Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
the test flight of an 8-person Cessna earlier this year was a success:

QUOTE:
It’s a far cry from the 200-300-seater jet that takes you on weekend city breaks or work trips, never mind the huge double-decker planes that cross continents. But the “eCaravan” test flight was a success. The two companies behind it, AeroTEC and magniX, which supplied the electric motor, are chuffed with the results. Roei Ganzarski, chief executive of magniX, pointed out in a statement that the price of flying the Cessna clocked in at a mere $6 (£4.80). Had they used conventional engine fuel, the 30-minute flight would have cost $300-400 (£240-320).

Electric flight is viable for novelty headline catching stunts. It’s not viable as a serious means of passenger or cargo transport. The battery technology isn’t sufficiently developed and is many decades off being so. Hydrogen might be an answer one day, but that’s still a very long way off.

The big problem with batteries is that they don’t become lighter as the energy is depleted, something that does happen with a fossil fuel tank and that has a major bearing on aircraft range.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It’s not viable as a serious means of passenger or cargo transport.
I've seen on BBC news Royal Mail operates currently electric drones to deliver mails to scottish islands.
I reckon they will go more and more electric. There is no reason not to. It's cheaper to start with.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
the test flight of an 8-person Cessna earlier this year was a success:

QUOTE:
It’s a far cry from the 200-300-seater jet that takes you on weekend city breaks or work trips, never mind the huge double-decker planes that cross continents. But the “eCaravan” test flight was a success. The two companies behind it, AeroTEC and magniX, which supplied the electric motor, are chuffed with the results. Roei Ganzarski, chief executive of magniX, pointed out in a statement that the price of flying the Cessna clocked in at a mere $6 (£4.80). Had they used conventional engine fuel, the 30-minute flight would have cost $300-400 (£240-320).

I could say that by 2040 I’m going to have a fleet of aeroplanes that run on carbon dioxide and spew distilled water and giant pandas out of the exhaust. It’s easy to say these big things, doing them is an entirely different matter.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I've seen on BBC news Royal Mail operates currently electric drones to deliver mails to scottish islands.
I reckon they will go more and more electric. There is no reason not to. It's cheaper to start with.
I think you’ve been conned with hype. I don’t believe the Royal Fail if that’s what they are claiming. It’s Horse S.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think you’ve been conned with hype. I don’t believe the Royal Fail if that’s what they are claiming. It’s Horse S.
they are quite serious about this:

• :D
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It’s a trial, not a service. They’ve carried a parcel to a lighthouse and a couple more to islands beyond line of sight. This is a very long way from being a service.

Amazon have been experimenting with drone deliveries at an airfield in Northamptonshire for years and aren’t really any nearer to a service.

It will also need major changes to the Air Navigation Order to allow a commercial drone service to effectively operate.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the first link states:
"Drones don't fall victim to bad weather or tides..."

I find it difficult to imagine that the person who wrote that realises quite how strong the winds can blow up there - at least 134 mph has been recorded. There is no drone that can cope with such winds.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And as for OG and Woosh assuring us all it's OK to call Pritti Patel a fascist, this comment from Gay Tory answers it quite well.

View attachment 44472

Well said that man. Think I, ll buy him a pedelec.
A Brain would be a a kinder investment, after all what else could he do but deny what twats the Conservatives are?
Curiously he states a landslide of Indian and African Heritage who allegedly voted for them can't be fascist

Another totally unsupported statement trying to create a false impression of their supporters being racially incapable of fascism because of their racial origin?
That is blatant racism

Ever heard of Idi Amin, Bokassa, and over 20 other politicians like Mugabi.
And India has had it's share of them too.
Remind me where Patel and the other goons in the Cabinet originally came from
race is not a determinant when it comes to being fascist.

As usual you failed to comprehend this is just the usual BS from the usual culprits, and once again you fell for it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I see the first link states:
"Drones don't fall victim to bad weather or tides..."

I find it difficult to imagine that the person who wrote that realises quite how strong the winds can blow up there - at least 134 mph has been recorded. There is no drone that can cope with such winds.
If I remember correctly, the BBC interviewed the guy who runs the drone delivery program and he said something to that effect, "Drones don't fall victim to bad weather or tides..."
RMG also trial the same drone to deliver mail to the Isles of Scilly:

The drone can carry 100kgs load:

quote:

The Windracers ULTRA UAV is a double engine, fixed-winged aircraft with a carrying capacity of up to 100Kg, in a space around the size of an estate car boot, over 1,000 km.

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Result of grandsons PCR test came through positive today so he has to isolate for 10 days, he currently has no symptoms. Wife works for NHS and although she has no symptoms either and her lateral flow test last night was negative her manager told her she had to have a PCR test too and she should get the result of that tomorrow.

Were very lucky we live in a fairly large house with 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms so trying to keep contact with the grandson to a minimum should be easier than if we lived in a small flat but at the moment its a bit like being in limbo wondering if we already have the virus and waiting for the first symptoms to appear.
Wife's PRC test came through negative so that was really good news. My grandson had a slight sore throat last night but it had cleared up this morning and has no Covid symptoms at all at the moment hopefully it will stay that way.

Isn't it amazing how little effect the virus has on children, just a slight sore throat so far and touch wood that might be all he gets. Imagine though if this virus worked the other way around, and it really affected children really badly and older people were hardly touched by it wouldn't that have been absolutely awful.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If I remember correctly, the BBC interviewed the guy who runs the drone delivery program and he said something to that effect, "Drones don't fall victim to bad weather or tides..."
RMG also trial the same drone to deliver mail to the Isles of Scilly:

The drone can carry 100kgs load:

quote:

The Windracers ULTRA UAV is a double engine, fixed-winged aircraft with a carrying capacity of up to 100Kg, in a space around the size of an estate car boot, over 1,000 km.
Referring to an estate car boot doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his use of words.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wife's PRC test came through negative so that was really good news. My grandson had a slight sore throat last night but it had cleared up this morning and has no Covid symptoms at all at the moment hopefully it will stay that way.

Isn't it amazing how little effect the virus has on children, just a slight sore throat so far and touch wood that might be all he gets. Imagine though if this virus worked the other way around, and it really affected children really badly and older people were hardly touched by it wouldn't that have been absolutely awful.
Who did the test... :)

Hopefully not Immensa/Dante. Just listened to a radio program which was discussing their PCR false negative and the huge impact that has had.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
But so pointless. Short haul internal flights are not necessary, they are the job of trains and the latest trains are as fast or faster than any electric aircraft will ever be.
I think you will find that Loganair along with the residents of the Inner and Outer Hebrides, Orkney, and Shetland would disagree.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
small electric air taxis would make hundreds of small islands inhabitable.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
look at the cost of fuel. £5 worth of electricity can fly 8 people across the Channel.
8 People! . And electricity is going to get much more expensive, not just here in Britain, everywhere as the true cost of very large scale universal provision is realised

Trains win every time, for comfort, convenience, load capacity and safety.

There are lots of electric air taxi projects and electric drones currently in development.
Yes, for the elite.

Not exactly public mass transport.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
8 People! . And electricity is going to get much more expensive, not just here in Britain, everywhere as the true cost of very large scale universal provision is realised

Trains win every time, for comfort, convenience, load capacity and safety.

Yes, for the elite.

Not exactly public mass transport.
I think the growth area for electric planes is to have a similar carrying capacity as a family car. Overtime, those electric planes will learn to fly themselves.

• Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And as for OG and Woosh assuring us all it's OK to call Pritti Patel a fascist, this comment from Gay Tory answers it quite well.

View attachment 44472

Well said that man. Think I, ll buy him a pedelec.
Speaking of conservatives saying things I'd buy pedelecs for (posthumously, as an aspiration) - there is mogg's "tories dont need to wear masks because they know each other".

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

Advertisers