Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today, I actually saw the Caspian Sea!

And it can carry more than any aircraft!

Gross Tonnage: 63416
Summer DWT: 114218 t

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Today, I actually saw the Caspian Sea!

And it can carry more than any aircraft!

Gross Tonnage: 63416
Summer DWT: 114218 t
It's warming up nicely then in Wales, for ship spotting... Do you use binoculars or a telescope at the pier? Are there nice beaches near you? Or do you go picking cockles in the shallows? Fresh Welsh Samphire Grass is lovely - a grocer mate of mine used to collect it to sell fresh for big bucks, to fine seafood restaurants in Beaumaris, as well as foraged exotic fungi - I don't think anyone died...

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's warming up nicely then in Wales, for ship spotting... Do you use binoculars or a telescope at the pier? Are there nice beaches near you? Or do you go picking cockles in the shallows? Fresh Welsh Samphire Grass is lovely - a grocer mate of mine used to collect it to sell fresh for big bucks, to fine seafood restaurants in Beaumaris, as well as foraged exotic fungi - I don't think anyone died...
My avatar is actually one of the nearby beaches! It links up to the next beach south at low tide. The only difficulty with beaches is access - some you can park near, or there is a steep walk, etc. But there are lots of them.

From the same beach, but on the seawall, I took the one below. Caspian Sea is the one to the left.

Same place, but zoomed in on computer. Caspian Sea is to the left.

From Milford Haven across the waterway to a major oil products terminal.

And the vessels are identified by VesselFinder Lite app. Even if I can read a name, that tells me lots of details such as type, size, flag, etc.

Cockling is prohibited. A few beaches down is a significant source of seaweed which is sold commercially.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My avatar is actually one of the nearby beaches! It links up to the next beach south at low tide. The only difficulty with beaches is access - some you can park near, or there is a steep walk, etc. But there are lots of them.

From the same beach, but on the seawall, I took the one below. Caspian Sea is the one to the left.

View attachment 46603

Same place, but zoomed in on computer. Caspian Sea is to the left.

View attachment 46604

From Milford Haven across the waterway to a major oil products terminal.

View attachment 46605

And the vessels are identified by VesselFinder Lite app. Even if I can read a name, that tells me lots of details such as type, size, flag, etc.

Cockling is prohibited. A few beaches down is a significant source of seaweed which is sold commercially.

Those beaches look ideal for kite battles! I worry about radioactive seaweed...

Does that app reveal what a given vessel is carrying? Rufugees could turn pirate, get kitted up with foilboards and cutlasses to storm Dover! :eek:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Those beaches look ideal for kite battles! I worry about radioactive seaweed...

Does that app reveal what a given vessel is carrying? Rufugees could turn pirate, get kitted up with foilboards and cutlasses to storm Dover!
Yes - you often see various kite-pulled devices - whether tricycles, or water-borne. They get up to incredible speeds.

You also see someone come with their horse and trap - training in circles on the sand. A little north, the beach is regularly used for riding experiences and exercising horses.

It almost doesn't matter the weather, someone will be doing something on the water.

I worry about the iodine content of seaweed - rather than any radioactivity. Iodine supplementation, especially where you have only a guess as to how much the products contain, can cause problems to thyroids.

However, I shall be collecting some seaweed for use on my potato plants.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes - you often see various kite-pulled devices - whether tricycles, or water-borne. They get up to incredible speeds.

You also see someone come with their horse and trap - training in circles on the sand. A little north, the beach is regularly used for riding experiences and exercising horses.

It almost doesn't matter the weather, someone will be doing something on the water.

I worry about the iodine content of seaweed - rather than any radioactivity. Iodine supplementation, especially where you have only a guess as to how much the products contain, can cause problems to thyroids.

However, I shall be collecting some seaweed for use on my potato plants.
I think you have to be careful composting seaweed because of it's abundance of metals, depending on the type. You grow potatoes? Planted them yet? The frosts might be over, but one never knows - it's been the mildest winter I can remember and the old saying "In with a roar, out with a wimper, or in with a wimper, out with a roar", springs to mind. All bets are off, with todays climate. I'm a bit late planting pumpkins this year, so they won't grow gargantuan like last. I've still got 10 large pumpkins left from last October. Thinking broad bean plug plants, they're hardy and can be planted now.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think you have to be careful composting seaweed because of it's abundance of metals, depending on the type. You grow potatoes? Planted them yet? The frosts might be over, but one never knows - it's been the mildest winter I can remember and the old saying "In with a roar, out with a wimper, or in with a wimper, out with a roar", springs to mind. All bets are off, with todays climate. I'm a bit late planting pumpkins this year, so they won't grow gargantuan like last. I've still got 10 left from last October. Thinking broad bean plug plants, they're hardy and can be planted now.
It's a tradition to plant them on Good Friday. (I think there is something of the resurrection about this.)

And this is a very mild part of the country. We tend to avoid almost all snow, and get few serious frosts. Similarly, when SE England shoots up, it is usually several degrees lower.

Further, they are in pots on a gravel pathway. That retains a lot of solar gain, which would tend to keep that tiny area a bit warmer than other parts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a tradition to plant them on Good Friday. (I think there is something of the resurrection about this.)

And this is a very mild part of the country. We tend to avoid almost all snow, and get few serious frosts. Similarly, when SE England shoots up, it is usually several degrees lower.

Further, they are in pots on a gravel pathway. That retains a lot of solar gain, which would tend to keep that tiny area a bit warmer than other parts.
Ah yes, the sea regulates the temperature - I recall it being a fine day on Anglesey, and yet deadly cold and snowy when one arrives in Snowdonia just a few miles away. I've planted a lot of wild strawberry plants and "Da von! Troo! Straw! Bereeeee!" Raymond Blanc's favourite strawberry variety the Marshmello, which he's absolutely correct about as they are utterly delicious. Supermarket varieties are selected for shelf-life, not flavour. The Marshmellos change flavour within a couple of hours. The wild spread like wild providing ground cover, so much less weeding, and they continually fruit all summer instead of just once month... but they are tiny (but tasty) fruits.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ah yes, the sea regulates the temperature - I recall it being a fine day on Anglesey, and yet deadly cold and snowy when one arrives in Snowdonia just a few miles away. I've planted a lot of wild strawberry plants and "Da von! Troo! Straw! Bereeeee!" Raymind Blanc's favourite strawberry variety, which he's absolutely correct about as they are utterly delicious. The wild spread like wild providing ground cover, so much less weeding, and they continually fruit all summer instead of just once month... but they are tiny (but tasty) fruits.
We have the Preselis just a bit north. You can sometimes see them white-capped while it is pleasant here. And even more often, with mist or fog across the tops.

We find the weather can vary between here, the beach were those photos were taken, Milford Haven, etc.

Sometimes between warm and brilliant sunshine to cool and awful visibility.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ah yes, the sea regulates the temperature - I recall it being a fine day on Anglesey, and yet deadly cold and snowy when one arrives in Snowdonia just a few miles away. I've planted a lot of wild strawberry plants and "Da von! Troo! Straw! Bereeeee!" Raymond Blanc's favourite strawberry variety the Marshmello, which he's absolutely correct about as they are utterly delicious. Supermarket varieties are selected for shelf-life, not flavour. The Marshmellos change flavour within a couple of hours. The wild spread like wild providing ground cover, so much less weeding, and they continually fruit all summer instead of just once month... but they are tiny (but tasty) fruits.
The most delicious potatoes I ever grew, were planted in soil extremely rich in clay. Those Kind Edward's were tiny but boy! I've never tasted better.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Jersey Royals used to be fertilised by much seaweed. Despite just being International Kidney variety, they did taste good.

No longer - they are usually pretty tasteless. I prefer several Pembrokeshire potatoes, such as those sold under the name Pembrokeshire Earlies. At the right time of year.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Jersey Royals used to be fertilised by much seaweed. Despite just being International Kidney variety, they did taste good.

No longer - they are usually pretty tasteless. I prefer several Pembrokeshire potatoes, such as those sold under the name Pembrokeshire Earlies. At the right time of year.
Be careful with seaweed though - removal of problematic minerals by chelation isn't easy. What happened to Jersey Royals anyway? Maybe they need very rich soil for flavour - the difference between King Eds grown in soil and clay was like night and day, in terms of flavour. Never tried Pembrokeshire Earlies - I prefer growing pumpkins because I don't have much spare time, and once they grow to about 1ft tall, they look after themselves by outgrowing all weeds at a rate of 8 inches a day for 15ft in all directions. Frogs love hanging out under the immense canopy of green, humidly hidden from predators. Growing potatoes is quite literally back breaking, but also very rewarding as I recall.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's a pic of when the plants were still small, two and a half months later they were four times the size. After attaning 1ft in height, all they need is water and sunshine...

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If only I liked pumpkin...

Butternut is OK, but am not keen on most of the others I have tried. Including pumpkin pie.
The type I grow "Crown Prince" tastes a lot like particularly flavoursome butternut squash. If you happen by an Afro Caribbean or Eastern/Indian shop, they're currently being sold for £5 a slice... if you fancy a nibble. They're actually from Russia originally, with an unexceptional looking grey/green coloured thick skin. Sweeter, denser and more crumbly than butternut (like Maris Piper is floury as opposed to waxy), and they taste nothing like those horrible big watery horrible orange skinned pumpkins, which people rightly carve up for Halloween rather than eat. The ten I have left I'll juice and reduce and freeze for soup stock, until they new ones grow. Well worth a try.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes - I do know them. And have tried. Maybe it was what we did with it, but it wasn't my taste!

(Long time ago, so can't even remember.)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Smiley pony girl hasn't heard about Satan II

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes - I do know them. And have tried. Maybe it was what we did with it, but it wasn't my taste!

(Long time ago, so can't even remember.)
They're delicious in a lamb curry, or any meat curry... but each to their own. Not sure if I'll have much time this year to grow them. Will deffo have a lot of strawberry plants.

Last edited:

Advertisers