Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the growth area for electric planes is to have a similar carrying capacity as a family car. Overtime, those electric planes will learn to fly themselves.
Just how many overflights will everyone be expected to put up with?

Noise. Privacy. Safety. Security. All are difficult issues at scale. Plus dealing with days when weather is too bad.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just how many overflights will everyone be expected to put up with?

Noise. Privacy. Safety. Security. All are difficult issues at scale. Plus dealing with days when weather is too bad.
they are all technical issues, so will eventually be solved. We have seen drone lightshows.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
small electric air taxis would make hundreds of small islands inhabitable.
Not at all convinced of that.

If you owned a small electric air taxi, would you be happy for it to be taken off to an island, even in slightly difficult conditions. Knowing that if the taxi itself has any technical issue, getting it back could take weeks?

Just a few miles away there is a tiny island with a building on it. Hardly even offshore - you could easily swim across (though it might not be safe to do so). But living there is another matter altogether. There has been talk of putting up a cable car/aerial tramway for access. However, that would be very limited and couldn't adequately cope with heavier goods, medical evacuations, etc. Any aircraft would need true VTOL.

And I'm not convinced how happy police and operators would be with aircraft so close to an LNG terminal.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
they are all technical issues, so will eventually be solved. We have seen drone lightshows.
I don't consider possibly hundreds of flights passing me as I sunbathe in my garden a technical issue. I don't care that they blackout their windows by some fancy technology. I don't care that they are almost silent. The mere passing over would be hugely disturbing.

A drone lightshow (where individual drones can be pretty small) on a one-off basis is another thing entirely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the growth area for electric planes is to have a similar carrying capacity as a family car.
Agreed, as I replied before, for the elite, and there won't be many of them,

They won't fly themselves within at least 30 years, its a bit like all the exaggerated talk about self drive cars. That's suddenly gone very cold now that the realities have sunk in.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
A Brain would be a a kinder investment, after all what else could he do but deny what twats the Conservatives are?
Curiously he states a landslide of Indian and African Heritage who allegedly voted for them can't be fascist

Another totally unsupported statement trying to create a false impression of their supporters being racially incapable of fascism because of their racial origin?
That is blatant racism

Ever heard of Idi Amin, Bokassa, and over 20 other politicians like Mugabi.
And India has had it's share of them too.
Remind me where Patel and the other goons in the Cabinet originally came from
race is not a determinant when it comes to being fascist.

As usual you failed to comprehend this is just the usual BS from the usual culprits, and once again you fell for it.
Well carry on calling people fascists who are nothing of the kind. The only person you are showing up is yourself.
Comparing Pritti Patel to Idi Amin... Thats brilliant. Only you could do it. Nice one.

Just stop calling people names OG. By all means criticise individuals but come on OG.. Priti Patel and Dominic Raab fascists. Ridiculous. And Woosh agrees. Amazing.
Before throwing names around about Raab I should check his family history. (dad, a jew, fled mainland Europe with rise of Nazis in 1938 and came here)

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well carry on calling people fascists who are nothing of the kind. The only person you are showing up is yourself.
Comparing Pritti Patel to Idi Amin... Thats brilliant. Only you could do it. Nice one.

Just stop calling people names OG. By all means criticise individuals but come on OG.. Priti Patel and Dominic Raab fascists. Ridiculous.
If there is any truth in her trying to get Border Force made untouchable for deaths they cause, it is difficult to think of lesser terms that are strong enough.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Explains what? That she really is trying to do this? (Even if there might be some other way in which prosecutions could occur.)
Screenshot_20211021_200541.jpg

The Bill hasn't passed scrutiny yet.
If a boat is "pushed back" and occupants later drown should officers be prosecuted?
I don't think the idea is for officers to go out and drown anyone and not face scrutiny.
Is she trying to protect officers? Or drown migrants? I suspect former... No doubt OG and Woosh will suspect latter...
The link explains it quite well.

Screenshot_20211021_201350.jpg

So what would you do Oyster to try and reduce the number of illegal immigrants being exploited by organised gangs sending them into Chanel in inflatable dinghies?
Easy to question actions but harder to think of alternatives??
Personally, I haven't a clue but I, m not the one calling politicians fascists for trying to do their jobs..???
So to answer your question. No, she isn't advocating officers become untouchable in the event of a death of a migrant, unless you believe everything you read in the Guardian or reddit.
Officers must still act in good faith and have good reason for actions carried out. (as decided by courts)

It's a terrible situation to be put in. We either think boats should be turned around and sent back or we must just pick them up and let them in. Once we decide to send boats back there are bound to be situations where deaths occur. Should our Customs/police etc be prosecuted for carrying out their duty?
Or, if we pick boats up, and ensure safety of migrants, well that would just open flood gates... And our RNLI /Cystoms/Police would merely be bringing immigrants in all their time??? Which do you want? (figures are about 1500/month at moment)

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

They won't fly themselves within at least 30 years, its a bit like all the exaggerated talk about self drive cars. That's suddenly gone very cold now that the realities have sunk in.
I reckon it's easier for a computer to fly a plane than to drive a car around London because there will be standard communication between flying planes.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
View attachment 44477

The Bill hasn't passed scrutiny yet.
If a boat is "pushed back" and occupants later drown should officers be prosecuted?
I don't think the idea is for officers to go out and drown anyone and not face scrutiny.
Is she trying to protect officers? Or drown migrants? I suspect former... No doubt OG and Woosh will suspect latter...
The link explains it quite well.

View attachment 44478

So what would you do Oyster to try and reduce the number of illegal immigrants being exploited by organised gangs sending them into Chanel in inflatable dinghies?
Easy to question actions but harder to think of alternatives??
Personally, I haven't a clue but I, m not the one calling politicians fascists for trying to do their jobs..???
So to answer your question. No, she isn't advocating officers become untouchable in the event of a death of a migrant, unless you believe everything you read in the Guardian or reddit.
I think you have to ask what she is trying to achieve if the proposed legislation doesn't end up protecting BF officials. If they are just as liable as Colin Yeo suggests, motivation for the act is what?

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they have the right to have their claim examined by our Courts.
France has about 150,000 asylum claims a year and they don't try to push people back out to the high seas.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I reckon it's easier for a computer to fly a plane than to drive a car around London because there will be standard communication between flying planes.
One of the fundamental issues is why should aircraft A trust data from aircraft B? If B has a problem, then A absolutely must NOT trust B's data. Making A trust B could be a very good way of causing two crashes rather than one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They weren't deserted by their former populations because of a lack of air taxis. Life just became too impossible compared with being with the modern mainland comforts.
More or less correct... Lack of access to secondary schools for the young , and hospitals for the elderly were the major reasons . Not so much the isolation or even work . With the newer fish farming and mussel beds , there was potential for paid employment.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

I feel self drive cars are a bit like power from nuclear fusion, it always seems to be 10 to 15 years away. A couple of other examples of this type of thing would be useful quantum computers and self aware computers. That last one could be far riskier to the human race than global warming.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
they have the right to have their claim examined by our Courts.
France has about 150,000 asylum claims a year and they don't try to push people back out to the high seas.
Why are French letting them leave then??
And I assume (you don't answer as normal) that we should just accept all illegal immigrants leaving France by dinghy... Because if we did that our RNLI will fail.. It will be inundated picking up boats full of illegal immigrants now claiming refugee status???
French illegal immigrants walk, drive, arrive by train... Ours have to come by sea... Hence the issue France doesn't face.
What is your suggestion?
Oh, of course, its calling Patel a fascist. That will do it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One of the fundamental issues is why should aircraft A trust data from aircraft B? If B has a problem, then A absolutely must NOT trust B's data. Making A trust B could be a very good way of causing two crashes rather than one.
these things can easily be addressed in the eventual certification process.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why are French letting them leave then??
And I assume (you don't answer as normal) that we should just accept all illegal immigrants leaving France by dinghy... Because if we did that our RNLI will fail.. It will be inundated picking up boats full of illegal immigrants now claiming refugee status???
they can leave because they are not criminals.
You should try to see things from the boat people's point of view.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Your possibly right but the consequences of something going wrong could be far worse. A self drive taxi goes faulty in London drives into a bus stop several people dead, makes headlines in this country only for a day or so.

A self drive plane goes faulty crashes into a Jumbo or similar which in turn crashes into a built up area, hundreds perhaps thousands of people dead, headlines and video all around the world for days.

Advertisers