Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It’s a terrible tragedy, but many other public servants face similar threats. Police, ambulance, A&E workers, bus drivers, teachers to name but a few. This is a great time for them to show leadership by example. MPs should either get on with it and accept the risk like other public services workers or get out of the industry if they are too yellow.
Here is a revolutionary idea.
Why not have political policies that don't incite hatred?
A few less foreign wars might be a good way to start, and inciting the worst instincts of the public, by blaming identifiable groups to gain their support would be even better.
The likes of Farage for instance should have been banished

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
A few less foreign wars might be a good way to start, and inciting the worst instincts of the public, by blaming identifiable groups to gain their support would be even better.
Exactly. It’s the game they’ve chosen to be in. Actions have consequences, both good and bad.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We all know that the Covid pandemic is over and done (the government has lost interest so it must be true)
Look at these figures

Latest Government advice
If you think you might have Covid
It was your fault, so don't make yourself look foolish by having a test and letting anyone else know.
Close your eyes and think of Brexit

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A stab proof vest should be mandatory - even a thick leather jacket will somewhat limit knife penetration, which is one of the reasons why biker gangs like them. Of course, that won't prevent the attacker aiming for the throat or large arteries in the legs, but those are much harder targets to hit (I've seen it in the movies, so it must be true) and hit repeatedly, than the body.
If you don't wear a stab-proof vest when you are out and about, would it be your fault if you got stabbed?

The implication is that if an MP didn't wear such a vest one day, and were stabbed, it would be at least partly their responsibility for failing to obey the mandatation.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Totally agree OG but the language and attitude of some MPs doesn't help.. ( Eg scum comments from certain sections of our society)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you don't wear a stab-proof vest when you are out and about, would it be your fault if you got stabbed?

The implication is that if an MP didn't wear such a vest one day, and were stabbed, it would be at least partly their responsibility for failing to obey the mandatation.
Wearing the garb of war would suit the toxic attack culture politics has become - it all seems to be heading that way anyway, they may as well look the part? Take similar precautions to being in a war zone?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We all know that the Covid pandemic is over and done (the government has lost interest so it must be true)
Look at these figures

Latest Government advice
If you think you might have Covid
It was your fault, so don't make yourself look foolish by having a test and letting anyone else know.
Close your eyes and think of Brexit
I'm certain that Boris indentifies within his own self, primarily as an improvisational comedian.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Mis-informing of motivation is a bad and dangerous game. If they don't know, or are unsure, it is likely better not to say anything. And, to consider one possibility, if the suspect has a severe mental health issue, that might eventually be seen as more important than a possibly more visible motivation.
If they have a live suspect in custody, they need to be circumspect as it can affect case in court

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm certain that Boris indentifies within his own self, primarily as an improvisational comedian.
Certainly not in my own self.

When he was positively cultivating the clowning and joking imebecile persona, I'd find nothing about him amusing or entertaining.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Certainly not in my own self.

When he was positively cultivating the clowning and joking imebecile persona, I'd find nothing about him amusing or entertaining.
Stating the obvious, but I think boris - to his credit - recognised before most (as he became conscious amongst the primates on the island) that he's surrounded by the kind of thick twats that respond well to a certain kind of banal acting out, and found his ticket up the greasy pole.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am a bit puzzled as to why Southend police remain quiet on the motivation of the attack.
In those circumstances only the killer will know the motivation, and with such a serious event I doubt he's been questioned in any depth yet. They'll have to proceeed very carefully, especially with the police in general being under such critical scrutiny at present. They really can't afford one more mess-up.

The fact that he's a Somali is a complication since they are having to discover whether he's connected to the known Somali terror group.

It doesn't help that the media, including the BBC and FT, are saying the police say it's a terrorist attack when they'd said nothing of the sort then. They only announced that they were LOOKING for a possible Somali terrorist connection.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Probability of being killed in a terrorist attack, is pretty low for the rest of us:

During the days of IRA mainland activity, some people seemed to be excessively concerned. Despite living in a potential target city, having been in Oxford Street when a bomb blew, etc., I always felt my statistical chances were extremely low of being harmed. Yes, of course, keeping eyes open was important.

Quite clearly now, disease is a much greater direct threat to most of us.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Totally agree OG but the language and attitude of some MPs doesn't help.. ( Eg scum comments from certain sections of our society)
That's a symptom, not a cause causing dissent came first, and if this murder was committed by a religious fanatic, calling scum scum is hardly cogent, is it?
The problem is far deeper seated that that.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Stating the obvious, but I think boris - to his credit - recognised before most (as he became conscious amongst the primates on the island) that he's surrounded by the kind of thick twats that respond well to a certain kind of banal acting out, and found his ticket up the greasy pole.
Even if there is some truth to what you say, I hardly think it counts as credit.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That's a symptom, not a cause causing dissent came first, and if this murder was committed by a religious fanatic, calling scum scum is hardly cogent, is it?
The problem is far deeper seated that that.
Sorry OG, can't agree with that. Both are wrong. Calling people scum (amongst other things) is politics of hate and should have no place in any civilised governance. MPs should be setting examples, not adding to flames.
If people can't keep emotions in check, irrespective of justification, they have no place in representing any party.
Perhaps folk condoning such behaviour are likely to replicate it? It's wrong OG.
Justifying it is slippery slope... How long before verbal abuse becomes physical. Its a thin line OG. Some in our society have difficulty differentiating between the two, one doesn't lead to the other it's simply part of it. Everyone of us has a responsibility to keep such language and behaviour to an absolute minimum.
Why should anyone be the brunt of such outbursts. And if its tolerated, what of the response? Are "Tory scum" allowed to retort with similar standard of grammar??
Either side of house could simply line up and shout insults /swearing accross the floor. Defending it is utter none sense.
And, by the way, I, m not suggesting comments have anything too do with this atrocity, but it does highlight the problem with tolerating such awful generalisations. This chap was a Tory...Labelling him was neither correct or beneficial for anyone,infact it probably damaged Labour Party far more than Tories. I suspect the lady making the insults is rather regretful of them today. If not, she should be.
The deep seated problem is the fact such language can be used by a politician and her actions thought justified by some in society.
Don't normally like Rob Rinder but he has made a good comment..
Screenshot_20211016_142235.jpg

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Sorry OG, can't agree with that. Both are wrong. Calling people scum (amongst other things) is politics of hate and should have no place in any civilised governance. MPs should be setting examples, not adding to flames.
If people can't keep emotions in check, irrespective of justification, they have no place in representing any party.
Perhaps folk condoning such behaviour are likely to replicate it? It's wrong OG.
Justifying it is slippery slope... How long before verbal abuse becomes physical. Its a thin line OG. Some in our society have difficulty differentiating between the two, one doesn't lead to the other it's simply part of it. Everyone of us has a responsibility to keep such language and behaviour to an absolute minimum.
Why should anyone be the brunt of such outbursts. And if its tolerated, what of the response? Are "Tory scum" allowed to retort with similar standard of grammar??
Either side of house could simply line up and shout insults /swearing accross the floor. Defending it is utter none sense.
And, by the way, I, m not suggesting comments have anything too do with this atrocity, but it does highlight the problem with tolerating such awful generalisations. This chap was a Tory...Labelling him was neither correct or beneficial for anyone,infact it probably damaged Labour Party far more than Tories. I suspect the lady making the insults is rather regretful of them today. If not, she should be.
The deep seated problem is the fact such language can be used by a politician and her actions thought justified by some in society.
Don't normally like Rob Rinder but he has made a good comment..
View attachment 44432
"Mp's should be setting examples"? Yes, but calling each other scum is a secondary problem (to being scum, taking bribes from donors etc).

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Yes - it's pretty easy and actually quite healthy to do, with beansprouts. Sorry, I'll get back to farting in a corner...

p.s. I bought another 10kg of beans, on my way back from the hospital. I should have bought a methane compressor too.

Advertisers