Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Truly while the Expert Medical man undoubtedly has intelligence
Wisdom is something he is unlikely to suffer from, and really needs to engage the brain before making rash remarks that can be used as anti vaccination propaganda.
Actually he's being very wise, protecting his well paid job. As I and others have remarked, these experts are first and foremost political animals, it's why they have their jobs. And part of their job is to make the facts fit the politics.

Hence "not as serious as given", justifying the government's easing of restrictions and pleasing his masters.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What fun
Spoof of the day!
"BREAKING : Downing Street urges “10’s of 1,000’s of tiny trucks, or cars” to take to British motorways and “carry stock to Great British supermarkets from Dover.”

Shades of the Dunkirk little ships, eh? :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What fun
Spoof of the day!
"BREAKING : Downing Street urges “10’s of 1,000’s of tiny trucks, or cars” to take to British motorways and “carry stock to Great British supermarkets from Dover.”

Shades of the Dunkirk little ships, eh? :D
Where did that come from?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
He hasn't lost his golden touch.

Donations to RNLI rise 3,000% after Farage’s migrant criticism
UK lifeboat charity raises £200,000 in single day after CEO hits out at Nigel Farage’s ‘taxi service’ claim

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today, the CMA fined Advanz and a couple of other companies £100 million for exploitative price gouging over many years - in relation to a thyroid medicine Liothyronine which I have previously mentioned.

Now, the PM:

‘Completely unacceptable’: Drug firm Advanz fined £100m for making thyroid drug unaffordable for NHS

Prime minister criticises pharmaceutical company for ‘taking advantage’ of healthcare system during Covid pandemic
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/advanz-fine-thyroid-drug-nhs-b1893022.html#/comments

Either utterly ignorant, or totally ignoring, that this inquiry was only up to 2017. And the whole saga of failing to act about the issue has been under coalition/tory governments (except a tiny bit at the very start - possibly).

And that the CEO of the company involved at the beginning has a building named after him at De Montfort:

And gave him an OBE:

Official failings in vetting of businessman for OBE revealed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55834106

And that the NHS could easily have purchased from abroad - had cost been considered an important issue.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Good morning, I’ve been away for a while on a secret mission.

What’s the word on here for the apparent fall in coronavirus infections. We hit in excess of 50K infections per day, then we removed most measures intended to reduce transmission and infections plummet. What’s going on? What’s the theory for this phenomenon on here?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

What’s the word on here for the apparent fall in coronavirus infections. We hit in excess of 50K infections per day, then we removed most measures intended to reduce transmission and infections plummet. What’s going on? What’s the theory for this phenomenon on here?
The sudden reduction was surprising. I'm surprised how sharp peaks generally seem to be with sharp downs following very quickly on rapid ups. I must look more at the modelling.

Still a little wait and see, the effects of Euro 2021 and the mid-month unlock will start to show up in cases very soon; the effects of more foreign travel not for a bit longer.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Lots of suggestions that people are avoiding getting tested - largely due to the consequences of waiting for results and costs. Also, many have deleted the NHS app (in England and, possibly, Wales - no idea about S & NI).

And Zoe suggests:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I've been consistently saying from the outset early last year, enforcement is a disaster. Just giving the right advice and leaving people to it is the right approach that will succeed.

The public know what to do, mask, distancing, hygene etc.

Group one (the great majority) do these and avoid infection, also either avoiding testing or giving negative tests.

Group two (the rest) ignore the advice and often don't believe Covid exists, so they avoid testing too.

Ergo, the infection rate falls, SUCCESS !!!

Deaths? Who cares? most will be from Group 2, serve them right, and almost all of the deaths are of the elderly who'll be dying around now anyway so that doesn't matter. From a day to a century or more, life has no fixed term, every life is a complete life, so nothing to mourn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Zoe have a new video:

ONS says:
  • In England, the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021, though there are possible signs that the rate of increase may have slowed; we estimate that 856,200 people within the community population in England had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 798,600 to 915,000), equating to around 1 in 65 people.
  • In Wales, the percentage of people testing positive continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 18,800 people in Wales had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 12,700 to 26,000), equating to around 1 in 160 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the percentage of people testing positive continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 27,200 people in Northern Ireland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 18,200 to 38,200), equating to around 1 in 65 people.
  • In Scotland, the percentage of people testing positive has decreased in the most recent week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 49,500 people in Scotland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 38,300 to 62,300) equating to around 1 in 110 people.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/30july2021

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
ONS says:
  • In England, the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021, though there are possible signs that the rate of increase may have slowed; we estimate that 856,200 people within the community population in England had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 798,600 to 915,000), equating to around 1 in 65 people.
  • In Wales, the percentage of people testing positive continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 18,800 people in Wales had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 12,700 to 26,000), equating to around 1 in 160 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the percentage of people testing positive continued to increase in the week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 27,200 people in Northern Ireland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 18,200 to 38,200), equating to around 1 in 65 people.
  • In Scotland, the percentage of people testing positive has decreased in the most recent week ending 24 July 2021; we estimate that 49,500 people in Scotland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 38,300 to 62,300) equating to around 1 in 110 people.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/30july2021
Time the ONS shut up. These are the crucial words in those statements from them:

There are possible signs that the rate of increase may have slowed.

we estimate , repeated four times.

Possible, may, estimate, all typical government weasel words to spin the way they want.

Infections are down, fact.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Infections are down, fact.
no, it's just a blip due to sunny weather a couple of weeks ago.
This coming week, I predict case numbers will follow the recent wet weather, up again toward 40,000 a day.
The ONS estimate is like stock price 20-day moving average whereas the daily recorded numbers are more dependent on the weather a few days before. If it's rainly, more people catch a cold and may want a test. Government can also reduce the figures by restricting availability of PCR tests.
Fundamentally, the R naught is expected to stay well above 1 because we liberate our economy. However, as a large majority are vaccinated, I expect that the ONS figure that include those without symptoms will continue to rise from now to the end of the year while the number of daily recorded cases may fluctuate.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Also, many have deleted the NHS app (in England and, possibly, Wales - no idea about S & NI).
I think this may well account for a drop in numbers. My wife told me yesterday that a nursing home not too far from where we live have had 4 members of staff and 3 patients all tested positive for Covid this week. All staff and patients had been double jabbed, none of them had any symptoms at all. The home does regular testing which was how the cases were found.

I imagine there must be a lot of people double jabbed who are catching the virus but having no or very slight symptoms and only find out if they do work place or home based regular testing, and if they or any of their contacts have disconnected the app then that will affect the numbers.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland

It's a tactical withdrawal in order to allow a counter attack in the autumn. ;)

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
He hasn't lost his golden touch.

Donations to RNLI rise 3,000% after Farage’s migrant criticism
UK lifeboat charity raises £200,000 in single day after CEO hits out at Nigel Farage’s ‘taxi service’ claim
The best place for him would be in a half inflated rubber boat in the middle of a shipping lane with something the size of the Ever Given bearing down on him.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers