Brexit, for once some facts.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
You're not wrong. The bike shop had sold 2 in a year....after discounting them they sold 3 in a week.
How wide is it Dave compared to a normal bike l’m wondering if filtering in traffic jams might be difficult. I imagine Royal Jordanian wouldn’t have a problem though have you seen his videos on YouTub?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

If stopping this sort of thing makes Patel a Fascist then I, m all for it.. Starmer is supporting her in strengthening specific legislation.
The non vaccined chap with Covid I mentioned is out of danger and a double jabbed lady who ended up on ICU with it came home a few days ago. She, s been told its highly likely vaccine saved her life.. (she has quite a few other problems)
Our booster next week... (189 days past 2nd)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
How wide is it Dave compared to a normal bike l’m wondering if filtering in traffic jams might be difficult. I imagine Royal Jordanian wouldn’t have a problem though have you seen his videos on YouTub?
Trouble (or sensibly) with the Yam is you still need bike license. The Piaggio MP3 (LT version) comes under trike rules. (track width front axle) so can be ridden (driven?) on car...
I had a go on the 500 version last year. Very impressive... Even tho it's a single cylinder... Seemed smooth, easy and quite fast... Auto box tho. They are the weapon of choice for darting around Periphique.. Swarms of them..
I, d certainly have one...winter project...
Don't think the width of either prevents threading through traffic.. With Panniers on bike is wider at back. The French certainly cut through anything on them..

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

If stopping this sort of thing makes Patel a Fascist then I, m all for it.. Starmer is supporting her in strengthening specific legislation.
The non vaccined chap with Covid I mentioned is out of danger and a double jabbed lady who ended up on ICU with it came home a few days ago. She, s been told its highly likely vaccine saved her life.. (she has quite a few other problems)
Our booster next week... (189 days past 2nd)
That link is to a page full of stories.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Its 4 inch wider than my Triumph Tiger at its widest point and that's the mirrors but they do fold towards you.....limited to 129mph......116bhpyamaha-niken-front-action.jpg6BG6FTKLFQCGPYQ2YZQWCLZEOU.jpg

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Spiegelhalter thinks there is not much to choose when it comes to protection between vaccination and prior infection details in link below.
Which protects you more against Covid – vaccination or prior infection? | David Spiegelhalter and Anthony Masters | The Guardian
My area of London with our exceptionally low vaccination rates and very low infection and death rates shows that to be true, maybe more then true. I've been saying it for nearly two years now.

The vaccines aren't remotely as good as they are hyped up to be.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Trouble (or sensibly) with the Yam is you still need bike license. The Piaggio MP3 (LT version) comes under trike rules. (track width front axle) so can be ridden (driven?) on car...
I had a go on the 500 version last year. Very impressive... Even tho it's a single cylinder... Seemed smooth, easy and quite fast... Auto box tho. They are the weapon of choice for darting around Periphique.. Swarms of them..
I, d certainly have one...winter project...
Don't think the width of either prevents threading through traffic.. With Panniers on bike is wider at back. The French certainly cut through anything on them..
"You'd need a bit more room between cars":

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My area of London with our exceptionally low vaccination rates and very low infection and death rates shows that to be true, maybe more then true. I've been saying it for nearly two years now.

The vaccines aren't remotely as good as they are hyped up to be.
another explanation could be along the line: the local population could not afford to go for covid testing, just in case they are found positive and must self isolate. Over time, the number of people with antibodies will be higher than expected from vaccinations and past positive tests alone.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You couldn't dare go out on a breezy day, they'd be over at the first puff of wind.
In theory at least, they should lean quite a lot before they finally tip over: Isn't the centre of gravity quite low? Batteries are likely under the seat, if not in the floor.

...maybe a recumbent form factor would be better, but I can't find recumbent fully enclosed mobility scooters anywhere.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Original article wasn't in Telegraph... But gist is same..
Patel is hardening up appropriate legislation and for a change with full support from Starmer...
Anti-vaxxers should be forced to think about what they are doing - to think and concentrate, while held in camps. ;)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"You'd need a bit more room between cars":

Good review... I was really impressed with it.. But I haven't ridden scooters before. Felt very secure/stable and seemingly more road presence than even a big motorbike. I know performance wouldn't suit die hard bikers but the one I rode was easily quick enough to have fun.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
another explanation could be along the line: the local population could not afford to go for covid testing, just in case they are found positive and must self isolate. Over time, the number of people with antibodies will be higher than expected from vaccinations and past positive tests alone.
Back again with that argument, it isn't true, not for here, not for London as a whole. The testing has been very much in the face and being thrust upon people. Anyway my area and the whole of South Croydon is affluent so not being able to afford doesn't come into it.

In any case the fact that gives the lie to your argument is the low death rate, currently zero in my area and far lower in London than in the worst suffering areas of the north where vaccination rates are near 90%. Compare that to here where under two thirds have the first jab and just over half have the two jabs, because they dont want them. That's bad of course, they should have them for their limited benefits, but it's obviously not as crucial as is being promoted.

Like Danidl you look for reasons to desperately cling to the theory the medical "experts" promote while trying to avoid the facts on the ground. At least Spiegelhalter has changed his tune twice now, being a statistician looking at facts and not a medic has probably helped him with that.

There are good reasons why our rates are so low:

Being hit so hard at the beginning of the pandemic gave us self immunity which led to much lower later rates in 2020, as the rest of the country slowly climbed inexorably upwards and overtook us.

We repeated that in January with the second wave hitting us hard at the outset, our "self booster" with the same better outcome since, regardless of the vaccines which we didn't receive until months later.

The later an area is affected, the greater the likelyhood of one's first infection being a stronger strain, so it's effects worse.

In my South Croydon area there are structural reasons why our mixing is limited to our own less affected population, such as not sharing public transport with more Covid affected areas.

And again in my area, the geography of the North Downs gives us a natural protection with our prevailing winds from the southern countryside, channeled by the contours. Turning my head to the left I look out of the window at a tree line which is the Surrey border. From there its country all the way across the North Downs, the Weald and the South Downs to the Channel. But to the north is the very steep rising escarpment of the last rise of the Downs, so northerly winds from higher density urban London pass over us at altitude prior to dispersal.

Note, none of this is down to any skill, it's all just our good luck, but that doesn't mean it hasn't got lessons to be learned that are applicable elsewhere. Some are already learnt, though not practiced enough, that outdoors is safer than indoors, country air safer than town air.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In theory at least, they should lean quite a lot before they finally tip over: Isn't the centre of gravity quite low? Batteries are likely under the seat, if not in the floor.
The extreme ratio of height to width gives them no chance against gusts, probably why they've never caught on.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You would think so but no...most punctures on a motorbike are on the rear because the front wheel throws the nail or screw into the rear tyre. Because my front and rear tyres are not in line this shouldn't happen.
.....hopefully.
Not in my experience, alas. punctures have been "equal opportunity" for the 61 years I have been riding scooters and motorcycles

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The extreme ratio of height to width gives them no chance against gusts, probably why they've never caught on.
Be interesting to see one attempt to cross the Humber Bridge when it is closed to high sided traffic.
Last year I did just that on a Honda SHmode 125 scooter.

It was a mistake! even worse I had to come back knowing what was facing me.
I really don't know how I made it in one piece in either direction.

You would probably end up finding how well it floats :cool:

• :D
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Advertisers