Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I seem to remember several posters on here predicting that many EU states would eventually catch up and then pass our vaccination rate. There are now six EU states who have higher double vaccination levels than ours and several more that are going to be ahead of us in the next few weeks. We have a clown who thinks he is a comedian as our PM so that's all right then.
Six EU states overtake UK Covid vaccination rates as Britain’s rollout slows | Coronavirus | The Guardian
I want to make a correction .. We have officially reduced the number of people fully vaccinated in Ireland by increasing the pool of eligible people to include 14 year olds. And they are startin ,I think today.. . Meanwhile the HSE are gobsmacked and chuffed by the response rate of the 18 to 16 year olds , when they opened vaccination to them about 2 weeks ago.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am trying to show empathy in my Twitter responses as here.
Topic: EU drivers leaving the UK"
phillipfragrance @gasolinephillip

https://twitter.com/gasolinephillip
·They’re all collectively doing this just to spite us. I have an Estonian mate who said they were instructed to do this at the last meeting.
Gerald Bell @GOldcodger
https://twitter.com/GOldcodger
Replying to

@gasolinephillip
and
@mrjamesob

And I have a friend who says he has a photo of Queen Victoria's wooden leg :cool:
We know that this is a downright lie.. Estonians listen to nobody.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Round here few are taking precautions
Very different here.

First day after the easing a few were without masking at the Sainsburys super store, then a couple of days later that rose to about half not masked, perhap encouraged by them having a huge notice at th entrance saying masking was no longer required

That was last week, this week it's completely changed. On both visits virtually every customer was masked, obviously everyone having doubts about not protecting.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We have officially reduced the number of people fully vaccinated in Ireland by increasing the pool of eligible people to include 14 year olds.
Unless you have slaughtered many of the vaccinated, or trained them as HGV drivers and deported them to the UK, that is wrong. You might have reduced the percentage of people fully vaccinated, but not the number.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well the pessimists are always realists, and the optimists are idealistic. The irony is that ultimately the optimistic viewpoint win the future.. because they dream.
5pm Friday, infections down again in England last week, and the R number down sharply.

You see, two more reasons for realists to be as cheerful as the optimists.

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
That was last week, this week it's completely changed. On both visits virtually every customer was masked, obviously everyone having doubts about not protecting.
Up until very recently, evidence showed that being double vaccinated meant that you were much less likely to pass on the virus if you caught covid. The problem was that this evidence was based on the original virus strain or the kent variant.

Some recent studies seem to show that there is very little difference between double vaccinated people and un vaccinated people when it comes to passing on the Delta variant. I would not be surprised if these studies turn out to be correct if England follow Wales and Scotland and make mask wearing in places like Super Markets and public transport compulsory.

I also think when we look at over all death rates over the last couple of years or so and compare them with previous years we have to remember a very important fact. We have had virtually no flu either here in the UK or anywhere else for that matter, and that will have made a big difference to death rates.

My understanding is that if you catch flu and then go on and get Covid you are far more likely to have a bad outcome than if you catch just one or the other. Masks and social distancing would appear to help reduce the spread of flu and so would be another reason to carry on with their use at least until next spring.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's amazing the power of the Human imagination

The Covid pandemic has crashed to an untimely end because people find it inconvenient to report the sickness and self isolate.
And this suits the Government
And this despite the fact that 30% of our population is still not vaccinated?

Clearly we are well on the way to "Herd Immunity" as we pass the milestone of "Herd Stupidity" at flank speed
:cool:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It's amazing the power of the Human imagination

The Covid pandemic has crashed to an untimely end because people find it inconvenient to report the sickness and self isolate.
And this suits the Government
And this despite the fact that 30% of our population is still not vaccinated?

Clearly we are well on the way to "Herd Immunity" as we pass the milestone of "Herd Stupidity" at flank speed
:cool:
Between 28 July and 3 August 542 died from covid, an increase of 12.7% on the previous week (ons). Hospital admissions and the number on mechanical ventilation have remained roughly stable. Reports of the spike being over is, as huck fin might say, premature (west Bridgford Wire covid update 6 august)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I see Johnson is as tactful as ever.

Margaret Thatcher gave the UK "a big early start" in the move away from coal-fired power by closing "so many coal mines", Boris Johnson has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58107009

He really is the pits.
A shift down the pit would have wrecked the blonde bawbag.
I wish he could have joined me in a 19" seam, I bet he'd be squealing for Mummy.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Unless you have slaughtered many of the vaccinated, or trained them as HGV drivers and deported them to the UK, that is wrong. You might have reduced the percentage of people fully vaccinated, but not the number.
I stand corrected!!. You see they have this daily graphic on the TV ,which shows three overlapping circles .. the full ring one being the target population, the nearly complete ring , the fraction of the population with one doses, and a slightly more open ring those with the full dosage. Well last week the rings became more open, because the target population had been increased..

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see an Archbishop is critical of the Metropolitan elite in the Daily Telegraph

I wonder which Tory heirloom Family bibles this is in?

Bet you can't guess

I can ;)

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see an Archbishop is critical of the Metropolitan elite in the Daily Telegraph

I wonder which Tory heirloom Family bibles this is in?

Bet you can't guess

I can ;)
By the way, I keep finding with your posts that they are just blank - at least, no images just a few words. Have to go to another computer to be able to see them!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
By the way, I keep finding with your posts that they are just blank - at least, no images just a few words. Have to go to another computer to be able to see them!
They work fine for me; standard Chrome/Windows; also Firefox/Opera/Edge. Maybe you've got some adblocker or similar that stops the images working for you?

Advertisers