Brexit, for once some facts.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Probably already been done to death somewhere in previous pages of this thread but.....

Back on the subject of energy prices...

I was paying £41 per month as I had built up quite a surplus. Once the expected price hike became apparent they increased it to £171, I had a mail a few days ago saying from 1st April it was going up to £261.

But what really pi$$es me off is I notice we are being hit with a staggering increase in standing charges. My "daily standing charge" for electricity is going from 23.778p per day to 44.75p Although a small amount when compared with the unit costs WTF do the standing charges have to do with the price of Oil? It's just a sneaky way of circumnavigating the current price CAP IMO.

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But what really pi$$es me off is I notice we are being hit with a staggering increase in standing charges. My "daily standing charge" for electricity is going from 23.778p per day to 44.75p Although a small amount when compared with the unit costs WTF do the standing charges have to do with the price of Oil? It's just a sneaky way of circumnavigating the current price CAP IMO.
Yes there's lots of complaints about this, but it's because the price cap has been set too low for political reasons. With a near certainty of a further huge increase in the Autumn, the daily charge could be a pound or more then if the cap isn't set more realistically relative to world energy prices.

Cheer up though, Boris Johnson has generously said the British will be happy to accept the hardship.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Probably already been done to death somewhere in previous pages of this thread but.....

Back on the subject of energy prices...

I was paying £41 per month as I had built up quite a surplus. Once the expected price hike became apparent they increased it to £171, I had a mail a few days ago saying from 1st April it was going up to £261.

TTFN
John.
£261?!?!?!? Ouch! I guess the energy companies would claim that their operations rely on the price of oil as standing charge "Pays for things like maintenance work and getting gas and electricity to your home "

...when all it really is, is an available route to extra price padding.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Another step...

RT America ceases productions and lays off most of its staff

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"UK Big Six energy firms made more than £1bn in profit ahead of price hike"

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
£261?!?!?!? Ouch! I guess the energy companies would claim that their operations rely on the price of oil as standing charge "Pays for things like maintenance work and getting gas and electricity to your home "

...when all it really is, is an available route to extra price padding.
I think they have hit me due to "historical usage". I admit I do live in a big old (100+ years) house and the plan was always to downsize when we retired.

Sadly Joanne became ill and for over 2 years I cared for her at home and the house was kept very warm (Too warm for me - Think wandering around the house in Budgie Smugglers in December). I got into a big mess with my heating bills due to the incompetence of EON, I was on a broken smart meter, I tried to give meter readings and they ignored them and still sent estimated bills..

After Joanne passed away I clawed it all back over the following 2 years using my own readings while still disputing their figures. Eventually they agreed with me. Since then my payments have been up and down like a Whore's Knickers. Even with the current monthly payments (Since November) I'm £87 in credit so far and coming towards the end of the winter months so while I'll pay their extortionate demand I'm confident I'll be in credit. (At least in the short term until the next price hike in October).

But I'm seriously considering replacing the gas system with a multi fuel system. We had one of these for many years until gas arrived about 10 years ago. Not exactly saving the planet I know and apologies for that, but I do have an endless source of wood from a local joiner and can't push it through my patio heater quickly enough.. If the wood runs out I'll start burning Rubles. Probably cheaper than wood anyway..

Sorry to bore you all with my recent life history.

TTFN
John.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think they have hit me due to "historical usage". I admit I do live in a big old (100+ years) house and the plan was always to downsize when we retired.

Sadly Joanne became ill and for over 2 years I cared for her at home and the house was kept very warm (Too warm for me - Think wandering around the house in Budgie Smugglers in December). I got into a big mess with my heating bills due to the incompetence of EON, I was on a broken smart meter, I tried to give meter readings and they ignored them and still sent estimated bills..

After Joanne passed away I clawed it all back over the following 2 years using my own readings while still disputing their figures. Eventually they agreed with me. Since then my payments have been up and down like a Whore's Knickers. Even with the current monthly payments (Since November) I'm £87 in credit so far and coming towards the end of the winter months so while I'll pay their extortionate demand I'm confident I'll be in credit. (At least in the short term until the next price hike in October).

But I'm seriously considering replacing the gas system with a multi fuel system. We had one of these for many years until gas arrived about 10 years ago. Not exactly saving the planet I know and apologies for that, but I do have an endless source of wood from a local joiner and can't push it through my patio heater quickly enough.. If the wood runs out I'll start burning Rubles. Probably cheaper than wood anyway..

Sorry to bore you all with my recent life history.

TTFN
John.
I'm very sorry to hear about Joanne. Are you still with EON? Has your Smart Meter been fixed? If your usage stats have normalised to resemble your current usage (they always skew stats in their favour, the fiends, their maths is not at all transparent) and you're in credit - when anyone switches to a new provider, quite often historic data isn't transferred, (I never provide it, even to get a quote, because that gets recorded) or it's ignored, therefore you might end up with a clean stats slate if you do switch. For instance, whenever the company I've aimed to keep as my energy provider since 2008 has lost it's supply and admin provider (Ebico is more of a brand, outsourcing admin and buying energy from it's chosen energy partner on a so called "Not-for-profit" basis) and I got thrown to the wolves (British Gas, SSE) and had to claw my way back to Ebico, but only when they eventually formed a new partnership (latterly with Octopus, after Robin Hood went titsup and I ended up getting robbed by the odious British Gas), I started with a clean stats slate and their stats rely on meter readings I provide, because I will never ever consent to having a smart meter installed for a variety of reasons. Not sure if switching is possible right now; I read on another thread that it isn't being allowed in some regions. What I hate about Ebico's new partnership with Octopus, is that payments are by monthly DD only - I've always previously paid by quarterly bill, and only for what I've used and not what some f*cking algorithm says I should pay.

Last edited:

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I'm very sorry to hear about Joanne. Are you still with EON? Has your Smart Meter been fixed? If your usage stats have normalised to resemble your current usage (they always skew stats in their favour, the fiends, their maths is not at all transparent) and you're in credit - when anyone switches to a new provider, quite often historic data isn't transferred, or it's ignored, therefore you might end up with a clean stats slate if you do switch. For instance, whenever the company I've aimed to keep as my energy provider since 2008 has lost it's supply and admin provider (Ebico is more of a brand, outsourcing admin and buying energy from it's chosen energy partner on a so called "Not-for-profit" basis) and I got thrown to the wolves (British Gas, SSE) and had to switch back to Ebico, but only when they eventually formed a new partnership (latterly with Octopus, after Robin Hood went titsup and I ended up getting robbed by the odious British Gas), I started with a clean stats slate and their stats rely on meter readings I provide, because I will never ever consent to having a smart meter installed for a variety of reasons. Not sure if switching is possible right now; I read on another thread that it isn't being allowed in some regions. What I hate about Ebico's new partnership with Octopus, is that payments are by monthly DD only - I've always previously paid by quarterly bill, and only for what I've used and not what some f*cking algorithm says I should pay.
Yes, Still with EON, No longer have a Smart Meter and after the trouble the last one caused I'm unlikely to rush out and request another. We switched to EON when we got the gas supply as at the time it offered a good duel fuel tariff.
As you say switching in today's climate is problematical, probably better to stay with who I am with now, at least for a while. I'm happy sending readings as and when required currently and I take regular readings throughout the periods (I'm a sad old ba$tard). ;) Still working (Retire 31st March). :D I can afford to live here at the moment, I'll have to see how far the pensions stretch and make a decision as appropriate.

But an earlier life of wild camping etc means I have plenty of warm gear should I need to turn the C/H off for a while and the cat has a nice fur coat so I'm sure she won't mind too much. :)

TTFN
John.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've just discovered in Ebico's Terms and Conditions, that if I withdraw my Direct Debit instruction, they will bill me quarterly. I'm going to cancel DD, and attempt to say goodbye to slow changing estimates designed to enrich my energy company. There was no option for quarterly billing at signup. I'm an Ebico customer, not Octopus's, who don't do quarterly bills.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Of course it won't, as I posted Roman said it was specifically for ALL victims, that was always clear. I see nothing wrong in that, soldiers are always victims in war on any side since they dont have the option to say no.

Some of ours tried to say no in WW1 and were shot dead by us. I doubt the Russians would have been more gentle in dealing with refusniks. Nor the Ukrainans who are refusing to let those of 18 or more to leave, insisting they fight. What chance for conscientious objectors?
No flecc.. In your attempt / pretence of being fair you are being disingenuous. The Ukrainian decision is that no male aged over 18 and under 60 may leave the country. There is no requirement for them to join a military unit. Until recently ,..and maybe even now , there was national service for males . I remember making special arrangements for a Ukrainian student who was allowed defer national service about 2008 , so he could complete his engineering studies with us, and then making the accommodation for him when he returned for additional studies about 2012.
What I see the Ukrainian decision is to clarify split loyalties .. It would be extremely difficult for a husband and father to abandon their family at the border .
As I write this there is news emerging of a fire in the largest nuclear power plant in Europe, due to deliberate Russian Shelling. Was this in the Putin plan that we were underestimating or was jt the terrible consequences he promised if he were twarted.
Additionally I had not realised until today how few of the Ukrainian population were vaccinated against Covid.. its 36% ,and this population has been cowering in basements for a week ..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Another step...

RT America ceases productions and lays off most of its staff
I am really conflicted about this type of thing. It is desirable to have contrary viewpoints being aired. RT ,of course was propaganda, but getting a cross section of different propagandas allows one to discern truths.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Last edited:

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Came across this link last night.

I can't verify its accuracy but some interesting articles. (Many are links to other sources).

TTFN
John.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Came across this link last night.

I can't verify its accuracy but some interesting articles. (Many are links to other sources).

TTFN
John.
It is interesting. Have just subscribed (with a securely throw-away email address).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No flecc.. In your attempt / pretence of being fair you are being disingenuous. The Ukrainian decision is that no male aged over 18 and under 60 may leave the country. There is no requirement for them to join a military unit. Until recently ,..and maybe even now , there was national service for males . I remember making special arrangements for a Ukrainian student who was allowed defer national service about 2008 , so he could complete his engineering studies with us, and then making the accommodation for him when he returned for additional studies about 2012.
What I see the Ukrainian decision is to clarify split loyalties .. It would be extremely difficult for a husband and father to abandon their family at the border .
As I write this there is news emerging of a fire in the largest nuclear power plant in Europe, due to deliberate Russian Shelling. Was this in the Putin plan that we were underestimating or was jt the terrible consequences he promised if he were twarted.
Additionally I had not realised until today how few of the Ukrainian population were vaccinated against Covid.. its 36% ,and this population has been cowering in basements for a week ..
You are being disingenuous in reading far too much into my very brief post.

As I ended, "What chance for conscientious objectors?"

Having been forced by the state to remain, I can guess how anyone refusing to fight would be treated, not only then but for many years to follow. Unlike you I'm old enough remember how objectors and even those suspected as being objectors were treated in WW2.

On unjustified suspicion alone my own father suffered it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anyone know the details of the Ukraine refugee scheme? I found this easily enough:

All Ukrainians coming through these schemes will be given leave for at least one year, be allowed to work and have access to public services, she added. Leveling Up Secretary Michael Gove will be placed in charge of the scheme.

But with another hat on, I am expecting some questions about NHS access for refugees. I want to be able to explain exactly what any of them have to do to get needed medicines.

I'm going to carry on looking, just thought it silly not to ask here as some of you have an amazing variety of knowledge.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
He who suggested seasonal agricultural workers' visa for Ukrainian refugees, now:

British immigration minister Kevin Foster has refused appear before a parliamentary committee to explain the country’s response to the growing Ukrainian refugee crisis.

The home affairs committee has urged him to rethink “given the urgency of the situation”.

In a statement it said:

Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Immigration and Future Borders, Kevin Foster MP, has declined an invitation from the Home Affairs Committee to give evidence on the UK’s response to the Ukraine refugee crisis.

The Committee had issued the invitation to understand what the UK was doing to provide support and refuge to people leaving Ukraine following the invasion by Russia. It is estimated that one million people have been displaced by the conflict.

Given the urgency of the situation the Committee has asked the Minister to reconsider.

I thought committees could demand attendance?

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and snafu

Advertisers