Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bench presses with high weight at low reps = big pectoral muscles and shoulders. Low weight at high reps = smaller pecs - use shoulder press for shoulders... is my advice to He-Man. Also get fingers grafted onto those muscular tits, because two swords are better than one.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Big muscles are sprinting muscles - FF to the head to head near the end.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do hope the onshore wind farm row blows Truss out of hiding, causing Tory polling to nosedive...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wilko Johnson, guitarist, died today age 75. He regularly popped into PMT (professional music technology) next door to us.
RiP.
I've been practising his technique. I've never liked plectrums... but they are useful as spudgers.

His impressively psychotic eyes, made it onto Game of Thrones as executioner:

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I haven't really been keeping up with the news recently.
Do we know why there seems to be these massive delays to get into A&E ?
They don't call in hospital and agency staff, until the waiting room is completely full. The last time I had need to use A&E was four years ago: I saw the consulation area while lost and looking for the toilets - it was totally empty until agency and other staff were called in at about 4am. We had been waiting since 6pm.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The last time I was at A&E which is about this time last year, I waited already more than 12 hours for treatment. They have a conveyor belt system, if your treatment is uncomplicated, you will be seen by a triage nurse, a junior doctor then a consultant. Each stage takes a minimum of 3 hours wait. After that, you wait for your turn at the specific department that deals with treatment. I spent two more days waiting for my turn. The whole thing could have been sorted out in a couple of hours if I were in France. How much did it cost to give me a bed in hospital? Queues are bad for efficiency.
I am against a two tier system nhs but I cannot see how we can do more with the current system.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I hearing the grid might be under extreme pressure to cope tomorrow evening. Low temperatures, no wind to drive the electricity windmills, France having less slack in their system and everyone (except me) staying in to watch football have combined to create this situation.

Shall we all boil our kettles at 19:45 hrs tomorrow and see if we can shut the system down? My iron lung will run on the UPS for a couple of hours, so I should be ok.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am against a two tier system nhs but I cannot see how we can do more with the current system.
It's the only way now.

Since 2008 I've been operating a multi tier system, largely ignoring the NHS.

1) Being my own doctor and being more successful than two NHS GPs and one consultant I've had through that period.

2) Using private medicine paid for by the NHS by using NHS Redirect.

3) Paying for private hospital treatment when there was a clear gain to be had.

4) Using my NHS doctor's fear of covid to get him to prescribe over the phone what I decide I need.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hearing the grid might be under extreme pressure to cope tomorrow evening. Low temperatures, no wind to drive the electricity windmills, France having less slack in their system and everyone (except me) staying in to watch football have combined to create this situation.

Shall we all boil our kettles at 19:45 hrs tomorrow and see if we can shut the system down? My iron lung will run on the UPS for a couple of hours, so I should be ok.
Simple solution. Watch the late evening World Cup highlights programs on BBC 1 or ITV 1.

That avoids overloading the peak time and usefully cuts out all the long boring bits when players are just punting the ball around the middle of the pitch while looking for opportunities to cripple each other.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boris Johnson has said he will stand for re-election as an MP again at the next GE. I'm astonished that the Uxbridge constituency party have said that he consistently delivered, given that he lied to them in order to get them to accept him as their candidate and all his deceit since.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and Woosh

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Try The Conservative Woman website, or The Expose or Health Impact News. They all give some idea of why we have problems with our 'Health Service'. My brother had to wait 24 hours on a plastic chair in Guildford Hospital when he took his wife there last May.

• Informative
Reactions: GLJoe and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
City of Chester by-election result: 13.8% swing from conservative to Labour.
Does not look good for Sunak.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Boris Johnson has said he will stand for re-election as an MP again at the next GE. I'm astonished that the Uxbridge constituency party have said that he consistently delivered, given that he lied to them in order to get them to accept him as their candidate and all his deceit since.
I’ve come to the conclusion that British people are mainly idiots. Let them vote him back in. They deserve all they get.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I’ve come to the conclusion that British people are mainly idiots. Let them vote him back in. They deserve all they get.
If we only voted on merits of individuals nobody would be PM..
Boris reminds me of Churchill's view of democracy.
Basically both are shite but best we have.
Still rather have him than Chunt, Shitnak, Harmer, LizBust....
I, d probably vote for Ben Wallace, well more for his ancestor. But we hung drew and quarted him.. Seems rather lenient at moment.

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boris reminds me of Churchill's view of democracy.
Basically both are shite but best we have.
That Churchillian view shared by Johnson has always been utter bunkum.

Their single party favouring "democracy" isn't in any way the best we have.

The best we could have available is proportional representation, but neither want that since they and their ilk could no longer always get their own way to enrich themselves at our cost.

With PR we'd still be one of the EU's better off members, instead of now being among Europe's poorer countries.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That Churchillian view shared by Johnson has always been utter bunkum.

Their single party favouring "democracy" isn't in any way the best we have.

The best we could have available is proportional representation, but neither want that since they and their ilk could no longer always get their own way to enrich themselves at our cost.

With PR we'd still be one of the EU's better off members, instead of now being among Europe's poorer countries.
Agreed, but Churchill was speaking about democracy in general and not our faulty version of it.. (but then again all versions are faulty one way or another)
The point was, and is, bad as BJ is he is better than rest. The whole lot of them, not just Tories, and the system itself are corrupted. I, m not sure introducing PR would help either.
Changing management style and selection process won't change team when you have no decent players.
The country needs a rethink and restart completely changing why people go into politics in first place. It's simply selecting wrong people. Trustworthy folk in politics?? Putting it mildy, they are a tiny minority.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The country needs a rethink and restart completely changing why people go into politics in first place. It's simply selecting wrong people.
Agreed, but PR is precisely how that can be achieved, since it cannot entirely keep out all the decent and sensible in the way that the first past the post system can be corrupted to do that. PR brings multiple parties which can only form governments by the consensus that gives influential voice to all opinion.

But PR alone is not the only solution to all our ills. A complete change in accepted economic opinion is needed to expose the myth that globalisation is the way forward for all.

It is not, it is in fact humanity's greatest enemy in multiple ways. China of all the most unlikely countries has realised that and is setting out to correct it. Japan too has realised it, and although for entirely the wrong reasons, even Donald Trump was unknowingly on the right lines when he promoted "America First" as a policy.

Indeed, even Brexit could have been a good policy to aim for eventually, had it been by using the right policies and for the right reasons, instead of the spurious ones given.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Agreed, but PR is precisely how that can be achieved, since it cannot entirely keep out all the decent and sensible in the way that the first past the post system can be corrupted to do that. PR brings multiple parties which can only form governments by the consensus that gives influential voice to all opinion.

But PR alone is not the only solution to all our ills. A complete change in accepted economic opinion is needed to expose the myth that globalisation is the way forward for all.

It is not, it is in fact humanity's greatest enemy in multiple ways. China of all the most unlikely countries has realised that and is setting out to correct it. Japan too has realised it, and although for entirely the wrong reasons, even Donald Trump was unknowingly on the right lines when he promoted "America First" as a policy.

Indeed, even Brexit could have been a good policy to aim for eventually, had it been by using the right policies and for the right reasons, instead of the spurious ones given.
Exactly. Globalisation is certainly not way forward. Caused more problems than it solved. Suspect its actually in decline...

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
bad as BJ is he is better than rest.
Johnson is economically incompetent, a proven liar and permanently lazy.
Truss is clumsy but at least, she called a spade a spade when she fell out with Braverman. Sunak is not only more intelligent and quicker than Johnson, he is more likely to limit the damage to our economy.
Time for the conservatives is up. The NHS, trains, water, electricity, post office, universities and private schools etc, everything point to the downside of selling off the family's silvers.
The sooner they call a new election the better.

Advertisers