Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Three minutes is an eternity when you are facing a missile travelling around Mach 1. Three seconds is somewhere around half a mile.
But not the reverse. If you are guiding a missile externally at a slow moving target like a ship, and just switch on the active radar targetting system a minute before impact, the shipboard radar crew don't have time for countermeasures. If their missile was like an Exocet, the targeting system computes the ships side profile and locks on to a predetermined location

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But not the reverse. If you are guiding a missile externally at a slow moving target like a ship, and just switch on the active radar targetting system a minute before impact, the shipboard radar crew don't have time for countermeasures. If their missile was like an Exocet, the targeting system computes the ships side profile and locks on to a predetermined location
But weren't we discussing the use of satellite data?

And my earlier point about Phalanx-like weaponry is that, once in a dangerous environment, they lock and fire without the crew doing anything.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But weren't we discussing the use of satellite data?

And my earlier point about Phalanx-like weaponry is that, once in a dangerous environment, they lock and fire without the crew doing anything.
Yes... My point being that the satellite data will give the approximate position of the ship , the position of the missile is known by the launch crew, so they only need to turn on its target acquisition sensors when its very close. Radar based target acquisition systems can always be detected ,since the device must send out radio pulses.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just read this in the Kyiv Independent - so believe as much or as little as you wish:

The Times: British SAS troops ‘are training local forces in Ukraine.’ Ukrainian commanders told The Times that British Special Air Service troops have been “on the ground” in and around Kyiv training new and returning recruits to use NLAWs, anti-tank missiles sent by the U.K in February. The British Defense Ministry declined to comment.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Just read this in the Kyiv Independent - so believe as much or as little as you wish:

The Times: British SAS troops ‘are training local forces in Ukraine.’ Ukrainian commanders told The Times that British Special Air Service troops have been “on the ground” in and around Kyiv training new and returning recruits to use NLAWs, anti-tank missiles sent by the U.K in February. The British Defense Ministry declined to comment.
And just seen a report Germany are giving (??) 100 self propelled Howiters. (155mm) to Ukraine. Will actually mean Ukraine has more of them than Germany. Seems a change from Germany and rather a more offensive weapon. (35 mile range)???
Seems to me UK, EU and, US have plenty of faith in Ukraine not losing this war... All this stuff could end up at Putin's disposal..???

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes... My point being that the satellite data will give the approximate position of the ship , the position of the missile is known by the launch crew, so they only need to turn on its target acquisition sensors when its very close. Radar based target acquisition systems can always be detected ,since the device must send out radio pulses.
I'd be surprised if there hasn't been work on passive radar for this purpose. Though location would probably have a major effect on how much radio signal is around to bounce. Hence, in the mid-Pacific might be unusable.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And just seen a report Germany are giving (??) 100 self propelled Howiters. (155mm) to Ukraine. Will actually mean Ukraine has more of them than Germany. Seems a change from Germany and rather a more offensive weapon. (35 mile range)???
Seems to me UK, EU and, US have plenty of faith in Ukraine not losing this war... All this stuff could end up at Putin's disposal..???
Don't know I've ever thought of this before in relation to howitzers, but a built-in self-destruction option might be useful to prevent them being used by the enemy.

Mind, if the specs. for shells available to Russia are different, they might not be much use until some adaption is figured out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The West is starting an arm race that Russia can't win. Step by step, Putin will become stuck into committing more troops and resources until the balance of power is totally one sided. Russia is only supported by a few dictators and they don't usually last very long.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With all the advanced weaponry and western backing they are receiving, I don't think there's any possibility of Ukraine losing the war now.

I see only two possible ends. One of Russia succeeding in getting and holding the southern wedge of Ukraine that gives them permanent land access to Crimea, at the cost of suffering long term ongoing attacks from Ukraine.

Or Ukraine succeeding in driving Russia completely out of Ukraine and Donbass, but leaving them with Crimea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The West is starting an arm race that Russia can't win. Step by step, Putin will become stuck into committing more troops and resources until the balance of power is totally one sided. Russia is only supported by a few dictators and they don't usually last very long.
Yes and no. Russia certainly can't defeat Ukraine now, given all the help the West is giving. It's a proxy war now, Russia versus the West

But dictators actually tend to last for a very long time,far, far longer than democratically elected leaders, and the disadvantage for us will show in the way Russia is unwisely being driven eastwards. The world is splitting into two halves.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes and no. Russia certainly can't defeat Ukraine now, given all the help the West is giving. It's a proxy war now, Russia versus the West

But dictators actually tend to last for a very long time,far, far longer than democratically elected leaders, and the disadvantage for us will show in the way Russia is unwisely being driven eastwards. The world is splitting into two halves.
How long will Putin live? That seems a possible end point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The ultimately ridiculous end point would be Russia hanging on to Crimea, but their Black Sea fleet has been more or less entirely sunk.
Indeed, I'd already seen the irony of that possibility. I can see the end of surface fighting ships, outside of aircraft carriers and their protective vessels.

However, Sevastopol is a deep water port, rare in the Black Sea, so if they hang onto a land corridor from Crimea into Russia it will be economically useful to them. They also have railway line to there from Russia.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But someone did something. Such tanks don't usually burst into flames spontaneously.
Fires do happen in such installations, it doesn't have to be from any attack. If there was anything to it the story wouldn't have died as it has.

While this war is active we'll continue to be in an age of propaganda with every opportunity to spin a story seized upon.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Fires do happen in such installations, it doesn't have to be from any attack. If there was anything to it the story wouldn't have died as it has.

While this war is active we'll continue to be in an age of propaganda with every opportunity to spin a story seized upon.
It is still being discussed, including, for example, on Forbes. Nothing I have seen so far definitively says that it wasn't. Just that it has not been confirmed beyond doubt. Ukraine denies. Russia alleges. Video is questionable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is still being discussed, including, for example, on Forbes. Nothing I have seen so far definitively says that it wasn't. Just that it has not been confirmed beyond doubt. Ukraine denies. Russia alleges. Video is questionable.
That's the point, there is nothing definitive, everything is questionable, so being at a time of war when propaganda is rife, it's best to totally disregard it all as worthless.

Advertisers