Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's a nice thought that the money comes back in other ways, but it's probably impossible to measure that with any degree of accuracy.

I still think that the £300 million per week should be spent on people in need within the UK first. If there is any leftover, by all means use it for overseas aid.

The 15% hike in council tax proposed by Surrey is to plug a £170 million pound gap in the card budget. That's about 4 days worth of Foreign Aid.

As for the water, I'm surprised it's only 7 times.
When they make London beer they don't bother to recycle it first.:eek:

• :D
Reactions: robdon and tillson

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
After all the years of tory government, how is the UK shaping up for the future?

This man has a view and I believe he's absolutely right. When 'Brexit' is presented to the British public and we move forward from there, they will discover it wasn't the EU which caused our problems - the rich, old and new, aristocracy have been having a field day under tory rule which, in essence, has endured unbroken for 37 years. Our country's assets have been sold at knock-down prices to foreign venture capitalists in order to further increase the vast wealth of the very few to the severe detriment of ordinary, tax-paying people.

View attachment 17346

Tom
But Tom the chap is speaking exactly about what`s happened in Luxembourg...and other places of course.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think the word that you are searching for, but failing to find, is Euroscrptic.

Always pleased to help. Never a pain, always a pleasure.
would that be Eurosceptic, or has a new word entered the Brexit Vocabulary?

By the by this paragraph in the UK peer review caught my eye.

"The UK reports its ODA as 100% untied, and has committed to keeping aid separate from commercial interests. However, the UK reports that over 90% of centrally managed contracts - which represent the vast majority of the contract value - go to UK suppliers; this is a concern because of the potential implications it has for value for money.

Your thoughts on that little nugget?
One might ask who is getting the value?
And who is making the money?
Separate from Commercial interests? Oh yes, I should cocoa! o_O

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mr Trump has just been sworn in. He is now the President of the USA.
I have been watching his address.
Weirdest speech for a long time.
The applauds were clearly subdue.
He is clearly not a career politician. God, patriotism, protectionism.
I thought we have gone a long way since the last war.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
One might ask who is getting the value?
And who is making the money?
Separate from Commercial interests? Oh yes, I should cocoa! o_O
Don't know, but I would stake the house on it not being you or I.

Nice little earner that one.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The European media has been giving their readers and viewers some fun at the expense of May's ridiculous, posturing, speech. Here's a few snippets:

Narnia, Westeros and Middle Earth are queuing up for a trade deal with the UK, says Boris Johnson.
C2eEp0vWgAQ0KOE.jpg

C2cDI6nXEAEZoqt.jpg-large.jpeg

The front page of German newspaper Die Welt after Theresa May’s Brexit speech. The cover blurb, translated, says: “Prime Minister Theresa May leads Great Britain into isolation”.

170119-Theresa-May-Little-Britain.jpg

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, the Brexiters got their bad news today with Donald Trump's words:

"From this day on it's going to be America first, - - it's going to be America first".

So much for a trade agreement with the USA bailing us out after leaving the EU. Given his policy of bringing jobs back to America, we'll be lucky if we don't lose some of the business we already have with the USA.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It does seem that the boss of Nissan is having second thoughts about expanding the Sunderland Nissan plant since May's recent UK speech,what was it in that speech that he didn't like?
Maybe that we are leaving the single market and the customs union,this is clearly different to what he was promised in the Nissan letter back in October.
May has been lucky so far that no big employer has sacked a number of employees in a leave vote area...nothing like leavers saying 'we didn't vote leave to lose our jobs'
The Lady is not for trusting!
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
since May's recent UK speech,what was it in that speech that he didn't like?
Mrs May designated the E27 as the enemy, although not in those exact words.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It does seem that the boss of Nissan is having second thoughts about expanding the Sunderland Nissan plant since May's recent UK speech,what was it in that speech that he didn't like?
Maybe that we are leaving the single market and the customs union,this is clearly different to what he was promised in the Nissan letter back in October.
May has been lucky so far that no big employer has sacked a number of employees in a leave vote area...nothing like leavers saying 'we didn't vote leave to lose our jobs'
The Lady is not for trusting!
KudosDave
And this from Toyota
!
After the Prime Minister’s announcement on the single market, Toyota said it was considering “how to survive” in the UK.

Takeshi Uchiyamada, chairman of the company, said that his firm would have to ramp up its competitiveness in order to weather the effects of Brexit."

Ramp up competitiveness.....watch this space!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As Prime Minister Theresa May hailed the UK as a “hub for foreign investment”, in a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, a host of bank chief executives told the press they were poised to cut UK staff.
Here’s a summary of who has said what.

HSBC
Chief executive Stuart Gulliver said trading operations that generate about 20 per cent of revenue for HSBC’s investment bank in London may move to Paris.

“Activities specifically covered by EU legislation will move, and looking at our own numbers, that’s about 20 per cent of revenue,” Mr Gulliver on Wednesday. The moves would take place in “about two years time when Brexit becomes effective”, he said.

UBS
The boss of UBS’ investment bank, Andrea Orcel, told Bloomberg on Wednesday: “we still have flexibility to decide where to go but we will definitely have to move,” adding that, with Brexit “we have to anticipate the worst”.

The bank’s chairman, Axel Weber, later confirmed that about 1,000 of the bank’s 5,000 jobs in London could be at risk.

Goldman Sachs
Chief executive Lloyd Blankfein said the firm had slowed the process of moving staff to London.

“Operating our business to maximise our global potential -- we were trying to get as much into the UK as we could,” Mr Blankfein said on Thursday. “We’re slowing down that decision”. The CEO said New York had already gained from Britain’s decision to leave the EU.

Goldman Sachs considers moving half its London jobs because of Brexit
Earlier in the day German business daily Handelsblatt reported that Goldman Sachs is considering moving half of its London-based jobs to Frankfurt and other financial centres.

As many as 1,000 staff will move to the German city, with other key operations moving to New York, France, Spain and Poland the paper reported, citing financial sources.

In total, the US investment bank could reduce its London staff from 6,000 to 3,000 under the plans, Handelsblatt said.

Goldman denied the reports, saying that it had not finalised any Brexit plans.

Lloyd’s of London
London’s insurance market, Lloyd’s of London, founded in the capital in 1688, confirmed plans to set up a European subsidiary as a result of Brexit.

Chief executive Inga Beale told Bloomberg: “So we’re going to be setting up a subsidiary somewhere else in the EU – a country that we hope will remain in the EU—and that is how we are going to provide seamless coverage to our customers.”

Barclays
One of the few positive statements this week, about prospects for UK-based jobs post-Brexit, came from Jes Staley, Barclays’ chief executive.

“I don't believe that the financial centre of Europe will leave the city of London,” he told the BBC on Thursday. “There are all sorts of reasons why I think the UK will continue to be the financial lungs for Europe”.

JP Morgan
“It looks like there will be more job movement than we’d hoped for”, JP Morgan boss Jamie Dimon said on Wednesday.

In a downbeat assessment, Mr Dimon said the political euro zone was also at risk and may not survive.

Where staff move will depend "what the law is," he added. "We simply have to accommodate the laws of the land both in Britain and the EU, and that will determine how many jobs, and how many people, and how many things have to move."

JP Morgan - the largest US bank by market capitalisation - has previously warned that up to 4,000 staff could be moved out of the UK as a result of Brexit.

Well at least Barclays will have a good choice of office space to choose from in London.

Wittiest reader comment this morning

"Time to change the name to Brexodus :)"

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Other news
"
National Grid warns of costs if Britain exits EU energy market
Britain currently has access to tariff-free electricity trading with Europe due to its participation in the so-called internal energy market (IEM), but National Grid said leaving this market would make cross-border trade more difficult.

"While alternative arrangements can be put in place that would allow trade to continue these are unlikely to be as effective or efficient," it said.

National Grid also warned the cost of delivering new projects could rise due to Britain leaving the European Union.

Can anyone anywhere point to a positive plus in favour of Brexit??

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Mrs May designated the E27 as the enemy, although not in those exact words.
Surely that wouldn't upset them? I have been assured on this thread that everyone knows this is a meaningless opening ploy to ensure a successful negotiated agreement.
I was told "I know nothing about negotiating" when I suggested otherwise, hence you must be mistaken?

I am jesting of course!:cool:

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Guardian, one of the more reasonable news organs in the UK, has reported on the growing concern of British ex-pats, (particularly pensioners), abroad in regard to their future health-care entitlement post-'Brexit'.

Bearing in mind that these people living in other EU states have already suffered a considerable reduction in living standards due to the severely reduced buying power brought about by a weak pound, the prospects for them without free healthcare are dire.

As each day passes, it becomes increasingly clear that 'Brexit' is the most ill-thought initiative ever to gain government support in my lifetime. The murmurings have already begun from big business leaders involved in global product sales about removing their British operations to more stable parts of the EU. Notwithstanding what we heard several months ago from Japanese car industry bosses with British plants, it seems they are now reconsidering their future investment plans as a result of Mrs Mayhem's ridiculous, warlike posturing towards the 27 other sovereign states of the EU.

This is now becoming 'death by a thousand cuts' rather than an intelligently focused and negotiated secession.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/18/retired-britons-eu-return-campaigners-pensioners-spain-healthcare

Tom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The problem that May has with Brexit is that even if she wanted she cannot U-turn and admit that Brexit was a mistake. There are also a large number of leave voters who would want to U-turn but have spent so much time extolling their ideas of Brexit that to admit they are having second thoughts would be admitting their mistake.
At the moment we are in the 'lull before the storm',in fact the weakness of the pound against the euro is making our export prices very attractive. But it is in the next few months that reality will hit,it is 6 months plus since the vote...the currency hedging has finished,so we are buying everything at dollar 1.20,stock bought at 1.40 dollar is now exhausted and the Christmas enforced sale period is over,people are very stretched credit wise.
The government has advised inflation at 2%,I see massive price and interest rate rises coming....the Chinese are struggling and the dollar weakness is combining to cause 20% plus cost price hikes ,sometimes more,steel prices have doubled (which is why TATA want to keep Port Talbot going).
It all points to massive inflation of prices and wage rises will not match,enforced minimum wage and workplace pensions,business rates rises don't leave employers much room to increase wages and maintain profitability.
A perfect storm cometh....flac hats on,hehe
KudosDave

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Massive inflation? Probably not. The weaker Pound costs us about £90 billion more in imports a year compared to pre-referendum, that is about 3% this year and 3% next year when brexit happens.
Mr G Soros reckons we will have some kind of a deal to avoid the cliff edge (that is we are out but without much change). So it's a case of suck it and see.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Massive inflation? Probably not. The weaker Pound costs us about £90 billion more in imports a year compared to pre-referendum, that is about 3% this year and 3% next year when brexit happens.
Mr G Soros reckons we will have some kind of a deal to avoid the cliff edge (that is we are out but without much change). So it's a case of suck it and see.
Fits with 3% inflation being forecast for next year. It'll seem massive to the many relying on savings for income with little chance of earning any compensating interest. If it runs on for two or more years it will become serious and lead to an increased burden on the social support budget.

Advertisers