Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I guess that Boris is in the same position as Churchill was in 1945.
Both were highly popular whilst they got the job done, Churchill winning the war, Boris getting Brexit done.
Suddenly, after their triumphs they became irrelevant, and no longer needed.
Who is the Clement Attlee for our time?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Who is the Clement Attlee for our time?
People are a product of their time and the times change people and their opportunities.

So there isn't an equivalent to Clement Attlee who was a product of being born into privilege at the end of the Victorian era and growing into the early 20th century.

The next nearest equivalent up to his death in 2014 was Tony Benn, born Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, but since as said, times change people, he developed rather differently, though his motivations were identical.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He has joined Labour. And withered Johnson.
Thanks, found it now. Just as well Johnson didn't give him a peerage, it would have been more egg on Johnson's face.

The Tories always maintained Bercow was pro Labour, despite his Tory background. I suppose that was because he had a conscience, something not very common in Tory circles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And there are still some people who don't grasp how dangerous this government is?
it's the folly of sovereignty, bought and sold by a few billionaires.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And there are still some people who don't grasp how dangerous this government is?
Seems to be quite a few of the population are dangerous as well:

BBC tightens security after anti-vaxxer ‘death threats’ to staff
Details of journalists exchanged on messenger apps by opponents of lockdown and Covid vaccines along with calls for lynchings
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/20/bbc-tightens-security-after-anti-vaxxer-death-threats-to-staff

Somehow, anti-vaxxers never manage to convince me they have a viable alternative. A Johnson-esque let it rip is about the sum of it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My suggesting Bercow as next leader of the Labour party was seen as amusing, but frankly they could do far, far worse from their present squad.

Remember, a leader and Prime Minister does not have to be an elected MP for that party or any party. Sir Alec Douglas-Home wasn't when he became the Tory Prime Minister and there have been earlier examples.

Advertisers