Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Demetri・Financial Times @Dimi

SCOOP - Russia has asked China for military equipment and other assistance to support its invasion of Ukraine.

Now why would a so called major power need to that?
It would be interesting to see satellite imagery of just what military power Russia actually has.
When satellite imagery first became available it discovered that their alleged forces were only 50% of those claimed.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Looks like all the papers are, in their various ways, suggesting Putin is showing signs of taking steroids - possibly for cancer. And has had cosmetic procedures for many years.

Will it do any good? Probably not.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The article linked below also mentions the recent talks between both sides seem to hold out some hope of a settlement in the not too distant future. As much as I would like to see Putin completely defeated and to have to go home with his tail between his legs that could possibly mean extremely bad news for us all.

Putin knows that if he is seen to have lost this war it will almost certainly be the end of him, he will either be arrested or murdered so he will do everything he can to prevent this situation. I could easily see him ordering the use of tactical nuclear weapons, these are not the ones that destroy entire cities but are around the size that would completely flatten a football stadium.

If he was to fire a couple of these weapons into some Ukraine military bases with the threat of using more then what could Ukraine and the west do to stop him?

We don't have any tactical nuclear weapons but I think the French do and I imagine the US does as well but if we used them on the Russians Putin would probably ratchet up things again, I think he will do anything to ensure he is not seen to have been defeated, hence my mention in a previous post that he needs a golden ladder to climb down.

Here is the link.
Talks between Russia and Ukraine to resume after deadly attack on military base | Ukraine | The Guardian

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The article linked below also mentions the recent talks between both sides seem to hold out some hope of a settlement in the not too distant future. As much as I would like to see Putin completely defeated and to have to go home with his tail between his legs that could possibly mean extremely bad news for us all.

Putin knows that if he is seen to have lost this war it will almost certainly be the end of him, he will either be arrested or murdered so he will do everything he can to prevent this situation. I could easily see him ordering the use of tactical nuclear weapons, these are not the ones that destroy entire cities but are around the size that would completely flatten a football stadium.

If he was to fire a couple of these weapons into some Ukraine military bases with the threat of using more then what could Ukraine and the west do to stop him?

We don't have any tactical nuclear weapons but I think the French do and I imagine the US does as well but if we used them on the Russians Putin would probably ratchet up things again, I think he will do anything to ensure he is not seen to have been defeated, hence my mention in a previous post that he needs a golden ladder to climb down.

Here is the link.
Talks between Russia and Ukraine to resume after deadly attack on military base | Ukraine | The Guardian
I sincerely hope you're right. Unfortunately what happened in alleppo and chechnya suggest that lying - as with the offer of humanitarian corridors around mariupol that were really opportunities for russian artillery to deliberately kill exposed civilians - is an intrinsic part of his strategy.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If Russia does ask China, they might find payment difficult.

CN Wire

@Sino_Market

The Russian Government is due to pay $117 million on two of its dollar-denominated bonds. But it has been signalling it will not, or if its does it will be in roubles, tantamount to a default.-Reuters

No-one wants roubles so I can't see China being keen to accept them. Nor do I imagine China supplying arms for free.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No-one wants roubles so I can't see China being keen to accept them. Nor do I imagine China supplying arms for free.
they trade in Chinese RMB though.
The FTSE reacted positively to the news. Still, I'd like to see Putin indicted in The Hague.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still, I'd like to see Putin indicted in The Hague.
Unlikely to happen though.

The Hague is for lesser figures like Slobodan Milosovich and Radovan Karadic of Serbia.

The top powers don't use it on those at the top of major countries, probably because, "there but for the grace of god go I".

Bush and Blair for example for the Iraq war crimes.

Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Russia stockpiled large amounts of foreign currencies before this action against Ukraine started.
most of that money were deposited in western banks and cannot be used at the moment because of the sanctions placed on The Central Bank of Russia. Those funds are in effect impounded, except in China.
Putin has plenty of missiles but the West has plenty of banking systems.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Britain has warned Vladimir Putin that if a "single toecap" of a Russian solider steps into NATO territory "then it would be war". Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the West had been clear over the response to any aggression on its territory following a bombing near the border with Poland.

Now if I was a Ukrainian Military intelligence officer I would be sorely tempted to collect some Russian Uniforms an weapons and a couple of identifiable Russian Corpses and slip over the border to stage a little show for the Worlds Press

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
most of that money were deposited in western banks and cannot be used at the moment because of the sanctions placed on The Central Bank of Russia. Those funds are in effect impounded, except in China.
Putin has plenty of missiles but the West has plenty of banking systems.
True, but they cannot be guilty of a wilful default if it is not them preventing payment of available funds.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Unlikely to happen though.

The Hague is for lesser figures like Slobodan Milosovich and Radovan Karadic of Serbia.

The top powers don't use it on those at the top of major countries, probably because, "there but for the grace of god go I".

Bush and Blair for example for the Iraq war crimes.
I reckon the West can still indict Putin although I accept that the probability that he's dead is greater than that he would appear there.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
True, but they cannot be guilty of a wilful default if it is not them preventing payment of available funds.
agreed.
interbank interest rate at 20%, official inflation 9.2% and next week, the stock market in Moscow may be suspended.
You can't run a modern economy under those conditions.
Apparently, the expeditionary army that Putin sent to Ukraine needs urgently more tyres for their trucks. The war is not going anywhere there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
agreed.
interbank interest rate at 20%, official inflation 9.2% and next week, the stock market in Moscow may be suspended.
Agreed, and why I posted many days ago that they'd be wisest to detach their economy entirely from the outside world for the time being, running it entirely as an internal rouble one, unaffected by what the outside world does economically. They are so resource rich on food, energy and minerals they can easily do that while the West misses their previous access to those resources.

They'd miss the western luxuries of course, but that's good for the propaganda, "Look what the wicked West does to us".

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
agreed.
Apparently, the expeditionary army that Putin sent to Ukraine needs urgently more tyres for their trucks. The war is not going anywhere there.
I, d read the lorries had been fitted with very cheap Chinese tyres but priced as Michelin... Difference went in commanders pockets?
If top is corrupt it figures lower echelons will be too.?? Saw pictures of many wagons with blown out tyres, reduced pressure in them for muddy conditions, but they couldn't cope with flex...???
And, watched a video of an RPG attack (might have been an NLAW) on a Russian convoy of 6 tanks. Second tank was hit, rest turned and ran away from source of fire. All infantry did same. Again, I, m no expert but training should kick in when attacked. Should be instinct to go for attacker. They didn't, they literally ran away. More informative than the missile attack itself.???
This event must go down in our history as the stupidest. Its pointless.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Skoda Enyaq Electric car range test

I have a pal with a Fabia 1.0 TSI 105 bhp that tows a caravan of similar size and weight to the one in the video
40mpg he claims: no way would I pay twice as much for a lemon like the Enyaq EV

Last edited:

Advertisers