Oct 25, 2006
Brexit promised Taking back control from unelected officials

It sort of went whotsits up!
But they are in addition to those in the Commons:

For example Ministers of Justice in the Commons:

Minister of State, Ministry of Justice: Lucy Frazer

Secretary of State for Justice: Robert Buckland QC MP

But Lord Wolfson in the Lords.

The House of Lords have their parallels to enable discussion and support in that place, though occasionally a Lords Minister is the lead for the Government, for example Lord Frost on the Brexit issue.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've been informally garnering information on this in my area and have found as above, AZ more likely to result in some side effects that are mildly unpleasant or annoying over a day or two, but not enough to be real problem or any bother.

I've only come across one reaction to the Pfizer other than the common slightly sore injection site, on a lady who is our organisation's treasurer. She has a dormant cancer form which can flare up and cause pain, and the Pfizer jab she had at St Thomas's hospital did cause that, making her ill for three days.

As an aside, St Thomas's is the hospital on the Thames south bank opposite the Houses of Parliament. She and her husband were two of many sent a distance to there to use the huge surplus of Pfizer they had, a distribution issue. Of course that Westminster area has almost no over 80s and few over 70s actually resident, so while the rest of the country were furiously at work piercing arms, the staff at St Thomas's had apparently been twiddling their thumbs through those two age bands of the program.
Some Pfizer experiences:

I had the worst headache and I physically could not keep my eyes open. I went to bed, got up could hardly see out my eyes they were that swollen. I had fluid retention the whole way round both eyes, my face also puffed out bit not with fluid, only my eyes were effected with fluid. I phoned nhs and they said their was nothing they could do as it was such a new vaccine and to take antihistamines. It took 2 days for the swelling to go down.

I had Pfizer. Just had slightly tender arm for a couple of days but as soon as it wore off I had a very bad bout of stomach pain and diarrhoea for 6 hours.

I have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. First dose, sore arm. Two days after, I had the worse hip pain ever. Did stretches, walked around like I needed hip replacement for two days. Then it went away. 2nd dose, day after, my butt and thighs hurt. Like I had been on a 10 mile hike. 2nd day, very fatigued. 4th day, hip hurt again like after 1st dose. It's been about a week now and all is better.

Pfizer. After 12 hours got very fatigued, maybe a little nausea, 'thick head', but all quite manageable with a day on the sofa. Other effects: slightly sore arm for a day or two, and odd/chemical-smelling pee about 12 hours after dose. Lymph nodes up and a bit 'tweaky'. Feeling almost 100% 48 hours later.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Daughter and her husband had Pfizer end of December. No adverse reactions at all. Wife and I had AZ a week ago, no reactions at all. I know about 20 folk who have had jabs, only one had any reaction. Flu like symptoms. He phoned doctor, doctor said its the jab. Stay in bed for a day.??

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Seems to me all politicians see any extra income for themselves or mates as perfectly OK. Its shocking. Its not unique to Tories either. They all seem susceptible to a bit of fraud. Not long since McCluskey was caught... The Liverpool mayor sacked a couple of months ago. Can't trust any of them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems to me all politicians see any extra income for themselves or mates as perfectly OK. Its shocking. Its not unique to Tories either. They all seem susceptible to a bit of fraud. Not long since McCluskey was caught... The Liverpool mayor sacked a couple of months ago. Can't trust any of them.
Absolutely right, business men and women too, they're all at it.

That's why everyone should have a spell of being a Minister plus a spell of running an established business.

Then fraud would no longer be a crime, we would all have our turn at helping ourselves, everyone would be rich and we'd all live happily ever after.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Absolutely right, business men and women too, they're all at it.

That's why everyone should have a spell of being a Minister plus a spell of running an established business.

Then fraud would no longer be a crime, we would all have our turn at helping ourselves, everyone would be rich and we'd all live happily ever after.
I, d get caught straight away tho Flecc. I was always the one caught at school and carried can for others.,??,!!! Teachers used to say I looked guilty all the time.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I remember the old mechanical calculators from school.

Multiply by 24 = shift, add twice, shift back, add four times.
The first computer I worked on (IBM 1440) operated in decimal (to as many digits as you chose to use), and had hardware conversion from pounds/shillings/pence and back again (even though it was in Germany), but no built-in multiply.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The first computer I worked on (IBM 1440) operated in decimal (to as many digits as you chose to use), and had hardware conversion from pounds/shillings/pence and back again (even though it was in Germany), but no built-in multiply.
I seem to remember calculators operating on what we called reverse polish logic or something... For 4 x6 you entered 4 comma 6 function button, =... And no square root so we used to use Newton's iterative method. (divide by a guess ,add same guess to answer, divide by 2. Repeat using answer as new guess..)
That would have been 72 ish??? Sinclair calculator, Led display in white case?? Thought it was incredible. Better than slide rule... or logs..

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I seem to remember calculators operating on what we called reverse polish logic or something... For 4 x6 you entered 4 comma 6 function button, =... And no square root so we used to use Newton's iterative method. (divide by a guess ,add same guess to answer, divide by 2. Repeat using answer as new guess..)
That would have been 72 ish??? Sinclair calculator, Led display in white case?? Thought it was incredible. Better than slide rule... or logs..
This will make you smile : when Sinclair brought out the "Programmable Scientific" calculator some of the lads in our Thermal Laboratory bought one of the kits and built one, they decided to see if it could be used to help fill in the football pools.
By what was probably no more than blind luck on their first attempt there was much jubilation as they managed to get a third divi on Littlewoods pools and won £65!
They were convinced they were onto a guaranteed winner, but of course to their chagrin , despite much debate and cunning schemes, they never won a penny more, and eventually gave up trying.
I still have one somewhere, and though I can't locate it, my ZX81 and expansion pack are still in the filing cabinet

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Your memory serves you well. I was a bit of a calculator nerd. The Physics lab in Uni had a few Olivetti calculating machines . We were required to use them for calculations on Brownian motion , tables upon tables of displacement values, sums of squares etc . These mechanical wonders could do sums, averages Squares and I think sq roots.. then there was a fancier HP 98*** , which was silent, . I purchased a Commodore SR 4190 when I was doing a Masters , which had more buttons than Bermingham., ..and could do all the statistical stuff .. factorials, Combinations and Permutations and kind of integration..most of which I never needed. Finally I mainlined on a Texas TI59 fully programmable calculator. ..which I still have. By that stage I was working in industry, and while I did purchase my own model, I blagged the Engineering department of my company to buy another with printing accessory, on the understanding that I would write the boss a program to calculate the winners of yacht races . It is something you might know more about, but offshore races were handicapped and a bigger faster boat might lose to a smaller slower class, . Remember this was 1977 and the Commodore PET was still a year away.. anyway it worked and I got access to the printer weeknights. I had set up an numerical integration which took about 8 hours to run , so I could get 2 data points for a graph each day for my thesis over 6 months.
The TI 59 is still my goto calculator, although it is now as a freebie on this tablet and on my mobile phone. The real calculator is upstairs, and still works , except of course the built in programming magnetic card reader has jellified drive wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Somewhat ironic being able to calculate pounds/shillings/pence when there were so many issues about even being able to print a UK currency pound sign!

I never used the facility but I think the ICL 1900 range had special data formats to support National Coal Board payroll. Something bizarre like sixty-fourths of an hour.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The 7090 (or maybe just the 7094) had a brilliant instruction to perform any mixed radix conversion; eg £sd to pennies, stone/lbs/oz to oz etc. It just couldn't do both ways at once, eg £sd to stone/lbs/oz.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Your memory serves you well. I was a bit of a calculator nerd. The Physics lab in Uni had a few Olivetti calculating machines . We were required to use them for calculations on Brownian motion , tables upon tables of displacement values, sums of squares etc . These mechanical wonders could do sums, averages Squares and I think sq roots.. then there was a fancier HP 98*** , which was silent, . I purchased a Commodore SR 4190 when I was doing a Masters , which had more buttons than Bermingham., ..and could do all the statistical stuff .. factorials, Combinations and Permutations and kind of integration..most of which I never needed. Finally I mainlined on a Texas TI59 fully programmable calculator. ..which I still have. By that stage I was working in industry, and while I did purchase my own model, I blagged the Engineering department of my company to buy another with printing accessory, on the understanding that I would write the boss a program to calculate the winners of yacht races . It is something you might know more about, but offshore races were handicapped and a bigger faster boat might lose to a smaller slower class, . Remember this was 1977 and the Commodore PET was still a year away.. anyway it worked and I got access to the printer weeknights. I had set up an numerical integration which took about 8 hours to run , so I could get 2 data points for a graph each day for my thesis over 6 months.
The TI 59 is still my goto calculator, although it is now as a freebie on this tablet and on my mobile phone. The real calculator is upstairs, and still works , except of course the built in programming magnetic card reader has jellified drive wheels.
Good post Danidl...!!!

Reactions: oyster

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I remember the TI-59, I used mine for traverse calculations, setting out and other surveying tasks. Setting out was done in all weathers and the calculator was wrapped in 3 layers of cling film for water resistance.
The calculator was binned a few years ago but I think the printer is still somewhere in the loft.
The TI was replaced by an HP-41cv which had a separate card reader and printer. In the late 80's the calculator, card reader and printer cost about £800.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I remember an issue of an electronics magazine that included the circuitry and pcb board etching patterns for a mains calculator with nixie numeral display elements and had what seemed like a vast number of logic gates on three separate boards, I doubt that many people built one, as in the very same magazine Sinclair advertised the Cambridge Mk 1
Here, have a trip down memory lane
Sinclair Cambridge Type 1 Calculator 1973. Supplied in kit form

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I remember an issue of an electronics magazine that included the circuitry and pcb board etching patterns for a mains calculator with nixie numeral display elements and had what seemed like a vast number of logic gates on three separate boards, I doubt that many people built one, as in the very same magazine Sinclair advertised the Cambridge Mk 1
Here, have a trip down memory lane
Sinclair Cambridge Type 1 Calculator 1973. Supplied in kit form
I think I read that magazine . I actually worked with nixie tubes ..and a slightly larger very ugly 7 segment display which had lengths of incandescent filment

Advertisers