Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If this forum's software automatically scraped content from the inter-site linked post specifically, ie near the #anchor point in HTML, instead of something wholly unrelated from near the top of the page, we wouldn't have such misunderstandings. I look forward to the day that it does.
I do understand what you mean.

What I dont understand is why you don't just use the Reply button to accurately represent what you are replying to.

By quoting in way you are doing it, linking to other content, others can't know what you are replying to. Why cant you understand how misleading that can be?

You say you want to avoid misunderstanding. It's simple, to avoid that random linking just click the Reply button when responding in the way everybody else in this forum does. As a result none of us ever get random links generated by the forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do understand what you mean.

What I dont understand is why you don't just use the Reply button to accurately represent what you are replying to.

By quoting in way you are doing it, linking to other content, others can't know what you are replying to. Why cant you understand how misleading that can be?

You say you want to avoid misunderstanding. It's simple, to avoid that random linking just click the Reply button when responding in the way everybody else in this forum does. As a result none of us ever get random links generated by the forum.
I'm happy that you finally seem to get it! I'm using the "Share this post" functionality provided by this website to link to posts on other threads, so that I don't get accused of spamming with multiple instances of the same link across different threads. Sorry if that misleads you in particular, but I'm just using a function of this website - that it doesn't work properly, is beyond my control as a user. Talk to the admin about a genuine issue like that, instead of misunderstanding and accusing me of posting misleading content! And that is my final word on the matter. Goodnight.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ask flecc- I didn't start this. Some people simply seem to need a good flame war, every so often.
No flame war, as Zlatan said, you've introduced this intrinsic problem, uniquely in the history of this site.

And completely unnecessarily, since the site doesn't generate random links when linking is done correctly by quoting using the Reply button.

If you really want to avoid misunderstanding, please just use that provided facility which circumvents the problem. When you refuse to I'm left with concluding you're trolling.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Brilliant. You, ve convinced us all Soundwave.
I, ll buy a bong and a few flagons of cider, grow weed, buy a samurai, stop using capital letters, switch off my spell check and talk bo11ox. Job done.
And, by the way, 2020 shows over a 7% increase over 2019 and largest increase in all your quoted figures.
And, what you are really telling us is that in your infinite wisdom and expert knowledge of both analytical statistics and microbiology you know more than combined knowledge of NHS, JCVI, Mhra, and every University in country. The simple fact is you have been hoodwinked and indoctrinated by a ridiculous mis information system. You have bought the BS hook line and sinker.
if i thought there was a problem with a virus id buy a gas mask why do you not have one?

how do you think a bit of wrag on your face is going to stop virus particles or are you that stupid lmfao.

this virus is so deadly it only kills old ppl like the flu you need to take a test for it even if you have no symptoms just to see if you have it the vaccine does not stop transmission or from it killing you or passing it on whats the fkn point lol.

so do you stop at 3 jabs? 4 or one every 3 months as it just wont stop mutating like the flu does there is only a 3% difference in strains anyway.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
But you are doing it with me now.
It's you arguing and changing point.
You said "I didn't start this"
The question isn't whether you did or not, it's simply childish to claim
"I didn't start this"... Especially when you are continuing it... Hence my comment
"my grandson says that a lot".
Just leave it Guerney. It ain't worth arguing over. Whoever started it. (and I, d bet Flecc is right any way, he always is)
God my friend, what can I say? I've been in nhs meetings that have been less insincere and cringeingly sycophantic than your response.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
how do you think a bit of wrag on your face is going to stop virus particles or are you that stupid lmfao.
Even if a home-made cloth mask doesn't stop all virus particles, and I don't think it does, it is likely to reduce the infectiousness of the wearer, at least when they do things like cough, speak, sneeze.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
God my friend, what can I say? I've been in nhs meetings that have been less insincere and cringeingly sycophantic than your response.
The "he always is" is reference to both the number of times I, ve argued with flecc and with ironic undertones. "flecc is always right".. I, d guess you missed the irony in your search for something else.
But, heho, I bet you are a joy in those meetings.. (irony warning).
Apologies flecc. To be more accurate flecc is right more than most of us in here... But that isn't such a compliment is it.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated were actually herded into camps by some extreme government, that might in fact accelerate the evolution of the virus, to yield it's most harmless form? That last sentence is a bit Mengele.
I doubt that segregating the vaccinated and unvaccinated would work, as long as vaccines can't stop vaccinated people from catching covid.
The virus will mutate naturally among the vaccinated to evade vaccines. The main danger comes from new variants issued from recombinations, such as HIV + covid from those whose immune system has already been compromised.
In addition, I suspect there are plenty who seek to make money from creating new variants themselves.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The virus will mutate naturally among the vaccinated to evade vaccines.
Quite possibly true. But let us consider that an effective vaccine (putting aside definitional arguments passim) will likely reduce the severity and duration of the infection. Thus reducing the opportunity for mutation between initial infection and recovery - also, I suspect, the likelihood of passing it (Covid and/or a mutation of the initial version) on.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"Those who have already had other variants of coronavirus do not appear to be protected against Omicron"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59503517
I reckon your quoted sentence does not truly reflect the tone of the written piece.
You should have added: "said Anne von Gottberg, microbiologist at NICD. "
The full picture in South Africa will not become clear until "people get so sick that they need to go to hospital" which is generally "three, four weeks later," says Prof Salim Abdool Karim of the Africa Task Force for Coronavirus.
"But the feedback we're getting from the ground is that there's really no red flags - we're not seeing anything dramatically different, what we're seeing is what we are used to," he told the BBC's Newsday programme.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Indeed, but I'd rather something effective if punishment was due.

For example, the Cabinet Secretary and his senior supervisors being subject to a Community Service sentence. Spending their Saturdays for the next three months wearing a community offender Hi Viz jacket picking up litter from the streets would certainly focus their minds on the greater need for diligence in their day jobs.
I think my choice would be to Tar and feather the blighters and give grieving relatives of Covid dead blazing torches to use at their discretion to encourage said politicians as far as a leaky dinghy on the shore at Brighton, and inform the RNLI and coastguard that no one is in danger , it's just a publicity stunt.

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Quite possibly true. But let us consider that an effective vaccine (putting aside definitional arguments passim) will likely reduce the severity and duration of the infection.
As far as I can make out, the current crop of vaccines are not very effective. Those based on mRNA suffer from issue of dosage and too much specificity, requiring new versions to be manufactured each time WHO identifies a variant of concern. Good business model for the producers though.
those based on vector viruses (AZ) suffer additionally risks of blood clotting. Those based on the old method of inactivating live viruses seem to cause least problems but are far from good enough.
As flecc said, we need vaccines that can stop people catching covid in the first place, something that mRNA vaccines cannot possibly do*.

*SW mentioned this in one of his recent post.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No flame war, as Zlatan said, you've introduced this intrinsic problem, uniquely in the history of this site.

And completely unnecessarily, since the site doesn't generate random links when linking is done correctly by quoting using the Reply button.

If you really want to avoid misunderstanding, please just use that provided facility which circumvents the problem. When you refuse to I'm left with concluding you're trolling.
I was intrigued by this conversation but somehow part way through I lost the will to live.
Omm, omm, etc.
Jolly well done chaps! :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Another way is to reset the unfurl attribute in the link from unfurl="True" to unfurl="" to avoid this kind of problem.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This engenders a deeply unpleasant wish - that everyone who attends goes down with Covid.

Preferably with plenty of well-documented evidence of non-mask-wearing, mistletoe snogging, groping, unfaithfulness to partners, and a few fights thrown in. Some food poisoning wouldn't go amiss...

Dowden says will not cancel Conservative Christmas party

Oliver Dowden has said he doesn’t plan to cancel the Conservatives’ Christmas party which he said is still planned to take place.

He told BBC Breakfast: “I think it is still planned, and I don’t intend to cancel it as chairman of the Conservative Party.”

The British Medical Association (BMA) has said that people should be encouraged to “avoid large groups” and, where possible, meet outdoors during the festive period.

It comes after Boris Johnson has come under pressure in recent days to explain reports of two No 10 parties during lockdown last winter, one of which was allegedly attended by the prime minister.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As far as I can make out, the current crop of vaccines are not very effective. Those based on mRNA suffer from issue of dosage and too much specificity, requiring new versions to be manufactured each time WHO identifies a variant of concern. Good business model for the producers though.
those based on vector viruses (AZ) suffer additionally risks of blood clotting. Those based on the old method of inactivating live viruses seem to cause least problems but are far from good enough.
As flecc said, we need vaccines that can stop people catching covid in the first place, something that mRNA vaccines cannot possibly do*.

*SW mentioned this in one of his recent post.
It's easy to criticise current vaccines, they aren't as effective as hoped and possibly claimed but let's not lose sight of what they have achieved. We have for a good few months enjoyed essentially normal lives. Old Trafford was full last night. (Football attendance had bounced back above pre covid levels).. Pubs, restaurants etc are functioning fairly normally, kids are at school. No doubt we have many on here who don't put all that down to vaccines but exactly where would we be without them??
I suspect either locked down or with a totally failed NHS.
And, throughout all this it was never claimed vaccine in isolation would return us to normality. Chris Wittty's exact words were "they should do bulk of heavy lifting"...
They aren't perfect but they are all we have. Personally think we should be thankful to those that developed them and got them administered as quick as they did. If I have to have one every 3 months... So what. Taking 6 tablets daily for other stuff.
Suspect next generation will be more efficient.

As for all the conspiracy theorists believing all the rubbish spouted... My youngest grandson is convinced there is a monster under his bed at night. I can explain as much as I like there isn't, he looks and sees there isn't... But he still believes otherwise. He will grow up one day.

An industry has grown supplying the ill informed with spurious, wrong information. SW has only shown the tip of iceberg. Crazy times.
The anti vaxxers I know truly believe they are privvy to the accurate info, Google is corrupt and used to disseminate Government propoganda. Its highly dangerous. No idea what answer is. Its replaced religion as a corrupted belief system.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers