Brexit, for once some facts.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
I might take that with a little caution. Yes the early vaccination has helped a lot . Remember the UK had about a month headstart , but may have squandered it on not doing the double jabbing. What has happened here is that with greater availability, the HSE ..our equivalent to the NHS has reduced the dwell period from 12weeks for the AZ down to 8 or maybe less.
All B.S

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I take the opposite view OG, I'm in favour of all the alternative meats.

Our ridiculous conservatism with food has led to all sorts of evils, for example:

Countless millions of tonnes of fish thrown back dead into the sea since we won't eat them because they are not the usual ones we eat like cod etc.

Meanwhile fish stocks of those we do eat fished down to near zero, meaning bans on fishing for them and our fishing fleet decimated as you well know.

The mass production of our favourite beef, pork and poultry with the damage that is doing via climate change and land misuse, while we ignore all the alternative meats which often go to waste.

Remember your adage OG, if it's conservative it's evil, including conservative food habits. :)
It's nothing to do with being Conservative, I've tried it, didn't like the taste, it has to be cooked to death and back or it tastes like old boots.
Worst of all the thoughts of eating something that was a living creature with eyes like Marty Feldman makes me feel like a hard on his luck cannibal chancing on a Hell's Angel road kill.
And not being too choosy....
Definitely not appetising, earthworms I recall eating as a kid (out of curiosity) beat the flavour of goat hands down.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's nothing to do with being Conservative, I've tried it, didn't like the taste, it has to be cooked to death and back or it tastes like old boots.
Horses for courses, goat is best in the right recipe, In the West Indies it's commonly in a curry.

Worst of all the thoughts of eating something that was a living creature with eyes like Marty Feldman makes me feel like a hard on his luck cannibal chancing on a Hell's Angel road kill.
There's a goat round here who I'm the best of friends with, knowing him since he was born. His name is Houdini since no matter how hard the owner tries, he escapes. Many's the time I've found him wandering on our country lanes and walked him back home, he trusts enough to walk with me since I've spoilt him with treats from an early age.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Woosh.. the other day , you queried my understanding of the DUP situation.. well Poots, confirmed 2 . Days ago is now gone. By most models that would be seen as meltdown.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Definitely not appetising, earthworms I recall eating as a kid (out of curiosity) beat the flavour of goat hands down.
Admit it OG, it just gets on your goat

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
We are now back to the highest Covid infection rate in Europe again.

What a weird situation, more vaccinated than any other country yet the least benefit.
Yes but other countries haven't got an idiot like Boris in charge. One did not need to be some kind of Covid expert to see in early April what was happening in India. All one had to do was just watch the news (it was the same in China and Italy early last year). Boris was desperate to meet the Indian PM and stitch up some kind of basic trade deal that he would claim was the best thing since sliced bread. His friends in the right wing media would trumpet the deal to show what a great success he is making of Brexit. The resultant delay in closing the borders to India meant giving the new variant thousands of opportunities to come over to this country and begin community transmission.

There was no way we could completely keep out the Delta variant but if India had been put on the Red list early doors then we would not be seeing the large rise in cases we are currently seeing and probably would not have had to extend the lock down.

I suspect though, that countries in the EU that are opening up quicker than we are will more than likely also have problems with the Delta variant unless their vaccination programme can keep ahead of the virus spread.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Yes but other countries haven't got an idiot like Boris in charge. One did not need to be some kind of Covid expert to see in early April what was happening in India. All one had to do was just watch the news (it was the same in China and Italy early last year). Boris was desperate to meet the Indian PM and stitch up some kind of basic trade deal that he would claim was the best thing since sliced bread. His friends in the right wing media would trumpet the deal to show what a great success he is making of Brexit. The resultant delay in closing the borders to India meant giving the new variant thousands of opportunities to come over to this country and begin community transmission.

There was no way we could completely keep out the Delta variant but if India had been put on the Red list early doors then we would not be seeing the large rise in cases we are currently seeing and probably would not have had to extend the lock down.

I suspect though, that countries in the EU that are opening up quicker than we are will more than likely also have problems with the Delta variant unless their vaccination programme can keep ahead of the virus spread.
The pandemic is a 100% hoax. Delta variant is total
B.S

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Quite nice to see the tories lose a seat.

The Liberal Democrats have pulled off an extraordinary victory in the Buckinghamshire constituency of Chesham and Amersham, taking the formerly safe seat from the Tories in a byelection.
In a shock result, the Lib Dem Sarah Green secured 21,517 votes, leaving the Conservative Peter Fleet trailing with 13,489, and giving the Lib Dems a majority of 8,028.

I'll just add that HS2 has been a big issue in the Chilterns. The effect of the trains, the properties compulsorily purchased, the uncertainty over so many years, and the lack of any benefit add up to detestation of the government's decisions.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'll just add that HS2 has been a big issue in the Chilterns. The effect of the trains, the properties compulsorily purchased, the uncertainty over so many years, and the lack of any benefit add up to detestation of the government's decisions.
The Libdems were right to concentrate on getting those unhappy with BJ to vote for them and stay out of national issues.
one voter interviewed by the BBC said that he could not trust BJ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite nice to see the tories lose a seat.

The Liberal Democrats have pulled off an extraordinary victory in the Buckinghamshire constituency of Chesham and Amersham, taking the formerly safe seat from the Tories in a byelection.
The Libdems were right to concentrate on getting those unhappy with BJ to vote for them and stay out of national issues.
one voter interviewed by the BBC said that he could not trust BJ.
This was actually not the first shock for this government, it was my constituency which in the 2017 and 2019 GEs delivered that. Despite the Corbyn effect we elected a completely new female Labour MP who had failed to get elected elsewhere. She deposed Tory minister Gavin Barlow in this marginal seat with a record over 10k majority in 2017 and increased that in 2019. That MP is Sarah Brown, now a shadow minister herself.

Anyone who thinks Labour and the LibDems are finished is sadly mistaken. The Tories may have broken the Red Wall in the north, but Croydon Central with Chesham and Amersham have shown a fracture in the Blue Wall in the South, which the Remainers from 2016 will undoubtedly grow much larger at the next general election.

Boris Johnson could then prove to have been the worst choice the Tories ever made.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that was totally predictable.
The EU employs technocrats to do the negotiations, the UK politicians, most of whom have the mathematical brain of an 11 year old.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The EU employs technocrats to do the negotiations, the UK politicians, most of whom have the mathematical brain of an 11 year old.
At age 11, I was doing algebra, geometry, including properties of triangles, simultaneous equations, etc. (Difficult to remember what was definitely 11 rather than 10 or 12.)

Often appears that politicians would struggle to work out change from a pound in a pound shop.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
At age 11, I was doing algebra, geometry, including properties of triangles, simultaneous equations, etc. (Difficult to remember what was definitely 11 rather than 10 or 12.)

Often appears that politicians would struggle to work out change from a pound in a pound shop.
We were doing LOGs in Primary school , that age 11/12 . The irish curriculum terminated after a State examination called the Primary certificate, and there was a gap of about 3 months between it and the end of the School Year , so our teacher indulged himself .. French and maths including the log tables, and Halls Geometry

Reactions: oyster

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This was actually not the first shock for this government, it was my constituency which in the 2017 and 2019 GEs delivered that. Despite the Corbyn effect we elected a completely new female Labour MP who had failed to get elected elsewhere. She deposed Tory minister Gavin Barlow in this marginal seat with a record over 10k majority in 2017 and increased that in 2019. That MP is Sarah Brown, now a shadow minister herself.

Anyone who thinks Labour and the LibDems are finished is sadly mistaken. The Tories may have broken the Red Wall in the north, but Croydon Central with Chesham and Amersham have shown a fracture in the Blue Wall in the South, which the Remainers from 2016 will undoubtedly grow much larger at the next general election.

Boris Johnson could then prove to have been the worst choice the Tories ever made.
I guess that Boris is in the same position as Churchill was in 1945.
Both were highly popular whilst they got the job done, Churchill winning the war, Boris getting Brexit done.
Suddenly, after their triumphs they became irrelevant, and no longer needed.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
that was totally predictable.
I think you need to be more specific
They have the mathematical brain of an 11 year old Lemur :cool:

Reactions: sjpt

Advertisers