80s associates and friends on my estate have all had their vaccinations after being notified over two weeks ago, I've done some fact checking, finding that they were all coincidentally on a different medical practice from my one. So I phoned mine and asked if they were notifying the over 80s.

The answer was a somewhat puzzled sounding, "Haven't you received yours yet?" My negative reply was met by "hang on" and silence for a while. When back the response was "We've use up all the vaccine but there's more coming in so we'll be phoning you in two or three days time".

I didn't bother to challenge but that is actually nonsense so just an excuse. The vaccinations in this district are not being done at Doctors but at the same major local health centre equipped for it, where it's been going on continuously seven days a week and is right now. As I'd previously posted, our health trust was the first in the country to receive the Pfizer supplies and it was announced at the time that there was enough in that first delivery for all in the top priority groups including all the borough's over 80s.

Obviously it's the administrative organisation that was lacking in all that I mentioned above.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

At this stage, the focus is on taking pressure of the NHS so that it can look after those requiring hospital treatment properly. That’s not happening at the moment so something immediate has to be done.

With time, we will start to get the second doses rolled out. It’s not an ideal situation and I’m not keen on the strategy, but I can see the logic.
Unless you are a consultant virologist, your belief is worth as much as my opinion on UK Premiership football. I also can see the logic..and the implied fallacy.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Frankly I'm far from impressed, it seems to be a shambles like everything else with this government. They've announced they are starting the over 70s now while admitting that all the over 80s haven't had their first vaccination, yet we know that many over 70s have already had theirs weeks ago and in quite few cases both first and second jabs. Considering their insistence that they would stick to the announced priority groups in order, clearly they haven't done anything like that.

My own local case illustrates that. Since my over 80s associates and friends on my estate have all had their vaccinations after being notified over two weeks ago, I've done some fact checking, finding that they were all coincidentally on a different medical practice from my one. So I phoned mine and asked if they were notifying the over 80s.

The answer was a somewhat puzzled sounding, "Haven't you received yours yet?" My negative reply was met by "hang on" and silence for a while. When back the response was "We've use up all the vaccine but there's more coming in so we'll be phoning you in two or three days time".

I didn't bother to challenge but that is actually nonsense so just an excuse. The vaccinations in this district are not being done at Doctors but at the same major local health centre equipped for it, where it's been going on continuously seven days a week and is right now. As I'd previously posted, our health trust was the first in the country to receive the Pfizer supplies and it was announced at the time that there was enough in that first delivery for all in the top priority groups including all the borough's over 80s.

Obviously it's the administrative organisation that was lacking in all that I mentioned above.
They are starting with some over 70s because a percentage of the over 80s aren’t turning up and they are using the vaccine rather than waste it. A copper who lives near me has had two doses and he’s in his 40s. The vaccination centre contacted the station to say they had left over vaccine, so a load of them went down and got inoculated. Makes sense as far as I can see.

I think your situation will have more to do with incompetence at a local level than the government.

I think we must give the U.K. government credit, so far, for how the vaccination programme has progressed. Just think of our resident leprechaun, they are way behind where he lives.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and POLLY

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Unless you are a consultant virologist, your belief is worth as much as my opinion on UK Premiership football. I also can see the logic..and the implied fallacy.
My belief / opinion is based on what the UK’s Chief Medical Officer is saying. So if you’ll excuse I’ll take his word rather than that of a poxy, mean spirited leprechaun that only knows 10% as much as it thinks it does.

Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They are starting with some over 70s because a percentage of the over 80s aren’t turning up and they are using the vaccine rather than waste it. A copper who lives near me has had two doses and he’s in his 40s. The vaccination centre contacted the station to say they had left over vaccine, so a load of them went down and got inoculated. Makes sense as far as I can see.

I think your situation will have more to do with incompetence at a local level than the government.

I think we must give the U.K. government credit, so far, for how the vaccination programme has progressed. Just think of our resident leprechaun, they are way behind were he lives.
..and we are way way behind on the death statistics also.. we are failing to kill our people as effectively as you are across the water.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My belief / opinion is based on what the UK’s Chief Medical Officer is saying. So if you’ll excuse I’ll take his word rather than that of a poxy, mean spirited leprechaun that only knows 10% as much as it thinks it does.
Of course you do... . Which is why you have.
1. Statistics which do not make sense.
2. Conflicting advice on multiple occasions, which put you into this situation
3. Herd Immunity ???. Nuff said.
4. A fourth wave would be utterly uncontrollable, which is what might happen if you don't follow the science

10% of infinity is still biggly

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Of course you do... . Which is why you have.
1. Statistics which do not make sense.
2. Conflicting advice on multiple occasions, which put you into this situation
3. Herd Immunity ???. Nuff said.
4. A fourth wave would be utterly uncontrollable, which is what might happen if you don't follow the science

10% of infinity is still biggly

As previously stated, I’ll take the professor’s word rather than that of a preposterous leprechaun masquerading as a person.

Non of what you quoted is down to Whitty or Van-Tam, but you won’t know that because it’s escaped the 10% accuracy of your self perceived knowledge.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are starting with some over 70s because a percentage of the over 80s aren’t turning up and they are using the vaccine rather than waste it.
I was aware of that for small numbers, but it doesn't account for them being followed up with second doses long after they said we would all get one for the present to extend the coverage as far as possible. Clearly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left one is doing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No-one's opinion on UK Premiership football is worth anything
That clearly isn't true. Someone's opinion on buying a player can be worth tens of millions for the selling club and hundreds of thousands a week for the player! :)

And even higher ticket prices for the fans. :(

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No-one's opinion on UK Premiership football is worth anything, in my opinion.

JHC has not indicated that you should take his comment as gospel. It is just an opinion, like so much here and many other places.
Sorry Oyster... A belief is not an opinion. It is deeper than that. And of course since with the named he had assigned himself ,it is literally Gospel.

Reactions: flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Sorry Oyster... A belief is not an opinion. It is deeper than that. And of course since with the named he had assigned himself ,it is literally Gospel.
Belief is not as deep as an opinion, you have got it the wrong way around. Why am I not surprised that you have got something wrong? It’s that 10% leprechaun thing again.

You have a very strange way of using the English language, often getting things very wrong. This comes through in the way you present yourself on the forum too.

Try this on for size and see how it fits:

The distinction between a belief and an opinion lies in an individual's experience and understanding of the topic at hand. For example, you know that you like Red Delicious apples because you have tasted them, and you know you like Brunettes because of your experiences. Because of the knowledge and experiences you've had with these things, you have formulated opinions about them.

Beliefs, on the other had, tend to be less rooted in Empirical evidence, and focus more on faith statements. There is no way to prove that any god exists, but you believe in god anyway. People believed Obama would change things based on what his campaign said, not based on previous experience with changes he had made before.

Long story short, opinions are based on evidence and personal experience, whereas beliefs are based on faith and reputation.

Now get a grip.

Advertisers