Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Clearly you haven't been to Yorkshire!
The population up on windy ridge only come out to mate when the sun shines thus the population is in decline, further exacerbated by the local dialect being mostly old Norse spoken in a high wind, which limits romantic encounters.
When I saw Boris dressed up as a policeman somehow it reminded me some characters I have visited up there.
An old Norse legend tells of a mighty gale from the south in England - those too weak to hang on ended up in the North; easily conquered. Don't blame me, it's an old Norse legend!

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are you actually trying to tell us France did not repossess Vietnam in 1945/46...You are deluded if you think so. They did. Its a fact.
I have a pretty good knowledge of this particular period of history.
If I could say honestly, your understanding of this part of world is superficial.
There is a book written by Graham Greene on this period, The Quiet American, it was pretty close to describing the role of the USA in kicking the French out of Indochina.
The proper Vietnam war happened after 1956 and intensified under JFK. France has left by then, its main presence then was just the embassy in HCMC and a few privately run schools.
Dien Bien Phu was the last attempt to keep Indochina under French control.
Don't try to link the war of independence to the war of re-unification. They were fought for different reasons, on a very different scale and involved very different armies.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
An old Norse legend tells of a mighty gale from the south in England - those too weak to hang on ended up in the North; easily conquered. Don't blame me, it's an old Norse legend!
The remark I made about Old Norse is in fact true, as far across as Wensleydale there have been cases where visitors from Scandinavian countries have found that they can understand what local farmers are saying to them in their own language and vice versa.
This seems remarkable to the rest of us who usually avoid trouble by agreeing with the farmer and as the locals say "legging it at the first opportunity"
Dialects in Yorkshire change something like every twenty miles or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan and guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And for our next performance: The Stealth Omicron

Or maybe it isn't omicron, could be another variant of concern. Or not. Cannot be determined by standard public health PCR testing.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have a pretty good knowledge of this particular period of history.
If I could say honestly, your understanding of this part of world is superficial.
There is a book written by Graham Greene on this period, The Quiet American, it was pretty close to describing the role of the USA in kicking the French out of Indochina.
The proper Vietnam war happened after 1956 and intensified under JFK. France has left by then, its main presence then was just the embassy in HCMC and a few privately run schools.
Dien Bien Phu was the last attempt to keep Indochina under French control.
Don't try to link the war of independence to the war of re-unification. They were fought for different reasons, on a very different scale and involved very different armies.
Well don't try and down play the part French played in the hostilities. They were instrumental in them. And, yes, I, ve read quite a bit about Vietnam war(admittedly quite an old take on it now (Ken Burns, book from documentaries) ... But I haven't any bias one way or another. You seem to see anything the French do as admirable and for altruistic reasons. There is a link between the 1945 reoccupation and the later problems. Seeing them in isolation doesn't see the whole picture. It's exactly like separating WW1 and WW2, (one led and had serious effects on other)
You didn't answer the question.
What were French doing in 1945/6 anywhere near Vietnam. Reassumming their roll as masters of "French Indo China" perhaps. The clue is in the name.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And for our next performance: The Stealth Omicron

Or maybe it isn't omicron, could be another variant of concern. Or not. Cannot be determined by standard public health PCR testing.
Stats coming out of SA suggesting it is much less severe??? Or are they saying that to open up travel and put us all in same boat. (which we are anyway)
AZ saying they have Omicron vaccine at trials stage.??

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Does that mean I can bring Offler the Crocodile statuette, frying pan, sausages and Primus for devotional services? :cool:
You can go where you want with sausages... Must be free range tho.
Kids won't know what a Primus is... Something out a science fiction film.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not been in the West of Ireland then?.
I've never been to the Emerald Isle at all, but I hope to someday. I'm sure that like Wales it's picturesque, dramatic, and also features raindrops flying at ear-filling trajectories. I can't recall that old Norse legend about the West of Ireland at the moment ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What were French doing in 1945/6 anywhere near Vietnam. Reassumming their roll as masters of "French Indo China" perhaps. The clue is in the name.
I really don't want to start a long thread on the Vietnam war. Before 1945, Vietnam was divided into 3 regions with different administrations. French ruled the South (Cochinchina) as a colony, the North (Tonkin) as a protectorate nominally under control of the Vietnamese King in the middle (Annam). The relationship of the indigenous people and the French colonists varied with where they lived.
Ho Chi Minh's war of independence with the French took place essentially in the North whereas the war of re-unification with the Americans took place in the South. To understand why the war of re-unification killed and maimed so many, you need to understand the context.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Kids won't know what a Primus is...
I know them well. But I'd never willingly use one nowadays.

I'd choose petrol or gas. I hate the smell of paraffin. And the standard approach to lighting a Primus requires a second fuel. (I know you can use various forms of solid fuel, or even paper and paraffin.)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I know them well. But I'd never willingly use one nowadays.

I'd choose petrol or gas. I hate the smell of paraffin. And the standard approach to lighting a Primus requires a second fuel. (I know you can use various forms of solid fuel, or even paper and paraffin.)
If (when) storms increase in severity, I'm starting to wonder what I'd do to survive a couple of weeks without power. I expect I'd keep my phone charged using my ebike battery, to order takeaways from outside the blacked out area, to eat while clad head to toe in duvets. Plus I'd thaw out some frozen beans, and sprout more beans - the taps will still work, if water hasn't frozen in the pipes. Maybe I could fashion a rudimentary generator for lighting, using the ebike motor, powered by tap water pressure...

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If (when) storms increase in severity, I'm starting to wonder what I'd do to survive a couple of weeks without power. I expect I'd keep my phone charged using my ebike battery, to order takeaways from outside the blacked out area, to eat while clad head to toe in duvets.
I'd be concerned that there will be no phone service. Especially after we switch to VOIP-based "landline" service - just waiting to be advised when that is happening - router already being used - just needs phone re-plugged.

I cannot believe that BT and Three/EE/etc. would be able to keep broadband (e.g. fibre) or 3G/4G/5G working that long. Getting a UPS for the router might not help much.

The old, old option of a gas fire isn't always possible. And probably the vast majority of us have no fireplaces.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd be concerned that there will be no phone service. Especially after we switch to VOIP-based "landline" service - just waiting to be advised when that is happening - router already being used - just needs phone re-plugged.

I cannot believe that BT and Three/EE/etc. would be able to keep broadband (e.g. fibre) or 3G/4G/5G working that long. Getting a UPS for the router might not help much.

The old, old option of a gas fire isn't always possible. And probably the vast majority of us have no fireplaces.
When the pandemic started off my doomsday prepping mindset, and after I had bought rather a lot of a large variety of beans (they don't electricity or gas to sprout), my thoughts turned to hastily improvised heaters using tin cans - if you have a few sizes which fit inside each other, and make cuts in the rightplaces... plus pop rivet and clay together a flue... all you''d need is rather a lot of small bits of dry wood (and a paving slab base). I haven't needed to enact my tin can fireplace plan yet. There are some very interesting looking small woodburning stoves for camping on Amazon.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Those VOIP landlines are a ripoff - get one for free:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

A few Tesla power packs for the house might be a good idea for the intensely stormy future then? You'd be able to charge your ebike to collect takeout orders, pickups are usually discounted.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

When I was working for a large generator company, it was shocking how often radio mast generators ran out of fuel. These days they monitor themselves and report when they need refuelling - at least, that was the plan back then, 24 years ago. I thought that I'd finally got an excuse to order a helicopter to deliver a repacement generator to a radio mast in the outer hebrides one night, when there was no other way by boat and lorry, but my plan was nixxed by the operations department during a late night phone call. "Nice try", he said. Gutting.

I expect diesel generator fuel supply for radio masts is better than it was then, but might not be. Development of those systems was extremely slow.

Last edited:

Advertisers