Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But I see you've ignored the much more important evidence of the vaccine's failure. We should have seen a very substantial drop in the number of deaths due to Covid this year if the vaccines were really any good, but the drop isn't there. They failed.
Silver linings:

Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
We
I am more skeptical now than last year. I don't doubt that in the absence of treatment, vaccines were better than nothing. We now know that vaccines can't keep up with variants and covid will be with us for a very long time, we need herd immunity now.
Well, speaking as a part time nhs employee, the defacto way forward is going to be vaccines regardless of what we think (mandatory now), which do guarantee a more homogenous immune response than infection. And as a fifty something year old with multiple exposures to patients with covid I'm deeply grateful for my three jabs. I have a strong hunch they saved my skin and - really - dont fancy running the gauntlet with infection

Reactions: Danidl and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The job of these newspapers is to protect the Tory Party.

They'll sacrifice a Prime Minister who is damaging it.

They've done it before, Anthony Eden over Suez, Margaret Thatcher when the cracks showed, Theresa May over her failures, now Boris Johnson if necessary.
Their obvious problem is a combination of delivering Johnson's head and who will be his replacement.

Names which appear obvious all have problems which makes the choice difficult. I suspect there are many would not want Gove, nor Hunt, and which other names seem feasible?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We
Well, speaking as a part time nhs employee, the defacto way forward is going to be vaccines regardless of what we think (mandatory now), which do guarantee a more homogenous immune response than infection. And as a fifty something year old with multiple exposures to patients with covid I'm deeply grateful for my three jabs. I have a strong hunch they saved my skin and - really - dont fancy running the gauntlet with infection
What reason do those who refuse put forward for their decision?

At one point, it appeared that very close to 100% of GPs had been vaccinated. Who are the ones refusing?

It seems far more important to understand why the refusals are at a level regarded as significant. And address the causes, if possible.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
In part they could be, 80,000 isn't such a big deal in a 67 million population. A bad winter or a tough 'flu year can grow the number by that. Do like I've done a year ago and look at the excess deaths history and the huge variations year by year so you can post from that knowledge.

Or more importantly stop dodging the far more important part of my post, the figures proving the vaccines failure.
I think that you may be dodging the exceptionally substantial increase in excess deaths, using vaccines as a distraction - are you continuing to assert that vaccines are not vaccines? They are vaccines, because medical science says so. The only time legal definitions are important, is when there are disputes to reconcile legally - where harm has been suffered, or loss of assets has occurred. But that doesn't change the medical defintion of the word "Vaccine".

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The job of these newspapers is to protect the Tory Party.

They'll sacrifice a Prime Minister who is damaging it.

They've done it before, Anthony Eden over Suez, Margaret Thatcher when the cracks showed, Theresa May over her failures, now Boris Johnson if necessary.
My fantasy was that their not protecting the tory party - but the financial interests of donors who may perceive boris and his lockdowns and spending a threat - and see an opportunity to install someone from the more malevolent end of the conservative spectrum (gove comes to mind)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Their obvious problem is a combination of delivering Johnson's head and who will be his replacement.

Names which appear obvious all have problems which makes the choice difficult. I suspect there are many would not want Gove, nor Hunt, and which other names seem feasible?
Sunak perhaps, I think he probably worries Boris more than anyone else in the cabinet.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Rishi Sunak.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But that doesn't change the medical defintion of the word "Vaccine".
It has been changed since Covid arrived. What do you think I've been protesting about?

This is what it used to be:

"Vaccines are designed to prevent disease, rather than treat a disease once you have caught it."

as I posted to general agreement back on March 8th.

Clearly that isn't happening now, it's quite the opposite with people in here, including you and those who agreed with me back in March, trying to convince me differently. It won't work, I'm not so easily brainwashed and I do have a memory that actually works.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My fantasy was that their not protecting the tory party - but the financial interests of donors who may perceive boris and his lockdowns and spending a threat - and see an opportunity to install someone from the more malevolent end of the conservative spectrum (gove comes to mind)
Normally I'd agree, but I think the atmosphere surrounding sleaze and corruption is so hot at present they wouldn't get away with it. Labour is a point ahead in the latest poll so they have no slack to play with.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It has been changed since Covid arrived. What do you think I've been protesting about?

This is what it used to be:

"Vaccines are designed to prevent disease, rather than treat a disease once you have caught it."

as I posted to general agreement back on March 8th.

Clearly that isn't happening now, it's quite the opposite with people in here, including you and those who agreed with me back in March, trying to convince me differently. It won't work, I'm not so easily brainwashed and I do have a memory that actually works.
That definition of a vaccine is still valid. Jenner never said that milkmaids were immune from Smallpox, ..just that the incidence was much less if they had had cowpox.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That definition of a vaccine is still valid. Jenner never said that milkmaids were immune from Smallpox, ..just that the incidence was much less if they had had cowpox.
I agree it's still valid, but you and others are stretching it way beyond credibility for the Covid vaccines, putting all the emphasis on how they reduce symptoms.

The emphasis in your posts has been almost entirely that, completely reversing the emphasis of the original statement which is on preventing the infection.

We'd be very unhappy with Jenner's vaccine if it only performed as poorly as the Covid ones, fading over three months and often not preventing infection and reinfection.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is the meaning of "caught"? After all, rabies vaccine is often delivered post-exposure.
That's irrelevant since it's not the issue, which is about the effectiveness of the Covid vaccines.

The rabies vaccine is to all intents 100% effective in preventing contracting the disease.

The Covid vaccine doesn't remotely compare to that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it does not matter much whether you call the AZ, Pfizer, Moderna vaccines vaccines, compare them to the well known vaccines made with older techniques like polio, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, MCV, HPV, HIB, RV, flu, pneumococcal etc, can you say any of the covid vaccines is more successful? If you can't, then you would have agreed with flecc.

Reactions: GLJoe and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
it does not matter much whether you call the AZ, Pfizer, Moderna vaccines vaccines, compare them to the well known vaccines made with older techniques like polio, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, MCV, HPV, HIB, RV, flu, pneumococcal etc, can you say any of the covid vaccines is more successful? If you can't, then you would have agreed with flecc.
I am suggesting that they are all ( including the AZ and Pfizer) as successful as any of these traditional vaccines . What is unfortunate is that the CV19 has not played ball and has increased in infectivity by 1200 fold in the 24 months of its existence. The 1200 is not a figure I plucked from the air,but is the production ratio of virons in the Delta as measured in labs compared with the Wuhan version . I strongly suggest that you if one gave a population of people the full MMR 2 jabs of vaccines , and if you then increased the concentration of measles or Mumps virons by 1000 in their vicinity , the quoted current efficacy of 99% for measles would drop considerably and the Mumps infection rates would make it basically useless ,since it is at 88% at present levels. And it must be remembered that these Covid vaccines are the mark 1 versions only, whereas some of the others have been refined for 60 years.
The nature of a viral infection is that sufficient virons must attack the individual and overwhelm whatever defence is present to succeed In an immunocompromised person this is easily achieved , whereas a person with levels of antibodies , whether naturally occurring ( as a result of infection), or artificially induced ,by vaccination,it is more difficult. We cannot know how many infections have been protected from or how many were of sub clinical significance in vaccinated people. We only know the failures.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers