Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't know why they picked on Southern Water. Thames Water's overloaded sewage system routinely discharges raw sewage into the Thames, on average once a week, and no further fines have been issued. Both companies discharges end up in the Thames Estuary and the North Sea. Thames Water are building a huge new super sewer called the Thames Tideway tunnel to carry the sewage across to the Beckton sewage works, but that's such a huge undertaking it won't be ready until 2025.
Perhaps Thames don't lie so obviously and consistently? We all know they are discharging sewage.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just why is the government funding this?

The government has launched a £4m fund to back projects trialling running fibre optic broadband cables through water pipes to help connect hard-to-reach homes without digging up roads.

The money will also be used to test out monitors in pipes that can help water companies identify and repair leaks more quickly. About a fifth of water put into public supply every day is lost via leaks and it is hoped that sensors could help deliver water companies’ commitment to reduce water loss by half.

It isn't that the technology might not be "a good thing" with positive benefits. Rather that two industries , both with multi-billion turnovers, will get money from us to help:
a) meet their commitments to enhance broadband coverage;
b) meet their commitments to reduce leaks;
c) meet their commitments to increase shareholder value.

At most, the government should have a whip round of the companies and provide some sort of oversight to ensure the work is done and the results feed back.

Southern Water alone could have funded four million not once, but twenty five times over, had they not been fined for disgraceful behavoiur in NOT treating sewage.
Nice little earner for some Tory donors

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson does it again:

Boris Johnson Leaves Public Reeling After Nearly £100,000 Spent On Art For No.10
The news follows spending cuts to several public sector areas.
Boris Johnson has found himself in the public’s firing line after it was revealed close to £100,000 was spent on two paintings for No.10.

The accounts from the Government’s Art Collection fund – which is reinforced with taxpayers’ money – show that Downing Street spent £70,200 on just one 24in by 28in painting by Irish artist Cathy Wilkes.

Another £18,775 was spent on a set of four black and white photographs by installation Irish artist Willie Doherty, according to a report from the Daily Mirror.

The two works were apparently purchased to honour the century that has passed since the establishment of Northern Ireland.

The news has arrived weeks after the government cut £20-a-week from universal credit and introduced a real-terms pay cut for teachers and police officers.

Downing Street claimed the “majority” of the cash for the artworks came from donors and refused to say how much money came from the public purse.

Unsurprisingly, opposition MPs and the public are less than happy about the news.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-paintings-downing-street_uk_6110d841e4b0e28b31e33cc9

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/number-10-spent-100000-lavish-24715911

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Johnson does it again:

Boris Johnson Leaves Public Reeling After Nearly £100,000 Spent On Art For No.10
The news follows spending cuts to several public sector areas.
Boris Johnson has found himself in the public’s firing line after it was revealed close to £100,000 was spent on two paintings for No.10.

The accounts from the Government’s Art Collection fund – which is reinforced with taxpayers’ money – show that Downing Street spent £70,200 on just one 24in by 28in painting by Irish artist Cathy Wilkes.

Another £18,775 was spent on a set of four black and white photographs by installation Irish artist Willie Doherty, according to a report from the Daily Mirror.

The two works were apparently purchased to honour the century that has passed since the establishment of Northern Ireland.

The news has arrived weeks after the government cut £20-a-week from universal credit and introduced a real-terms pay cut for teachers and police officers.

Downing Street claimed the “majority” of the cash for the artworks came from donors and refused to say how much money came from the public purse.

Unsurprisingly, opposition MPs and the public are less than happy about the news.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-paintings-downing-street_uk_6110d841e4b0e28b31e33cc9

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/number-10-spent-100000-lavish-24715911
Just finished a painting, if I donate to the Conservative Party will I get either £100,000 or a Peerage?
Imagine that! my ancestors would turn in their graves
(in unconsecrated ground mostly) though there were some less reputable ones who became bishops in the Church of England
:cool:

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The so called "Institute of Economic Affairs" lost it's case against LBC 's James O'Brien
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/09/lbcs-james-obrien-wins-ofcom-battle-with-institute-of-economic-affairs

One of the many outfits that are causing trouble for the right wing agenda
"The IEA complained that it had not been offered a right to respond to the allegations. However, Ofcom said this was not necessary given the programmes were not unfair to the IEA."

What did they really expect?

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just finished a painting, if I donate to the Conservative Party will I get either £100,000 or a Peerage?
Imagine that! my ancestors would turn in their graves
(in unconsecrated ground mostly) though there were some less reputable ones who became bishops in the Church of England
:cool:
If you did sell it to them, I'd be ooooh-soooo tempted to almost copy Banksie. But, instead of half-destroying it, do the job properly so it has zero worth. :)

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just heard the claim that David Cameron "did his due diligence" in order to exonerate him of any blame with respect to Greensill.

My view, for what it is worth? He obviously didn't do adequate due diligence. And if he thinks or claims otherwise, it shows him up for his ignorance and greed.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Two tweets..
@BestForBritain

"Experts are predicting that the UK could face a shortage of chips and roast potatoes." If this doesn't herald the revolution, I don't know what will. ~AA

Tweet

Fionna O'Leary, @fascinatorfun

https://twitter.com/fascinatorfun

It would be quite something if Ireland had to send famine relief to the U.K. in the form of potatoes..
What a wonderful reaction! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
brexit benefits continue to mount:

Vodafone is bringing back roaming charges for U.K. users traveling in Europe, the second mobile operator do so post-Brexit after originally saying they had no plans to re-introduce them.

Everywhere that I roam
Over land or sea or foam
You can always charge me...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reckon case rate will hover around 60,000 a day until September then increase toward 200,000 a day around Christmas.
Back now to justify why I put a "Disagree" on your post back on 19th July, because I knew you were wrong and have proven to be since, now we are half way through your forecast 42 day period.

You posted at the peak of 50,000 infections a day, but far from that being maintained or rising as you forecast, it started to fall rapidly day by day, soon down to less than half your prediction hovering at around 28,000,

Yesterday down again at 25,000 and the death rate now just 0.8

I repeat what I've been saying for some while now, there's far too much pessimism about Covid, amounting to hysteria at times. In turn to gross exaggeration, as I showed with the government's admission that their claimed circa 130,000 deaths at 31st December due to Covid was actually just a verified 72,178.

As the ONS have reported, 'flu and pneumonia kill many more people than Covid.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Back now to justify why I put a "Disagree" on your post back on 19th July, because I knew you were wrong and have proven to be since.

You posted at the peak of 50,000 infections a day, but far from that being maintained or rising as you forecast, it started to fall rapidly day by day, soon down to less than half your prediction hovering at around 28,000,

I repeat what I've been saying for some while now, there's far too much pessimism about Covid, amounting to hysteria at times. In turn to gross exaggeration, as I showed with the government's admission that their claimed circa 130,000 deaths at 31st December due to Covid was actually just a verified 72,178.

In the context of a government not being willing to dislose NHS app alerts, I wonder how many infections are simply not being recorded?

Yes, it is great for the individual if they suffer so mildly that they do not need medicial intervention. But do we end up seeing distorted case numbers?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So,
Adieu
Then. Dido.
I don't think many will be lamenting this Dido's departure, after the trouble her wrongs created.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the context of a government not being willing to dislose NHS app alerts, I wonder how many infections are simply not being recorded?

Yes, it is great for the individual if they suffer so mildly that they do not need medicial intervention. But do we end up seeing distorted case numbers?
Sorry Oyster, but you are just as bad as Woosh and Danidl, you just can't stop looking for a negative possibility. Why not just look at the facts that are known.

For example the verified fact that the government's now admitted gross exaggeration of almost doubling the confirmed Covids deaths last year.

Far from under recording as you imply, we've had nothing but exaggeration thoughout the whole time of Covid. Such as the enforced recording of a death as being due to Covid if within 28 days of a positive test, what utter nonsense that is, especially when that was expanded to within 60 days of a positive test for laboratory proving purposes last year. Such as the two Covid tests being hopelessly unreliable to the extent that they aren't even worth doing, proven by neither being considered reliable enough to overrule the other.

The reality is that the Covid pandemic has been an absolute blessing for this government. As unwelcome as it is to have another highly infectious respiratory disease like influenza, it's been a perfect current and future mask for the government at this troubled time of EU departure and all the very serious medium term problems that has brought.

Financial problems? Covid caused of course, the £300 billions spent tackling it. Trading and production problems? Covid of course, lots of people off work. The public unhappy and disatisfied? That's their mental health problems brought on by stress due to Covid conditions, another convenient fabrication. It's even been very convenient for doctors having to enter a precise cause of death on death certificates and Covid being the perfect cop out.

As I've posted a few times before, Covid, the gift that keeps on giving.

• :D

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Someone said yesterday that they heard Gove had taken out a super injunction, has anyone read anything about this or it is just a rumour doing the rounds?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Someone said yesterday that they heard Gove had taken out a super injunction, has anyone read anything about this or it is just a rumour doing the rounds?
For clarity, has he just taken it out? Allegedly. :)
Or was it a while ago?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Back now to justify why I put a "Disagree" on your post back on 19th July, because I knew you were wrong and have proven to be since, now we are half way through your forecast 42 day period.

Strange that we were told there were no flu cases isn't it?
Or so we were led to believe.
Yet now it is the big killer?

This is known as a "Gee Whiz!" graph
As reliable as the Greased Piglet.

Also very odd that the government gave exaggerated death casualty figures at the same time as saying how wonderfully well it was doing with the vaccination rollout.

All smacks of creative statistics to suit the current narrative.

Put not your faith in any figures that the Government has come within a million miles of.

For example from the ONS website
"The reliance on some of these data by government (both local and national) makes ONS material central to debates about the determination of priorities, the allocation of resources and for decisions on interest rates or borrowing. The complexity and degree and speed of change in the society, combined with the challenge of measuring some of these (e.g. in relation to longevity, migration or illness patterns or fine movements in inflation or other aspects of national accounts) give rise to periodic debates about some of its indicators and portrayals. Many of these rely on sources which are outside ONS, while some of its own sources need to be supplemented, for example between censuses, by updated but less rigorously obtained information from other sources. Consequently, unexpected or incomplete data or occasional errors or disputes about its analysis can also attract considerable attention.

How one has to ask, have they managed to pull off the level of investigation needed to verify the information recorded on such an immense number of death certificates when there hasn't been an official inquiry?

As fine a work of fiction as could be wished for when a government desperately wants suppress bad news to open up the economy, from let's face it
A department of that very Government
Peerages all round eh? :cool:

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Strange that we were told there were no flu cases isn't it?
Or so we were led to believe.
Yet now it is the big killer?

This is known as a "Gee Whiz!" graph
As reliable as the Greased Piglet.

Also very odd that the government gave exaggerated death casualty figures at the same time as saying how wonderfully well it was doing with the vaccination rollout.

All smacks of creative statistics to suit the current narrative.

Put not your faith in any figures that the Government has come within a million miles of.

For example from the ONS website
"The reliance on some of these data by government (both local and national) makes ONS material central to debates about the determination of priorities, the allocation of resources and for decisions on interest rates or borrowing. The complexity and degree and speed of change in the society, combined with the challenge of measuring some of these (e.g. in relation to longevity, migration or illness patterns or fine movements in inflation or other aspects of national accounts) give rise to periodic debates about some of its indicators and portrayals. Many of these rely on sources which are outside ONS, while some of its own sources need to be supplemented, for example between censuses, by updated but less rigorously obtained information from other sources. Consequently, unexpected or incomplete data or occasional errors or disputes about its analysis can also attract considerable attention.

How one has to ask, have they managed to pull off the level of investigation needed to verify the information recorded on such an immense number of death certificates when there hasn't been an official inquiry?

As fine a work of fiction as could be wished for when a government desperately wants suppress bad news to open up the economy, from let's face it
A department of that very Government
Peerages all round eh? :cool:
:D

• Informative

Advertisers