Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder how Conservative Central Office feel about this:

Met police delay updates on Partygate fines until after May local elections
Spokesman says investigations to continue but further information will not be released until after 5 May

Our expectations could be even worse than any reality. And this allows everyone to foster that impression - which they will do.

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder how Conservative Central Office feel about this:

Met police delay updates on Partygate fines until after May local elections
Spokesman says investigations to continue but further information will not be released until after 5 May

Our expectations could be even worse than any reality. And this allows everyone to foster that impression - which they will do.
The conservatives are stuck with BJ until they can find a better PM and in the meantime, BJ continues to endure weekly humiliation at PMQ and Labour chalk up a few by-election wins.
Still, it amazes me that the conservatives can't find a better PM than Johnson.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still, it amazes me that the conservatives can't find a better PM than Johnson.
I'm sure they can but don't want to at present. They know the prospects for the country are going to be bad for a long time yet, so bringing in someone better now just gives time for him to be cast as another failing to improve our situation.

Perhaps better to cling onto Johnson if they can and let him take all the blame, replacing him Autumn 2023 in time to fiddle some good outcomes for the new face in the run up to the May 2024 General Election.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm sure they can but don't want to at present. They know the prospects for the country are going to be bad for a long time yet, so bringing in someone better now just gives time for him to be cast as another failing to improve our situation.

Perhaps better to cling onto Johnson if they can and let him take all the blame, replacing him Autumn 2023 in time to fiddle some good outcomes for the new face in the run up to the May 2004 General Election.
Have to say, I have had itchy fingers wanting to send a letter to Sir Graham Brady. Sure, I am not a tory MP (honestly!), so it will be ignored. But I'd have the satisfaction of having put my letter in to him.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If only I liked pumpkin...

Butternut is OK, but am not keen on most of the others I have tried. Including pumpkin pie.
The juice tastes great - I'll be drinking as much as I can to turn myself orange.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reply from my MP (main body only):

Thank you for your email regarding the breaking of Covid laws in 10 Downing Street during the pandemic. I have noted your comments.

These are very serious matters and should not be downplayed or trivialised in any way. The fines in relation to these events are in no way comparable to parking or speeding tickets.

I said right at the start of this controversy that no one is above the law and that the Met Police should investigate the allegations of Covid rules being broken https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/22/tory-mps-back-calls-for-criminal-investigation-into-partygate. They are continuing to do their work but, as you have seen, they have already issued a number of fixed penalty notices which indicates that rules were indeed broken including by the Prime Minister.

The House of Commons has also now agreed to refer to the Privileges Committee the question of whether the Prime Minister deliberately misled the House of Commons over these events.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Perhaps better to cling onto Johnson if they can and let him take all the blame, replacing him Autumn 2023 in time to fiddle some good outcomes for the new face in the run up to the May 2024 General Election.
it was rumoured that the old rank and file are busy talking up Jeremy Hunt. I am pretty sure he'll be ready after the May local election.
I probably heard it on Newsnight last night but can't remember.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it was rumoured that the old rank and file are busy talking up Jeremy Hunt. I am pretty sure he'll be ready after the May local election.
I probably heard it on Newsnight last night but can't remember.
I'm sure he'd be ready, but I'm not so sure the old guard of the 1922 committee want it to happen yet.

Events will probably be the decider, things like more fines, Sue Gray's report being worse than expected and Johnson getting visibly more and more rattled by these events.

Reactions: POLLY

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Johnson's get out of jail free card, may again save his hide

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The House of Commons has also now agreed to refer to the Privileges Committee the question of whether the Prime Minister deliberately misled the House of Commons over these events.
4 out of 7 in that committee are Tories, even if one or two of those Tories turn, it won't amount to much at the next stage.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Johnson's get out of jail free card, may again save his hide

View attachment 46644
We're ok in Croydon, London:

Croydon data.jpg

National Death Rate per 100,000 = 2.4

Croydon Death Rate per 100,000 = 0.3

And it's much the same in much of London and has been consistently so since mid 2020.

Vaccination rates:

Two Doses National = 86.4%
Two Doses Croydon = 64.7%

Booster National = 68%
Booster Croydon = 45.5%

Doesn't say much for the efficacy of the vaccines!

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If a PM gets sent an FPN for partying, does it literally get posted to them as individuals?

If a PM receives post addressed to them as individuals, who would open the letter?

If that person is not the PM, would they tell the PM while he is in India? Would they tell anyone else? And could that other person be an employee? Or a wife?

In other words, could Johnson receive an FPN but not know about it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he may not want to know about it but his aides will have told him.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If a PM gets sent an FPN for partying, does it literally get posted to them as individuals?

If a PM receives post addressed to them as individuals, who would open the letter?

If that person is not the PM, would they tell the PM while he is in India? Would they tell anyone else? And could that other person be an employee? Or a wife?

The party wouldn't dare announce that he hasn't received a further FPN without checking if the Met Police have issued one. Johnson might be slapdash about legal matters but his party aides wouldn't be, knowing how many political banana skins are around.

Reactions: oyster and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The party wouldn't dare announce that he hasn't received a further FPN without checking if the Met Police have issued one. Johnson might be slapdash about legal matters but his party aides wouldn't be, knowing how many political banana skins are around.
But the Met shouldn't be telling anyone other than the subject.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the Met shouldn't be telling anyone other than the subject.
Nice theory. :)

But apart from anything else, he's the PM, he and his office will get different treatment, so I've no doubt they have a direct phone number to a liason officer in the Met for any of the many inquiries the government might have.

It's only ordinary bods like us who have to go to a police station enquiry desk and then queue for ages before it's our turn to get fobbed off without a satisfactory answer.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Police have quite the control of the news cycle now - BJ had better keep taking trips abroad...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm happy for him to go abroad.

Just wish he wouldn't come back.
He could have toured India by zoom. He's trying to space bad news out... in between attempting to look serious, sober and Prime Ministerial. Our very own teflon don may yet be fortunate through happenstances approaching from a variety of directions, any of which could be utilised to offset negative perception of being on the wrong side of the law: war, famine, pestilence etc. The era of integrity in political life died a death long ago, this political age is all about smoke and mirrors (more than it used to be, arguably).

Last edited:

Advertisers