Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Customs alignment would be the first necessary step.
that's already the case.
Veterinary alignment is the first step.
Also, I can't see the UK joining the EU as long as the conservative party is in power.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Currently closely following an appeal re a Competition and Markets Authority decision. This is what the tribunal says:

First, the Tribunal may hear appeals in respect of decisions applying the competition rules found in Article 101 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (“TFEU”) and Article 102 TFEU and Chapters I and II of the Competition Act 1998, decisions imposing penalties pursuant to sections 114 or 176(1) of the Enterprise Act 2002, and decisions applying the relevant provisions of the Communications Act 2003.
https://www.catribunal.org.uk/frequently-asked-questions

I know the background but how wryly amusing to see the TFEU being prominent! Especially as Johnson has criticised the company that is now appealing. (Though he got the salient facts very wrong.)

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the EU does not do petty.
But some of its members do, Macron a classic example. While several member countries don't want us back there's no chance of re-entry.

the UK would need to demonstrate that it would follow the current rules, and not chafe and whine at each one.
Precisely, I cannot see anyone believing this possible within a decade at least. Having spent 44 years trying to renegotiate our membership, we are now trying to renegotiate the terms of our recent departure! I wonder how many years we'll be doing that?

However I really don't believe that the UK is ready at any level to engage
And never have been since the day we joined the EC on 1st January 1973.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
that's already the case.
Veterinary alignment is the first step.
Also, I can't see the UK joining the EU as long as the conservative party is in power.
Sorry Woosh.. Customs Alignment is not there..It is just that the UK has not as yet diverged. Noises are being made about it ,and the desirability of making changes to attract other global partners

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Precisely, I cannot see anyone believing this possible within a decade at least. Having spent 44 years trying to renegotiate our membership, we are now trying to renegotiate the terms of our recent departure! I wonder how many years we'll be doing that?
agreed.
we are more likely to join the trans-pacific partnership than rejoining.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Interesting that the umbrella is supposed to convince people that this was an accident.
But there is no evidence of high wind
His hair never moved
Look at the Union Jack and cloth cover in the background
The Umbrella must have come from Joke Shop or the Magic Circle
Conclusion: Staged to amuse the gullible

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Another U-turn. NHS Covid-19 app will be updated - only contacts within 2 days rather than 5 resulting in a ping. As of Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another U-turn. NHS Covid-19 app will be updated - only contacts within 2 days rather than 5 resulting in a ping. As of Monday.
Probably too late to save it from oblivion.

I can't imagine all those who uninstalled it will reload it, and many don't want to be notified anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Imagine what could have been done with the money instead of wasting it in such a fashion
The £300 billions spent so wastefully on Covid could have been spent earlier to build a million £300k houses to deal with our severe housing shortage. That would have done more for public health than anything Matt Hancock ever did.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Had to laugh at this in the Guardian
"Diesel car suits me better than electric, says PM’s climate spokesperson " :D
She obviously doesn't know what she's talking about with range and charging facilities, though that is common to much of the population on the subject of e-cars.

• Agree

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland

Interesting that the umbrella is supposed to convince people that this was an accident.
But there is no evidence of high wind
His hair never moved
Look at the Union Jack and cloth cover in the background
The Umbrella must have come from Joke Shop or the Magic Circle
Conclusion: Staged to amuse the gullible
He can't operate a comb, what chance does he have with the mechanical complexity of an umbrella.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I’m getting a bit frustrated by the Olympics. Why don’t they hold them in a time zone that allows most of the civilised world to watch at a reasonable hour?
Seem to be Live on BBC today from 06:00 to 18:00 (with a gap or two for news). What more could you want?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m getting a bit frustrated by the Olympics. Why don’t they hold them in a time zone that allows most of the civilised world to watch at a reasonable hour?
Or do the events as three shifts, scattered across the days with times to suit all areas. Then everyone would have three chances of winning Gold etc, making new honours like winning a triple gold.

Honestly, these organisers just don't think.

Advertisers