Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on the news: my local MP was stabbed at his surgery (in Leigh-On-Sea) and died this afternoon.

R.I.P.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't get me wrong, I, m not knocking slow jogging at all. Its obviously a fantastic method for losing weight, keeping fit, etc etc.. I try to cut down on every activity likely to aggregate knees in slightest... To save them for ruination from windsurfing...
I need the motivation of emtb... Think I, d sit at home and stagnate were it not for ebike... It gets me out when I feel lazy but once going invariably do lots more than I, d planned..
Ebike, one of my best ever purchases. Probably best.
My knees were hurting rather a lot, but after two slow jogging sessions, they don't anymore - apart from during those first two days after the first slow jog. In my case, there might be something in (can't find jonathan.agnew's post) what was said about jogging and knees. My worry is that my "Minimal time" default will also come into play when I get my ebike fixed ie I'll ebike and that'll use up my exercise quota, stopping slow jogging... I'm sooo lazy...

Last edited:

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Funny you should mention that. I had a bad AF attack whilst sailing a few months ago, came in to eat, (I find it staves off the muscle tiredness whilst in AF) and I could hardly chew. My jaw muscles were absolutely worn out..??? Put it down to fatigue but could be heart related.???
My wife has AF. She woke up with it after an operation. She’d never had any symptoms prior to that.

Have you ever considered having the ablation procedure done to improve the situation?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a weird symptom... When I walk or exert myself my jaws ache!. .. . I suspect it is heart related ,..as does my GP so even the 5k or 7000 /8000 daily walk, brings it on ..whereas the ebike being more gentle keeps it at bay.
I get that, when I've been out walking for quite some time in winter. Makes it hard to talk, when I reach my destination.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
My wife has AF. She woke up with it after an operation. She’d never had any symptoms prior to that.

Have you ever considered having the ablation procedure done to improve the situation?
Yep, I, ve had one already and 2 cardio versions... Think they are going to do a second ablation.. Seeing them 1st Nov...
They said at time I, d need 2 ablations...not sure why, something to do with too many nerves to ablate on one trip..???

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has anyone any idea of motive? Ridiculous waste of life..
During a one on one surgery we will only know if the killer reveals his motive. Most probably disappointment at Sir David's response to his problem.

Difficult to believe with Sir David who was a most reasonable man.

Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
During a one on one surgery we will only know if the killer reveals his motive. Most probably disappointment at Sir David's response to his problem.
very possibly.
I saw him last time at the Kingdom Hall, the place was used for Covid jabs.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Write it all down in a simple list before your next appointment! It's the only way even for those who have excellent focus, memory, etc.

Comes across as being towards the Walter Mitty end of the scale - but who knows?
I had planned to make notes while in the waiting room - I even took along a little notebook... then I met Forrest Gump. He seemed completely convinced of everything he said, but quite why such a wealthy man would be treated at a NHS hospital; it seemed incongruous. True or not, I enjoyed the conversation, which was sparked by my enquiring where I could grab a coffee, and his subsequent musing about the viability of the NHS providing curved drinking straws, with a small integral electric pump, to facilitate easier drinking of water from polystyrene cups. The most striking part of our conversation was at the end, when he was talking about saving the lives of Chinese interpreters, and how grateful families were when he got them out of China - his physical stature transformed from a very weak, extremely ill looking, and very old wheelchair-bound gentleman, to that of a powerful company boss... he sat back straight and seemed twice as tall; then he shrank again when a nurse approached, giving me me a little wave as he was wheeled away, to face whatever fate awaited him at the hands (or jaws) of the Consultant. He got a skinny Chinese senior Consultant, who exhibited native Chinese mannerisms.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In another place which is about health matters, I yawn at the number of people who say "I eat healthy".

The wording sets me off. But I think by far the majority of have no idea. Not having a Big Mac every lunch and Domino's pizza every evening is sincerely felt to be really good.

Given the way that perception of diet in academic, medical, sport, and numerous other areas changes, often radically, over time, it is not something I'd claim. Not even that I eat healthily. But I do a lot better than many. Lots of fresh and self-cooked food.
I never eat anything that's healthy
I take great care to ensure that whatever it is that I decide to eat
is dead first :cool:

• :D
Reactions: daveboy

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I had planned to make notes while in the waiting room - I even took along a little notebook... then I met Forrest Gump. He seemed completely convinced of everything he said, but quite why such a wealthy man would be treated at a NHS hospital; it seemed incongruous. True or not, I enjoyed the conversation, which was sparked by my enquiring where I could grab a coffee, and his subsequent musing about the viability of the NHS providing curved drinking straws, with a small integral electric pump, to facilitate easier drinking of water from polystyrene cups. The most striking part of our conversation was at the end, when he was talking about saving the lives of Chinese interpreters, and how grateful families were when he got them out of China - his physical stature transformed from a weak and very ill looking, and very old wheelchair-bound gentleman, to that of a powerful company boss... he sat back straight and seemed twice as tall; then he shrank again when a nurse approached, giving me me a little wave as he was wheeled away, to face whatever fate awaited him at the hands (or jaws) of the Consultant. He got a skinny Chinese senior Consultant, who exhibited native Chinese mannerisms.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Could go either way, couldn't it? Like all such beliefs, "Karma" is self-fulfilling... people who believe will actively seek out "Confirmation" of their befief, by subconsciously manipulating events to produce an end result to confirm it's existence to themselves; and the echo chamber echoes on...

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
After the killing of an MP yesterday, there is going to be a review to enhance their safety measures.

I’m currently standing talking to a volunteer at the National Coast Watch Institution. Once upon a time they were the Coast Guard, a publicity funded body paid to enhance the safety of those who earn their living at sea. MPs decided theses people weren’t worth the cost of having a Coast Guard and scrapped it.

Can we have a volunteer service similar to the NCWI to look after MPs safety? I don’t think they are worth the cost of a publicly funded outfit. Unfortunately, I’m busy on the day it’s my turn to volunteer.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
After the killing of an MP yesterday, there is going to be a review to enhance their safety measures.

I’m currently standing talking to a volunteer at the National Coast Watch Institution. Once upon a time they were the Coast Guard, a publicity funded body paid to enhance the safety of those who earn their living at sea. MPs decided theses people weren’t worth the cost of having a Coast Guard and scrapped it.

Can we have a volunteer service similar to the NCWI to look after MPs safety? I don’t think they are worth the cost of a publicly funded outfit. Unfortunately, I’m busy on the day it’s my turn to volunteer.
it seems like an opportunistic attack. His surgery started at midday. As he walked inside the church, there was a queue of people waiting to see him. He exchanged some politeness with those in the queue. The guy with the knife attacked him.
Unless MPs have guards with metal detectors and secure back door access, I can't see how you can stop this.
I am a bit puzzled as to why Southend police remain quiet on the motivation of the attack.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
it seems like an opportunistic attack. His surgery started at midday. As he walked inside the church, there was a queue of people waiting to see him. He exchanged some politeness with those in the queue. The guy with the knife attacked him.
Unless MPs have guards with metal detectors and secure back door access, I can't see how you can stop this.
I am a bit puzzled as to why Southend police remain quiet on the motivation of the attack.
It’s a terrible tragedy, but many other public servants face similar threats. Police, ambulance, A&E workers, bus drivers, teachers to name but a few. This is a great time for them to show leadership by example. MPs should either get on with it and accept the risk like other public services workers or get out of the industry if they are too yellow.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Mis-informing of motivation is a bad and dangerous game. If they don't know, or are unsure, it is likely better not to say anything. And, to consider one possibility, if the suspect has a severe mental health issue, that might eventually be seen as more important than a possibly more visible motivation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A stab proof vest should be mandatory - even a thick leather jacket will somewhat limit knife penetration, which is one of the reasons why biker gangs like them. Of course, that won't prevent the attacker aiming for the throat or large arteries in the legs, but those are much harder targets to hit and stab repeatedly, than the body (I've seen it in the movies, so it must be true)

Last edited:

Advertisers