Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Covid the virus which keeps on giving... Evidence is developing of higher incidence of still births in cases where the mother had an infection, not particularly acute!. The numbers are still insufficient to seriously affect birth rates , but clustering has been noticed

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Danidl
You questioned my data about Germany having 4 million doses of AZ and had only used 200,000 of them.
Reporter in Berlin has just interviewed German Physician at vaccine centre. He said "We have 3 million doses of AZ vaccine here in Berlin and have used a few hundred thousand ". (Chanel 4 news tonight)
It isn't just supply, its confidence in its use. Well lack of it. Can't see taking AZ to court will help that.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ah - right. Just the condition of the paint looked too good for that to be the case. Did they get re-painted just before being made obsolete?
More likely after knowing Hull, the Bridge has taken a full year to put up and likely no one told the highways dept it was ready :cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More likely after knowing Hull, the Bridge has taken a full year to put up and likely no one told the highways dept it was ready :cool:
And of course when you cross it there are vast clouds of diesel fumes to enjoy at leisure.
Also it was six months late as we were waiting for marble to come from China for the pavement to it

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster and flecc

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Meets with my approval for a very different reason, Sarkozy annoyed me by cosying up to the USA in a way that no earier French president did, even stating it as policy.

I'd always admired the French for being the one EU country prepared to stand up to America and particularly it's warlike conduct when it was needed.
[/QUOTE
It's a One-World Government

Reactions: wheeler and flecc

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Let me put this case forward
The number vaccinated so far have not yet really impacted the cases numbers
What has and indeed is only likely to is the Lockdown

It follows that they should have stuck to the lockdown as the main defence, and given the vaccines systematically at the correct interval for maximum success and reduction of new variants
100% bull crap.

Reactions: wheeler

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
You are mixing infection rates with hospitalisation/death rates tho. The 94 % quoted for Scotland was keeping folk out of hospital. (ie in the group studied 94% fewer hospitalisations) You then jump to quoting data talking about infection rates. (which we must eventually to get on top of covid)
Keeping people out of hospital is the priority at the moment.
Its common knowledge vaccines, at the moment, are not fantastic at stopping infection but seem great at stopping serious illness. You are mixing the two to make your argument.
In a way you are correct, in that vaccines will not stop infections but they should lower death rates dramatically. Yes, lockdown to keep infections down, and vaccines to lower serious illness when folk do become infected. Government have said that all along. They are telling us not to mix, socially distance etc etc even after both jabs.
100% bull crap.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
.. and they add a qualifier to the headline: "after 3 or 4 weeks."

People can interpret that as "anytime after 3 or 4 weeks", very different from the reality, "at week 3 or week 4" after the jab.

How many do you reckon will look up the published papers and see for themselves that after the protective effect peaks at week 3 or week 4, the effect fades away.
The announcement is literally correct but somewhat misleading.

At today's Covid briefing, JVT was very careful when he announced the latest research result for the 80+ group, he took his time to explain the work, and concludes that the vaccine gives 60% protection against the illness and may be as much as 70%.
100% bull crap.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
the Scottish study was about hospitalisations for which they have the complete records.

I wish posters would read the data at the end of the document before conclusion:

Table 2. COVID-19 hospitalisation and days post-vaccination for both BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1nCoV-19 and by vaccine type

Table 3. COVID-19 hospitalisation by age group and days post-vaccination (BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1nCoV-19

Vaccine dose 1 (18-64 years 42+ days) vaccine effect: 51%

a long way from the 85%-94% headline in week 4

scotland_firstvaccinedata_preprint.pdf
Now that is 100% bull crap.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Danidl
You questioned my data about Germany having 4 million doses of AZ and had only used 200,000 of them.
Reporter in Berlin has just interviewed German Physician at vaccine centre. He said "We have 3 million doses of AZ vaccine here in Berlin and have used a few hundred thousand ". (Chanel 4 news tonight)
It isn't just supply, its confidence in its use. Well lack of it. Can't see taking AZ to court will help that.
In Ireland's case it is supply of AZ

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Disappointed to read that the EU has stolen AZ vaccine destined for Australia. Australia is doing very well at controlling Covid and keeping infection very low, so it won’t be a massive blow to them.

Ugly practice by the EU though. Stealing vaccine in the midst of a global pandemic because they were very very very late ordering it doesn’t look great.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Disappointed to read that the EU has stolen AZ vaccine destined for Australia.
I don't think it's the EU, I think it is Italy that has stopped the export of some AZ vaccine to Australia using rules created by the EU.

I was listening to a spokesman of the Australian government this morning and they said if the Italian Foreign minister had contacted the Australian Foreign minister and asked could they keep the 250,000 doses of the AZ vaccine contracted to be delivered to Australia then they would have agreed to that. The Italians had over 20,000 covid cases yesterday while the Australians had 11.

The EU have not handled the vaccine procurement at all well but things should start improving this month because if the projections are correct, vaccine supply from all the approved manufacturers is supposed to be greatly increased this month.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Disappointed to read that the EU has stolen AZ vaccine destined for Australia. Australia is doing very well at controlling Covid and keeping infection very low, so it won’t be a massive blow to them.

Ugly practice by the EU though. Stealing vaccine in the midst of a global pandemic because they were very very very late ordering it doesn’t look great.
Especially so with 3 million doses sat in storage in Berlin. They aren't doing themselves any favours. Bet Boris will come to rescue of our favourite common wealth country.??? Argument is over a mere 250k doses... Not enough to change any body's strategy but enough to do political harm.??

Advertisers