Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, as I posted, well worth having as a sensible precaution. I just wish I could get the booster and the 'flu vaccine without the big increase in accompanying risks on offer at present. In some ways akin to a hospital admission.

However I think your disaster scenario is a bit fanciful with huge odds against all of it happening. Fires happen to other people.
Russia deploy their Stuxnet derived cyberweapon...

...to disable all energy systems in the UK . While you're freezing and starving (because you haven't been sprouting beans), you're faced with a stark choice: Hypothermia+pneumonia or getting tubed into Covid infested hospital bed - what do you do, WHAT DO YOU DO?!?!?

China's long term plan to conflagrate all UK homes, counts down to zero... and your Nissan Leaf burns to a crisp, taking the house with it - cue scenaio #1. It's automatic and based on the assumption that everyone would have one by now.

It seems safer to get jabbed via a Walk-in. Case one out like Magnum PI; check aeration, tally ill-looking bozos, exits, plan ingress and egress etc. like the S.A.S.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, as I posted, well worth having as a sensible precaution. I just wish I could get the booster and the 'flu vaccine without the big increase in accompanying risks on offer at present. In some ways akin to a hospital admission.

However I think your disaster scenario is a bit fanciful with huge odds against all of it happening. Fires happen to other people.
Hackers program your Alexa to hypnotise you to sleep on your lawn naked, neighbours call the Police who revive you using tasers... then you're tubed into a hospital bed being treated for hypothermia+pneumonia; handcuffed and charged with indecency. The unexpected should be expected.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Russia deploy their Stuxnet derived cyberweapon...

This sort of crap has been around for ages, very long ago the scare story was EMP.

Hackers program your Alexa
I don't have and won't have any of the Alexa sort of nonsense.

Just because I'm living in a world full of neurotic, easily influenced people doesn't mean I have to be like them.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My tweet this morning
Gerald Bell

@GOldcodger

·
3h

And has anyone proposing Starmer continues "with make Brexit work"
Considered that Boris could be dumped and the Tories decide to rejoin the SM and CU? What will Labour policy be then? Let's cut the crap we need Labour to push to start the long path back to full EU membership.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Considered that Boris could be dumped and the Tories decide to rejoin the SM and CU?
it will take a lot more than slow growth for that.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But Londoners with their highest population density in the country and lowest vaccination rates aren't?

Come on Danidl, start looking at the facts instead of the theory and wishful thinking.

40 times is utter rubbish, prior infection gives at least equal protection, possibly, even probably, longer lasting too.
No. The 40 times is not rubbish ..it is a measurement. Prior infection may or may not give a longer period of qualified immunity before a reinfection. The jury is still out on that, but there are certainly people who have been reinfected. Bluntly it would be only fair if it did. ,As the consequences of getting ones immunity the natural way, are a 2% death rate, some fraction with long covids and another fraction of people with new chronic lung, heart and brain problems,and even the nastiness of the illness itself, .
Moreover even those vaccinated people who get the break over infection to an extent that they require hospitalisation, have better outcomes and less hospital days. So for the the cost of another sore arm and maybe a day or two out of sorts, I am looking forward to my booster on Thursday.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The 40 times is not rubbish ..it is a measurement.
You can download the stats here:

Weekly age-standardised mortality rates for deaths involving COVID-19 by vaccination status, England, deaths occurring Week 38 (week ending 24 September 2021) per 100,000 population

unvaccinated 5.8
fully vaccinated 1.1

The difference was much higher a few months back (about a factor of 10 times). It seems to me that herd immunity is becoming much more noticeable.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Relative risk: testing positive is roughly equal to having two jabs.

Not vaccinated, not positive previously, 21 days or more before vaccination (reference group): 1
Vaccinated first dose AZ vaccine 21 days or more previously0.71
Vaccinated first dose PF vaccine 21 days or more previously0.56
Vaccinated second dose PF vaccine 14 days or more previously0.34
Vaccinated second dose AZ vaccine 14 days or more previously0.44
Not vaccinated, previously positive0.36

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No. The 40 times is not rubbish ..it is a measurement. Prior infection may or may not give a longer period of qualified immunity before a reinfection. The jury is still out on that, but there are certainly people who have been reinfected. Bluntly it would be only fair if it did. ,As the consequences of getting ones immunity the natural way, are a 2% death rate, some fraction with long covids and another fraction of people with new chronic lung, heart and brain problems,and even the nastiness of the illness itself, .
Moreover even those vaccinated people who get the break over infection to an extent that they require hospitalisation, have better outcomes and less hospital days. So for the the cost of another sore arm and maybe a day or two out of sorts, I am looking forward to my booster on Thursday.
Same old stuff. I've never argued about the consequences of catching Covid so that part of your reply is once again an irrelevance. Also irrelevant are the mentions of the vaccines better outcomes since I've never challenged that either. You only repeat these irrelevancies in each reply because you are stuck for an adequate opposing answer

The 40 times better protection against catching Covid is utter rubbish, bluff. As measured by our chief statistician Professor David Spiegelhalter, the protection from catching Covid is equal to that of the vaccines. The evidence on the ground shows the truth of how ineffective the vaccines are at preventing catching Covid, whether in the UK or the microcosms of Co. Waterford RoI. or Lambeth.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It gives the impression that they'd use absolutely anything to delay and minimise the sleaze debate:

It has also been announced that Sajid Javid, the health secretary, will make a Commons statement on the David Fuller necrophilia case at 3.30pm. That means the debate on sleaze/standards/corruption will not start until around 4.30pm.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It gives the impression that they'd use absolutely anything to delay and minimise the sleaze debate:

It has also been announced that Sajid Javid, the health secretary, will make a Commons statement on the David Fuller necrophilia case at 3.30pm. That means the debate on sleaze/standards/corruption will not start until around 4.30pm.
I suppose they reckon multiple necrophilia will make sleaze look like a very small issue.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What will Cressida do now?

The SNP’s
@PeteWishart
has now formally reported Tories to Met Police over allegations they awarded peerages to donors who gave millions to the party. The SNP, of course, was behind the original complaints to the Met in the cash for peerages row that rocked Tony Blair’s govt.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What will Cressida do now?

The SNP’s
@PeteWishart
has now formally reported Tories to Met Police over allegations they awarded peerages to donors who gave millions to the party. The SNP, of course, was behind the original complaints to the Met in the cash for peerages row that rocked Tony Blair’s govt.

I'm afraid the abuse of honours offence is a bird that flew out of the window decades ago.

In fact I believe the act itself is a foolish one, since giving honours is of itself an abuse, and has been ever since it first occurred to Kings to give titles to those who served them best.

The abolition of all honours past and present is the only way to prevent such abuse.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
From your Official Office of National Statistics today ....
Vaccination reduced the risk of infection during both the Alpha and Delta period. Two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine were more effective than one dose at preventing symptomatic infection.

Two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine were estimated to be 96% and 92% effective against hospitalisation with the Delta variant, respectively.

96% means a protection factor of 25. 92% means a protection factor of 13. Note these are the UK numbers ..What would the effect have been had the UK used the Manufacturers recommended interval rather than the politically expedient .
My figure of 40 was based on the actual figures from Irish Hospitals at a specific moment in time.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From your Official Office of National Statistics today ....
Vaccination reduced the risk of infection during both the Alpha and Delta period. Two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine were more effective than one dose at preventing symptomatic infection.

Two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine were estimated to be 96% and 92% effective against hospitalisation with the Delta variant, respectively.

96% means a protection factor of 25. 92% means a protection factor of 13. Note these are the UK numbers ..What would the effect have been had the UK used the Manufacturers recommended interval rather than the politically expedient .
My figure of 40 was based on the actual figures from Irish Hospitals at a specific moment in time.
Oh dear Danidl, can't you see the inherent misuse?

Again, lack of hospitalisation does not mean uninfected, the vast majority of the infected have not been hospitalised.

How many times do I have to say that is not what I'm discussing?

I am and only have been discussing whether the Covid vaccines prevent one catching Covid, the primary purpose of any vaccine. So why once again come back with the irrelevancies of hospitalisation and measured symptomatic infection which I accept?

Nobody knows what symptoms are present in those who catch Covid but are not hospitalised, being the great majority in fact, so your protection factors are nonsensical.

In their primary function of preventing persons contracting Covid, the vaccines as applied are not good enough to qualify as vaccines, as the examples I've given prove beyond any doubt. Quite apart from allowing infection and reinfection, they are fading in effectiveness within three months, needing repeat in the form of a booster a maximum of six months after the last jab.

That is not an acceptable vaccination performance. They are a precautionary medication substantially reducing the effects of an infection.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Oh dear Danidl, can't you see the inherent misuse?

Again, lack of hospitalisation does not mean uninfected, the vast majority of the infected have not been hospitalised.

How many times do I have to say that is not what I'm discussing?

I am and only have been discussing whether the Covid vaccines prevent one catching Covid, the primary purpose of any vaccine. So why once again come back with the irrelevancies of hospitalisation and measured symptomatic infection which I accept?

Nobody knows what symptoms are present in those who catch Covid but are not hospitalised, being the great majority in fact, so your protection factors are nonsensical.

In their primary function of preventing persons contracting Covid, the vaccines as applied are not good enough to qualify as vaccines, as the examples I've given prove beyond any doubt. Quite apart from allowing infection and reinfection, they are fading in effectiveness within three months, needing repeat in the form of a booster a maximum of six months after the last jab.

That is not an acceptable vaccination performance. They are a precautionary medication substantially reducing the effects of an infection.
If the effect of CV19, were as trivial as a dirty nose for a few days, we would easily have had a global pandemic, but nobody would have cared a hoot.( or a hooter) Life would have continued normally without any lockdowns . It is because it can kill a percentage of those infected that we have had to care. The important number is not how many people get infected , and recover without any ill effects, it is the number who get infected and have chronic ill effects or die.
The best measure of this is looking at the numbers who needed hospital treatment . these are the people who needed medical intervention . When we look anywhere in the world where there are populations of both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, it is the unvaccinated who are more likely to be in hospital . The only places where there are more vaccinated in hospital than unvaccinated is where the rate of vaccination approaches 100%. . This is even more impressive when it is or was the more medically vunerable and aged who are in the vaccinated category, and would be expected to be filling hospital beds, and the younger , stronger populations who are in the unvaccinated cohort.

We can agree that had the virus not mutated in the way it did, and become more virulant, that the original virus would be virtually wiped out at this stage. , because we would have hit Herd Immunity levels, and I suspect you would be calling this a vaccine. Unfortunately the virus did not cooperate. I continue to call this preparation a vaccine because it acts in the way that all previous vaccines have been shown to operate, . The CDC and WHO and even the NHS call it so. The flu vaccine which I take every year, also only lasts a few months , and needs to be reformulated between seasons

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That is how it appears to me. Don't miss the actual murders.
This is macabre. And I sincerely dont imply any disrespect to the murdered or dead. But it struck me as what Shakespearean scholars call concorde, agreement between nature (or in this case unnatural acts) and what happen in human society. Ergo lions on the streets of Rome before caesar is murdered in Julius Ceasar. I mean, if what the electrician did to the cadavers isnt an analogy for the relationship between boris and the blue wall I dont know what is.

Advertisers