Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On the contrary , the fan sucks air into a leaky bag via the filter. Since the bag is now slightly above room pressure it will stop potentially virus laden air seeping in a 12v fan running at half voltage will provide about 40 cfm into a static head of a few mm of water pressure. And drawing less than a watt. So yes it needs a buffer volume ..which can be the hose. Not saying that a sub aqua mask is a bad idea, or demand valves in the mouth but the pressure differential in an atmospheric pressure zone is much less difficult than underwater
I like it! The leaky bag would work until an anti-vaxxer driven mad(der) by low blood oxygen levels in the brain bumps into you, squeezing the leaky bag flat and pushing viruses in through the holes, some of which may remain to be inhaled when the bag is inflated again by the fan (I think you may be underestimating the power required by the fan to push through the filter), therefore a bag covered in very small valves to keep air from entering via anywhere other than the fan inlet, might be wiser?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not going to get embroiled in this but a colleague of mine had a slogan on the wall of his office ..." If you think Education is expensive , try Ignorance"
And in addition to Zlatan's reply that I agree with, there's the fact that the educationally ignorant often become the richest in our societies, and that has very long been the case.

While not including myself as ignorant, after just 7 years of appallingly bad schools and expulsion at 14, I enjoyed a successful and mostly affluent life, retiring in my early 50s with enough money to enjoy life to the full spending my time on my interests.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But isn't Xmas depression disorder just a complete bitch, catastrophically worse than sunday neurosis or major depression. Unresolvable, I've concluded in my early fifties, either one self destruct as part of throwing oneself at life's fugly business, or one retire and disengage (and is left having interminable arguments about brexit on fora). We're all screwed (and the virus is the least of it).
The inaccuracy is the most depressing part of it all... Jesus was born in the Spring. There's no point in asking Jesus, he'd have to ask his Dad - 25th December helped defeat the Druids. So depressing.

Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But isn't Xmas depression disorder just a complete bitch, catastrophically worse than sunday neurosis or major depression. Unresolvable, I've concluded in my early fifties, either one self destruct as part of throwing oneself at life's fugly business, or one retire and disengage (and is left having interminable arguments about brexit on fora). We're all screwed (and the virus is the least of it).
THE CHRISTIANS HIJACKED A PAGAN FESTIVAL! That's where the lights in the trees come from, they represent tree spirits. So depressing... The Druids never wrote anything down. All dead. :confused:

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But there is an assumption education happens at schools. It doesn't. Education is rather more than learning.
And quite often the most ignorant have had the most education,or think they have.
No.. both . Learning is what happens by the individual , whether at playground, School, behind the bicycle shed , in the pub the workplace or the football field. Education is the directed activity by the teacher to get learning happening.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I like it! The leaky bag would work until an anti-vaxxer driven mad(der) by low blood oxygen levels in the brain bumps into you, squeezing the leaky bag flat and pushing viruses in through the holes, some of which may remain to be inhaled when the bag is inflated again by the fan (I think you may be underestimating the power required by the fan to push through the filter), therefore a bag covered in very small valves to keep air from entering via anywhere other than the fan inlet, might be wiser?
... Your brain crazed antivaxxer, is more likely to pull the mask off the nurse and plant a big wet kiss...

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan and guerney

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No.. both . Learning is what happens by the individual , whether at playground, School, behind the bicycle shed , in the pub the workplace or the football field. Education is the directed activity by the teacher to get learning happening.
I always smile when someone assumes they know what is meant by education.
That's your take on it. Thanks.
Education, I can assure you, often takes place both without teachers and often in spite of them.
Once had to take under my wing a lad who had never ventured into until he was 14.
In some respects he was most learned, best educated kid I, d met. In others he was like a 4 Yr old.??? Unbelievably Street wise. Well educated??Not in our world.. In his I couldn't compete. More worldly wise than you and I put together.
Sometimes education happens in a way we wish it hadn't. Kids playing system to a degree which makes us look silly... Ask them to read something... And they struggle.
Who is best educated. A kid that can work system to his/her advantage or one that can read fluently???
One that can break into and start any car you name within a minute or so or one that knows algebra.???
I had 32 years in education and never figured it out. Perhaps I had a poor education with my degrees and diplomas.???

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Note the secondary meaning of the word education, self learning through experience also being education:
  1. 2.
    an enlightening experience.
    "Petrus is a good workman—it is an education to watch him"
Definitions from Oxford Languages

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Education, I can assure you, often takes place both without teachers and often in spite of them.
Once had to take under my wing a lad who had never ventured into until he was 14.
In some respects he was most learned, best educated kid I, d met. In others he was like a 4 Yr old.??? Unbelievably Street wise. Well educated??Not in our world.. In his I couldn't compete. More worldly wise than you and I put together.
Sometimes education happens in a way we wish it hadn't. Kids playing system to a degree which makes us look silly... Ask them to read something... And they struggle.
Who is best educated. A kid that can work system to his/her advantage or one that can read fluently???
One that can break into and start any car you name within a minute or so or one that knows algebra.???
I had 32 years in education and never figured it out. Perhaps I had a poor education with my degrees and diplomas.???
Lets make it simple ... You can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink ... The horse drinking water is the learning.. guiding the horse down to the waters edge is educating from that old Latin .. a good educator helps by breaking the matter unto digestible lumps. .. Like opening up a hay bale and using a pitchfork to make the piles bite sized.
So agricultural similes aside, that is my final word on this subject.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
that is my final word on this subject.
You are learning.
The lad I mentioned had spent 2 days a week with his dad... Painting and decorating... 1 day a week with his grandad on allotment...??? School couldn't compete on education...perhaps on teaching him to read... But that's barely education... Just a tool for helping it.
And breaking things into component parts is a teaching/coaching strategy.(and can be a terrible one) Not necessarily education.
But agreed, as you said.. My last word on this topic also. For now.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't see it as an English experiment. As 85% of the UK we have set the standard, judging more restrictions aren't needed yet, if at all. I agree with that on the evidence at present.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together the remaining 15%, are choosing to experiment.
It is a de facto experiment, regardless of your take on who made what decisions that resulted in it happening.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I don't see it as an English experiment. As 85% of the UK we have set the standard, judging more restrictions aren't needed yet, if at all. I agree with that on the evidence at present.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together the remaining 15%, are choosing to experiment.
England may have 85% of UK population but it only comprises 25% of what is supposed to be a Union of equals.

I don't see it as an experiment either, I see it as the administrations in 75% of the Union not suffering political pressure from the CRG nutters, and are doing what they feel is best for their populations.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Pagans did XXXmas right! Mistletoe is also pagan - it doesn't digest and hangs out of bird's bottoms covered in slime, thus spreading seeds over a wide area... Slimy seeds then drop and stick to tree trunks absorbing nutrients, before eventually falling to the earth to set roots - represents semen, fertility. The pagan tradition might not have stopped at kissing? Damned Druids are dead and damned to an unexpected Christian hell... so depressing... we shall never know without resorting to seances :eek::confused::mad::(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
... Your brain crazed antivaxxer, is more likely to pull the mask off the nurse and plant a big wet kiss...
They're much more likely to do so, with nurses donning fun skin coloured two bag systems worn at chest height, with single valves pointed forward :oops:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No good deed goes unpunished! Did you ever discover money was missing from your wallet? Do you know what became of your scamp?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think folk are lying to you SW. It's like when some Conservative mp gets in at a Labour constituency. You can't find anyone that says they voted for them. "no, I voted Labour"...

Stick your post code in here and see what uptake actually is. Yep, there are areas of London and Birmingham with lowish up takes but I doubt anywhere with as you claim
"nobody"..
Perhaps people saying what you want to hear??
Go get jabbed matey.
Alarmingly low double jabbed plus boosted in some areas - I mean... approx 34% in some local-ish places! Omicron will indeed run rampant.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No good deed goes unpunished! Did you ever discover money was missing from your wallet? Do you know what became of your scamp?
Works for Park authority...(allotment experience?) And yes plenty of misdeeds along way.

Seen reports Charlie Drake has banned the words"Brexit" and "Her Majesty"..
Could make this thread awkward.. If the insanity spreads to England.. Could be lies to discredit Charlie I suppose.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Works for Park authority...(allotment experience?) And yes plenty of misdeeds along way.

Seen reports Charlie Drake has banned the words"Brexit" and "Her Majesty"..
Could make this thread awkward.. If the insanity spreads to England.. Could be lies to discredit Charlie I suppose.
Isn't he dead?

Advertisers