Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I KNEW you were holding out on me about fungi! I've got a book called "Food For Free", but the illustrations are very badly hand drawn, the photos are apalling and there's every chance I'd kill myself if I relied on them to feed myself. I've read that even fungal experts sometimes poison themselves. I do wish I knew more about edible fungibles... Are there nettles out? You can easily survive for a couple of weeks eating nettles, and they're actually the most delicious green I've ever tasted (when picked at the right time) - far nicer than spinach. Plus, nettles have higher protein content.
The ones I mentioned were for starting fires - very definitely not eating! :)

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I really don't want to start a long thread on the Vietnam war. Before 1945, Vietnam was divided into 3 regions with different administrations. French ruled the South (Cochinchina) as a colony, the North (Tonkin) as a protectorate nominally under control of the Vietnamese King in the middle (Annam). The relationship of the indigenous people and the French colonists varied with where they lived.
Ho Chi Minh's war of independence with the French took place essentially in the North whereas the war of re-unification with the Americans took place in the South. To understand why the war of re-unification killed and maimed so many, you need to understand the context.
I, ve agreed with that because its all basically true... But you fail to accept
a) that very partioning of the country you talk of was one of many outcomes from France and its 1945 incursion back into Vietnam
B) Irrespective of any of that, the major contribution to prolonged violence throughout Indo China was predominantly Frances desire of colonialisation of region at a time when the whole world should have known better.
No matter how you assess situation nobody can actually deny France (with our's and other's collusion ) played a major role in the destabilisation of entire region, specifically entire Vietnam, which lasted well into the 70s.
Without France making the aggressive decision to go back into Vietnam the conditions which led to both prolonged wars was unlikely to have developed. Both the partition and subsequent wars of both regions can be traced back to that essentially greedy, all conquering attitude of us Europeans.(actually not the US)
Just think back to the time Woosh. France has just managed to regain control of its homeland by expelling the Germans with help from countries throughout the world. And one of its first major decisions is to re Colonise (or however you want to describe it) a region it had absolutely no Sovereign claim over. That was wrong and along with various other terrible mistakes by US, Australia, Ouselves and France led to one of the most prolonged, nasty wars in history.
You are completely missing role France played.
It played a major roll.
This is my last post on this subject.
Herr Agnew will be spouting. It upsets him when we go off topic.
We will have to agree to disagree.
France played a massive role in initiating Vietnam war.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The video taken just four days after the party in No 10 is going to make it difficult to stick to the line of no rules were broken. ITV have obtained a copy and just shown it on the main evening news, it will be all over the net by now.
Guardian now has a report and link to video.

A rather large "Ooops".

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For some reason, that remained unviewable in your post, but I followed the link. Interesting, but not convinced of real world usefulness.
It'd be perverse if it worked well, and trees were minced to make new piezoelectric tree replicas, to generate electricity waving about in the wind...

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Guardian now has a report and link to video.

A rather large "Ooops".
It's good political attack - "Potentially" illegal mud slung sticks better, makes headlines, keeps making headlines. In a orderly queueing kind of country like the UK, such attacks are (arguably) noted and remembered for longer, than would be elsewhere?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Very interesting - how many hours did that take? Sounds to me like you're well situated for wind power!
Well the 1.1kwhr was the days worth., But in fairness there was only brief breaks in the clouds.... My college actually has a decent power wind turbine ..a 850kw peak power .?. Now I had peripheral responsibility for it, ... But really I had nothing to do with its purchase or commissioning , But it has long ago paid for itself. I did on the other hand develop and run an entire Masters in Renewable Energy.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well the 1.1kwhr was the days worth., But in fairness there was only brief breaks in the clouds.... My college actually has a decent power wind turbine ..a 850kw peak power .?. Now I had peripheral responsibility for it, ... But really I had nothing to do with its purchase or commissioning , But it has long ago paid for itself. I did on the other hand develop and run an entire Masters in Renewable Energy.
Was that Masters popular? Solar cells keep improving efficiency:

...and getting cheaper:

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does that mean I can bring Offler the Crocodile statuette, frying pan, sausages and Primus for devotional services? :cool:
I think it's just us two Pratchett fans on this forum.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Was that Masters popular? Solar cells keep improving efficiency:

...and getting cheaper:

Would very much like to see the use of roads, pavements, etc., as solar cell surfaces. Like roofs, no extra land area used.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I, ve agreed with that because its all basically true... But you fail to accept
a) that very partioning of the country you talk of was one of many outcomes from France and its 1945 incursion back into Vietnam
You have not got it right. 7 countries took part in the 1954 Geneva Conference which agreed on the partition of Vietnam along the 17th parallel. France was pulling out and took no part in the new administrations, North and South. Not only Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia also became independent. The USSR took over from the French in the North, the USA took over from the French in the South.

At that time, Vietnam was not a single country, the North's and South's administrations, economies, government systems, education systems and societies were very different. That why partition made sense. The only common things were the language and the fact that the majority of Vietnamese were subsistence farmers.
Ho Chi Minh knew what he wanted to do, he was a Marxist. The South wanted a multi-party democracy modelled on the French political and legal framework. In 1956, the South Vietnam's government was corrupted by US money and wasn't ready for re-unification election, so the North had a good reason to invade. The war was started.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's good political attack - "Potentially" illegal mud slung sticks better, makes headlines, keeps making headlines. In a orderly queueing kind of country like the UK, such attacks are (arguably) noted and remembered for longer, than would be elsewhere?
How many parties do you think they held?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Would very much like to see the use of roads, pavements, etc., as solar cell surfaces. Like roofs, no extra land area used.
Solar panels are now extremely low cost ... The retail price for a 340 w peak power unit ... 36 v at about 10 amps is about 140 euro plus vat. The fittings .. brackets ,rails, roof mounting waterproof boots add up a bit more so could be maybe 220 euro .. . I would see every south ,east and west facing roof should have them . There is a suggestion that in rural areas , obviously the piggery and the barn and the equipment hanger should be festooned, but also in the fields also. If they are spaced in rows about 10% coverage, with plenty of space for machinery to traverse and at a height, they don't interfere with crop growth and animals eg sheep, goats, poultry can live below them. If anything the crop growth is facilitated because all the water is absorbed by the ground, the hottest part of the sun is shaded, and the lesser early and evening sun gets to the plants. More of the moisture is retained in the soil.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I did on the other hand develop and run an entire Masters in Renewable Energy.
I developed an ran an entire strategy to chew my way through a chocolate Santa Clause last night. I started at the head and worked my way down to the feet where the chocolate shell is thicker. A sort of, best until last, strategy.

Has the windmill repaid its carbon debt? All of the steel production, rolling, fabrication, transport and installation must have given the plant a fair hit. Then there’s the concrete for the foundation. All of that blasting, clearing up, crushing, heating and transport to make the cement alone must result in a significant carbon release. And then there’s the aggregate………. And then….

Has the windmill off-set all of this? Will it ever off-set it before it’s ******?

Advertisers