Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
They're cheaper than:

But one works and the other does not.
Remould tyres were cheaper than new ones. Nobody with any sense used them.
And, you don't need to do a scan. Get a pair of subscapular prongs. Take 3 measurements and jobs done. BMI gives almost no indication of %age fat,which is the important measure. It was a stupid idea 45 years ago. It's now a stupid old fashioned one.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
BPs were like 136/ 90 yellow zone not red
My BP rises after food, stays elevated for a couple of hours - does/did yours tread into red after eating?

weight 95kg
I'm no doctor, but a good rule of thumb seems to be: If you don't have zero abdominal fat ie no paunch whatsoever, it needs to be lost - it's allegedly (justifiably blamed, I think) an indicator/predictor of many a health calamity. I'm continuing my weight loss efforts, until I can see clearly see my abdominal muscles (without cutting myself open - I don't want that clear a view) again.

non smoking , no drinking,
Like many academics and coders: do you drink a lot of mega-strong coffee? Narrows arteries, increases cortisol?

Weight is hovering at 90Kg
130 to 110 and 80/60
That's great! Heading in the right direction.

But I'm confused as to why you have 11 stents.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'm no doctor, but a good rule of thumb seems to be: If you don't have zero abdominal fat ie no paunch whatsoever, it needs to be lost - it's allegedly (justifiably, I think) an indicator/predictor of many a health calamity
Think you need to find evidence for this. Because I think Guerney but that's not just wrong it's dangerous.
Any degree of body fat is a precursor to serious health issues? Perhaps if you, ve chain smoked parky rough and drunk a bottle of whisky every day all your life.???

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Well, yes. BMI is cheap quick and dirty; ticks a cheap paperless box on a screen. Athletes are outliers, and for them, BMI isn't useful. It not useful for older people either.
It's not usefuil for big built, small built, training, very tall, very short, very broad...the list goes on.
Athletes are not outliers, they demonstrate the faults of BMI.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Think you need to find evidence for this. Because I think Guerney but that's not just wrong it's dangerous.
Any degree of body fat is a precursor to serious health issues? Perhaps if you, ve chain smoked parky tough and drunk a bottle of whisky every day all your life.???
Lol. This from a man with really bad heart problems - do your own homework. I did. @Danidl is more than capable of doing his own thinking, and wouldn't trust something he read written by some bloke on a forum.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not usefuil for big built, small built, training, very tall, very short, very broad...the list goes on.
Athletes are not outliers, they demonstrate the faults of BMI.
The model makes assumptions.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Lol. This from a man with really bad heart problems - do your own homework. @Danidl is more than capable of doing his own thinking, and wouldn't trust something he read written by some bloke on a forum.
Fair point but I, m not advising people to fast and lose all their body fat. Both utterly bonkers if you are trying to be healthy.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Fair point but I, m not advising people to fast and lose all their body fat. Both utterly bonkers if you are trying to be healthy.
I have posted that if I were in your shoes, I would reduce calories gently and not by much (see other posts) - whatever you decide to do, if anything, is up to you.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The model makes assumptions.
Bad ones. It's a very dangerous and misleading measure. Set your goals by it at your peril. Take any 2 people at random with equal BMI and chances are their %age body fat are completely different. So what's point in using it.?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bad ones. It's a very dangerous and misleading measure. Set your goals by it at your peril. Take any 2 people at random with equal BMI and chances are their %age body fat are completely different. So what's point in using it.?
Oh no. I find myself in an endless discussion... what to do? Do you enjoy very very long discussions? Call me selfish but I'm not sure that I do, not if clarity or knowledge of some sort isnt gained by doing so to any significant degree.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have posted that if I were in your shoes, I would reduce calories gently and not by much (see other posts) - whatever you decide to do, if anything, is up to you.
I see that Guerney but you do make some rather sweeping statements, with little if any evidence to corroborate. (Zero fat around abdomen is probably both impossible and dangerous)
??? All I, m saying is supply some evidence.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mind you... this thread is apparently endless, bounded by the OS's 64 bits.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Oh no. I find myself in an endless discussion... what to do? Do you enjoy very very long discussions? Call me selfish but I'm not sure that I do, not if clarity or knowledge of some sort isnt gained by doing so to any significant degree.
Agreed. I, ll sign out.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I see that Guerney but you do make some rather sweeping statements, with little if any evidence to corroborate. (Zero fat around abdomen is probably both impossible and dangerous)
??? All I, m saying is supply some evidence.
Nah, you do your own homework. Your life depends on it, not mine. Well, not yet.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Agreed. I, ll sign out.
No, I'll sign out and you can continue with the other forumites. I don't want to obstruct your activities in the least.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My BP rises after food, stays elevated for a couple of hours - does/did yours tread into red after eating?

I'm no doctor, but a good rule of thumb seems to be: If you don't have zero abdominal fat ie no paunch whatsoever, it needs to be lost - it's allegedly (justifiably blamed, I think) an indicator/predictor of many a health calamity. I'm continuing my weight loss efforts, until I can see clearly see my abdominal muscles (without cutting myself open - I don't want that clear a view) again.

Like many academics and coders: do you drink a lot of mega-strong coffee? Narrows arteries, increases cortisol?

That's great! Heading in the right direction.

But I'm confused as to why you have 11 stents.
I like coffee.. so yes . Would have drunk a lot . Typically now it's two Nespresso Vertuo ..the big cups per day. .
No.. BP would never?? Or very rarely in Red ..it might go into the yellow orange zone after popcorn ... Cooked in rapeseed oil , but with salt.
But remember those BPs are with lots of medicine...
Trying as a experiment ..with the Cardiologists permission to not use the beta blocker. Thats2 months now.
But the stents are very real . The belching episodes of 2+ years ago showed that the two main arteries feeding the heart muscle were at 95% and 85% clogged . At 100% , it's curtains (for the one which was then at 95%.. . Unfortunately the 85% one after been stented was fine and then started clogging up again ..and on two occasions went to 100% clogged. The symptoms being this tired jaw .. . One of those was a close call.. there is a blood enzyme which indicates imminent heart attack ,and my level was 40 times quiescent value. Each time I have been back, there is a rebore.
Subsequently a third artery was stented to help, should the one which clogs fail again. The last time I was in , July, he used a new style stent on the clogging artery and Ithink it is doing the trick
Anyway I am scheduled for yet another angiogram in December ...,but everything seems ok .
But the answer to your question is hereditary .. Grandfather on mother's side went very early, my own father at 72 , my elder brother had a treble bypass ,

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Agreed. I, ll sign out.
No, I'll sign out and you can continue with the other forumites. I don't want to obstruct your activities in the least.
Now, now, the two of you can't abandon us like that. In the absence of somatising it's either about zaphorizia being bombed, or chunt's minibudget, or god forfucking bid (did that make it through the censor, did it? did it?) brexit diffusing and imploding like the stale flatulate it (and all the converted prostitutes "who never voted for it, guv") is, or the moon drifting away.
Edit: not that there is anything wrong with somatising. I was chatting with the wife the other day about the recent discovery that leprosy, which is hosted in the livers of armadillos, help the organism to regenerate new, healthy, functional liver. To of course consume, so not entirely altruistically. But from a scientific point of view it puts regenerating ones organs, eternal life, within reach. If we can unravel the mechanism (a big if). Then we realised we were also talking about relationships, the way they can be ambiguous, ambivalent. Just saying, one never know where things might take one..

Last edited:

Advertisers