Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Allegedly. While refusing to condemn Russia. Putin kissing babies come to mind
Edit - to be fair to the generous, altruistic chap, he did specify that all "net proceeds" of the sale would go to a charitable foundation. Reminded me of corporations that, through no fault of their own, remain unprofitable (all those expenses) and so do not have to pay corporation tax.
How more biased can you be, there's no allegedly about it. He's handed the club and its assets to the charitable foundation. And to imply what you have about profitability is bigotry when he is not calling in any of the substantial loans he's made to the club. They've become a gift, profit which will go to all the victims of the war, even without counting the probable 2 billions in addition that the club will sell for.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How more biased can you be, there's no allegedly about it. He's handed the club and its assets to the charitable foundation. And to imply what you have about profitability is bigotry when he is not calling in any of the substantial loans he's made to the club. They've become a gift, profit which will go to all the victims of the war, even without counting to probable 2 billions in addition that the club will sell for.
If it turns out that there really is a sizeable net profit to go to the victims of the war, then it does appear generous.

The wording also allows that some of the money could go to families in Russia, or to Russian veterans, etc. I'm not going to say that is wrong, especially those who ended up as just cannon fodder, but I do think we need to know a bit more.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How times change, in a week.
Guardian advocating massive increase in defence budgets.
NATO has now to ratchet up a bit to tell Russia that it will defend civil population of Western Ukraine with a no fly air corridor. Increases in defense spending is not the answer, only mutual self destruction can persuade Putin that he's not winning.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it turns out that there really is a sizeable net profit to go to the victims of the war, then it does appear generous.

The wording also allows that some of the money could go to families in Russia, or to Russian veterans, etc. I'm not going to say that is wrong, especially those who ended up as just cannon fodder, but I do think we need to know a bit more.
There will be a huge net profit since he's written off the massive loans he's made to the club, so no payback from the probable 2 billion the club will sell for.

And yes, the payments are for ALL victims of the war, and since it will be this UK based charitable foundation making them, I think we should have a good chance of fairness.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
NATO has now to ratchet up a bit to tell Russia that it will defend civil population of Western Ukraine with a no fly air corridor. Increases in defense spending is not the answer, only mutual self destruction can persuade Putin that he's not winning.
I agree with that, but long term policies are already changing. There has been more change in attitudes, commitments and opinions in past week than previous 20 years.
But I don't think we will see NATO even policing a corridor. Putin might accept Chinese peace keepers on ground but a corridor would require NATO Javelins and Stingers plus air cover. Don't think that will happen but none of us can really predict.
Predicting responses in time of war is at best unreliable. It's the nature of conflict.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Turkey really has manipulated itself into a contradictory position on many fronts. Upset NATO and Russia..
It was inevitable since they've long said they were neutral on Western and Russian relations.

Thus they are NATO members while President Erdogan as a kindred spirit is a personal friend of Vladimir Putin.

Thus they block all warships entry to the Black Sea during the present conflict but Erdogan promotes his canal scheme which would give Russia two ways to enter or exit the Black Sea instead of just the Bosphorus.

But as I posted before, this is all a fuss about nothing. Turkey cannot block the Russian southern fleet ships from returning to their Black Sea base, so it's only others that are banned from entry. The USA's and ours for example.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Turkey cannot block the Russian southern fleet ships from returning to their Black Sea base, so it's only others that are banned from entry. The USA's and ours for example.
I read that some of the Russian ships which had been intended to go to the Black Sea were not assigned to a Black Sea port - hence could be blocked by Turkey.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I read that some of the Russian ships which had been intended to go to the Black Sea were not assigned to a Black Sea port - hence could be blocked by Turkey.
I read the link twice and still couldn't work out what implication rule actually has.
The odd thing to me was a NATO member in theory defending our Southern flank (articles words not mine) do so with Russian anti aircraft missile systems.. Perhaps fitted with friend from foe differentiation... But set which way?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Think Starmer, despite everything I, ve said in past about him, has got my vote this week. Thought he was good in PMQ and his stance on this has been good. First time for years HoC actually seemed united.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One thing which surprises me in all of this is Why is Kyiv etc all lit up at night?

Surely it would be easier to defend if A, The enemy had to find it in the dark and B. Most of the defending forces probably know their way around the city in the dark far better than the invading army.

I know it was mainly useful against air strikes but even in WW2 blackouts of populated areas were an effective weapon to confuse the enemy.

TTFN
John.
The world is so different now. Then there were standard compasses with maybe 5 degrees of accuracy, and location was by triangulation from a few Radio frequencies and directional antennas So blackouts made sense. Now with GPS , accuracy is to a few metres. If anything the bright lights assist the defender. Raiders would be using cover of dark and night vision specs. Lights mean that the defenders can see them. If you are crouched and with a sea of lights behind you and your attacker is coming at you from the dark they cannot see you in the glare, and you can see thrm.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've not verified this but quite an interesting development.

TTFN
John.
If I were Putin, I'd consider assassination my single biggest threat. Whether by physical, chemical, radio-active element, or other means. Polonium 210 would seem a singularly appropriate weapon.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Funny or not, but that is exactly what crossed my mind when I heard it on the BBC.

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Flecc.. The significant difference is that the UN Council has accepted that there is a War, with Russia being one of the Belligerents and that changes the rules of passage

There are many many aspects of this invasion which I find puzzling, .. . There could be a significant power struggle inside the Kremlin , with the Navy and the Air force not onside. I picked up a story , of course unproven, that the Cheynian Commando Assassination teams sent to Kyiv were wiped out.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Flecc.. The significant difference is that the UN Council has accepted that there is a War, with Russia being one of the Belligerents and that changes the rules of passage

There are many many aspects of this invasion which I find puzzling, .. . There could be a significant power struggle inside the Kremlin , with the Navy and the Air force not onside. I picked up a story , of course unproven, that the Cheynian Commando Assassination teams sent to Kyiv were wiped out.
Font of all truth, the Mail, says:

Disaffected Russian FSB agents 'tipped off Ukraine about Chechen hit squad sent to kill Zelensky before assassins were 'neutralised'
  • Oleksiy Danilov, Ukraine's Secretary of the National Security and Defence Council, said the unit 'which came to kill our President, was eliminated'
  • Earlier today, Ramzan Kadyrov - the strongman leader of Chechnya - said that Chechens have been killed in Moscow's invasion of Ukraine
  • 'We are already aware of the special operation that was to be carried out by Kadyrov forces unit,' Danilov said on Ukraine 24 TV channel
  • He added: 'The Kadyrov forces unit, which came to kill our President, was eliminated'

Very interesting - if true. I'll keep wearing my sceptacles.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

I, ve been shocked at lack of air power Russia seems to be utilising but they over flew Swedish Air space (Got Island?) this morning. (which is a disputed territory according to Russians)??

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I, ve been shocked at lack of air power Russia seems to be utilising but they over flew Swedish Air space (Got Island?) this morning. (which is a disputed territory according to Russians)??
Swedish defence minister calls Russian violation of airspace 'unacceptable'

Advertisers