Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What gets me so often is the apparent pride in being ignorant.
It's a very English and possibly British thing, and it's a function of our education system.

All of us who have very young children or knowledge of them know how hungry they are to learn, a process that starts even before they leave the womb. Once they have speech the questions they badger us with never stop, an endless stream of inquiry. But somehow our schools all too often seem to progressively kill off their curiosity.

I believe a major problem is starting them in school too early, 5 was too early and today's 4 years old far too early. A glance at the table of the best educated countries shown that those who start their children at 6 or even 7 years do best, whilst we in Britain languish very low in the table.

It's a very complex subject but once better understood it can be seen that more is not necessarily better, it's the nature of the more that counts, often against.

Reactions: Zlatan and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's a very English and possibly British thing, and it's a function of our education system.

All of us who have very young children or knowledge of them know how hungry they are to learn, a process that starts even before they leave the womb. Once they have speech the questions they badger us with never stop, an endless stream of inquiry. But somehow our schools all too often seem to progressively kill off their curiosity.

I believe a major problem is starting them in school too early, 5 was too early and today's 4 years old far too early. A glance at the table of the best educated countries shown that those who start their children at 6 or even 7 years do best, whilst we in Britain languish very low in the table.

It's a very complex subject but once better understood it can be seen that more is not necessarily better, it's the nature of the more that counts, often against.
I think I was rather the other way - I felt I should know things and suffered from embarrassment and awkwardness when I didn't know whatever.

Nowadays, I find it easy to say that I don't know something. But I'd still rather actually know.

Reactions: Zlatan

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
There is a hassle factor but there is also a genuine health concern associated with booster jabs.
Every time you get a booster jab, your immune system is stimulated.
One more cycle may be OK for most people but repeated boosters? No.
For some, there is a risk to cause blood clots, and for most, there is an issue of overstimulating the immune system.
Interesting new article with lots of information regarding this:
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2021/12/28/coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shot-health-effects.aspx

"... In other words, we're looking at a horrible tradeoff. You may get some protection against SARS-CoV-2 and its variants, but you're weakening your overall immune function, which opens the door wide to all sorts of other health problems, from bacterial, fungal and viral infections to cancer and autoimmunity..."

As usual with these, they are only available for a limited time - 40 hrs from the time of me posting the link - so read/download while you can.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
booster time :p dont delay or you could die today :p

DSC_0139_02.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I was rather the other way - I felt I should know things and suffered from embarrassment and awkwardness when I didn't know whatever.
But was that at under 5 years, or were you just like most small kids from 2 years up, just asking questions all the time?

I think the embarrassment thing tends to be in the primary and secondary school years when ones peers can be very cruel, so we learn defensiveness.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interesting new article with lots of information regarding this:
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2021/12/28/coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shot-health-effects.aspx

"... In other words, we're looking at a horrible tradeoff. You may get some protection against SARS-CoV-2 and its variants, but you're weakening your overall immune function, which opens the door wide to all sorts of other health problems, from bacterial, fungal and viral infections to cancer and autoimmunity..."

As usual with these, they are only available for a limited time - 40 hrs from the time of me posting the link - so read/download while you can.
I am heartily sick of trying to interpret the basic words used.

Half the time Mercola (and many others) are flogging products claimed to boost our immune systems. The other half they are flogging products that are claimed to help with immune systems that have been boosted too much.

If someone is posting something for MY benefit, the least they could do is leave it online long enough. It is a sales ploy. When I make documents available, they are left there pretty much forever - or until they become out of date. I am not trying to make anything (money or kudos) - just help people find the information they want and need.

"Should you develop symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection, remember there are safe and effective early treatment protocols, including the I-MASK+18 and I-MATH+,19 protocols, which are available for download on the COVID Critical Care website in multiple languages."

So safe, so effective. 'Tis a miracle that anyone who believes ever dies.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But was that at under 5 years, or were you just like most small kids from 2 years up, just asking questions all the time?

I think the embarrassment thing tends to be in the primary and secondary school years when ones peers can be very cruel, so we learn defensiveness.
It was meant very generally, and I don't want to go into my details. There were reasons and it started before primary school.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was meant very generally, and I don't want to go into my details. There were reasons and it started before primary school.
Understood and appreciated.

My position is judging from an all kids perspective and not in any way including my own experiences.

Based on the latter I'd be proposing the instant permanent closure of all schools.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I wonder if we will have to do the same thing as the Americans and reduce our isolation time to 5 days, due to the amount of people that will be off due to Omicron in the next few weeks?

Johnson has trapped himself in a corner with his behaviour so he can't introduce any more restrictions so has to hope for the best. Some how, and I am not sure how, he always seems to get out of the mess he gets himself in will it be the same this time?

It helps of course that he has almost all the press helping him and they lie on his behalf almost as he himself does.

Covid: US halves isolation time for asymptomatic infection - BBC News

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if we will have to do the same thing as the Americans and reduce our isolation time to 5 days, due to the amount of people that will be off due to Omicron in the next few weeks?

Johnson has trapped himself in a corner with his behaviour so he can't introduce any more restrictions so has to hope for the best. Some how, and I am not sure how, he always seems to get out of the mess he gets himself in will it be the same this time?

It helps of course that he has almost all the press helping him and they lie on his behalf almost as he himself does.

Covid: US halves isolation time for asymptomatic infection - BBC News
He'll probably be lucky again.

I still firmly believe that Covid has been grossly overhyped, and never more so than with the omicron variant.

Everywhere there are people making gloomy predictions based on nothing other than pessimism.

Plus obvious propaganda with not a shred of evidence in support, such as alleged statements by nurses or doctors allegedly working in ICUs etc

Lies about numerous younger people dying of Covid.

At the annual rate of Covid deaths of the first two years, it would take over 911 years to wipe out our population.

Think about that, nearly a thousand years IF all of us were as vulnerable. But of course we aren't all remotely as vulnerable as those mostly older people who've died, so we couldn't even be wiped out in ten thousand years.

The hysteria needs to stop.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan and Nev

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
If someone is posting something for MY benefit, the least they could do is leave it online long enough. It is a sales ploy. When I make documents available, they are left there pretty much forever - or until they become out of date. I am not trying to make anything (money or kudos) - just help people find the information they want and need.
I'm afraid you seem to be unaware of the situation.
Up until a few months ago, Mercola had an archive of something like over twenty years worth of very useful articles freely available online, for exactly the purpose you are advocating - "just help people find the information they want and need"

However certain people in the US government started a campaign to censor, deplatform and even threaten people who were ... and get this ... providing information that could help people protect themselves naturally from Covid!!

We aren't sure what level of threats have been directed to Joe Mercola personally, but as a workaround, he has had to pull all articles from his site that discuss things like Vitamin D, C, Zinc etc (in fact, I think he might just have had to delete the whole archive), and any new articles that get published only remain up for a very limited time before they are erased. However there is a pdf button available and people are advised to download them - he's even removed copyright restrictions and made the articles public domain so they can be freely distributed. (and these articles are not sales pitches and don't contain links to any products!)
This isn't of his own choosing. Far from it.

This censorship and suppression of free speech and debate should raise HUGE alarm bells with everyone - regardless of whether you agree with what's being discussed or not. This is how totalitarian regimes operate. People need to wake up to what is already happening out there.

Don't know anything about this site, but this article seems to have the explanation as to what happened:
https://thewatchtowers.org/mercola-vs-free-speech-demonized-censored-slandered-browbeat-threatened/

• Disagree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'm afraid you seem to be unaware of the situation.
Up until a few months ago, Mercola had an archive of something like over twenty years worth of very useful articles freely available online, for exactly the purpose you are advocating - "just help people find the information they want and need"

However certain people in the US government started a campaign to censor, deplatform and even threaten people who were ... and get this ... providing information that could help people protect themselves naturally from Covid!!

We aren't sure what level of threats have been directed to Joe Mercola personally, but as a workaround, he has had to pull all articles from his site that discuss things like Vitamin D, C, Zinc etc (in fact, I think he might just have had to delete the whole archive), and any new articles that get published only remain up for a very limited time before they are erased. However there is a pdf button available and people are advised to download them - he's even removed copyright restrictions and made the articles public domain so they can be freely distributed. (and these articles are not sales pitches and don't contain links to any products!)
This isn't of his own choosing. Far from it.

This censorship and suppression of free speech and debate should raise HUGE alarm bells with everyone - regardless of whether you agree with what's being discussed or not. This is how totalitarian regimes operate. People need to wake up to what is already happening out there.

Don't know anything about this site, but this article seems to have the explanation as to what happened:
https://thewatchtowers.org/mercola-vs-free-speech-demonized-censored-slandered-browbeat-threatened/
Mercola is, always has been and always will be an arse-hole. He is Not a trained doctor, neither is he qualified to comment on epidemiology...
Amazing isn't it GI, of all the thousands of real virologist you quote and follow Mercola..
He is a proven quack..
His articles disappear for a reason. Its false news, mis information.
His following just serves to prove the stupidity of social media and all its inherent faults.
Like I said last time you quoted him, there are lots of people believe we live on a flat earth. Mercola posting about virology is like one of those commenting on navigation.
You supply his links not because they offer enlightenment but because it agrees with your narrative. That is not research GI. It's bias and prejudice.
Yes, we should be allowed free speech but not when it's sole purpose is to spread dangerous false hoods.And, perhaps if people used rather more discretion and didn't continually quote such lunatics we wouldn't need to close down his utterances. It's to protect the weak minded.
I wouldn't believe a word he says, but like all charlatans he uses elements of truth to draw you in. Just leave him out of it GI.
Honestly GI, he is a con man.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Which will dovetail very neatly with:

It comes as PCR tests are taking up to five days for results in Scotland and a shortage of lateral flow tests in England threaten New Year’s Eve plans.

I foresee us being told to stay in isolation for five days - but not knowing (for sure) until after that period ends. Leaving people wholly uncertain whether or not to continue with isolation.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

My position is judging from an all kids perspective and not in any way including my own experiences.

Based on the latter I'd be proposing the instant permanent closure of all schools.
As my grandsons grow older I become more convinced than ever school is just so inappropriate for them. Didn't think it so much with my 2 daughters..???
Long long process for kids who don't like school.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We aren't sure what level of threats have been directed to Joe Mercola personally, but as a workaround, he has had to pull all articles from his site that discuss things like Vitamin D, C, Zinc etc (in fact, I think he might just have had to delete the whole archive), and any new articles that get published only remain up for a very limited time before they are erased.
It is impossible to separate out Mercola's business interests from these documents.

By appearing to take on the establishment, he will be appealing to certain groups.

I have been aware of Mercola for many years and I'm afraid that I became less and less convinced of anything he said.

He slates other people for being rich - despite appearing to be with considerably more than 100 million dollars himself.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like we are set up for a huge experiment. NI, S and W restricting and E not.
England can’t bring in any new restriction, even if it is known that they are desperately needed.
I don't see it as an English experiment. As 85% of the UK we have set the standard, judging more restrictions aren't needed yet, if at all. I agree with that on the evidence at present.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together the remaining 15%, are choosing to experiment.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Not going to get embroiled in this but a colleague of mine had a slogan on the wall of his office ..." If you think Education is expensive , try Ignorance"

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not going to get embroiled in this but a colleague of mine had a slogan on the wall of his office ..." If you think Education is expensive , try Ignorance"
But there is an assumption education happens at schools. It doesn't. Education is rather more than learning.
And quite often the most ignorant have had the most education,or think they have.

Advertisers